OT Did You Know It Costs More Than a Penny to Make a Penny?

Page 2 of 2

or have a very jagged edge or hole in the coin somewhere, there are ways beyond size to make money distinctive
On 1/18/2011 12:53 PM, Harry K wrote:

The Canadian ones are the same size and they are used a lot because they stopped printing $1 bills. Our treasury doesn't want to loose any business so they keep wasting money on $1 bills. That's why the US dollar coin isn't used.

I have metal detected for nearly thirty years now. The new pennies will degrade in the ground in a year or so. The old copper ones last decades, and will degrade, but only in acetic or basic soils. In neutral soils, they will stay good for a very long time. Silver and gold, too.
Steve