OT: Did You Know?

Letters 'a', 'b', 'c' and 'd' do not appear if you spell any of the numbers between 1 and 99 [Funnily enough, letter 'd' comes for the first time in Hundred]

In addition, letters 'a', 'b' and 'c' do not appear anywhere in the spellings of

1 to 999 [Strange, but true, letter 'a' comes for the first time in Thousand]

Neither letter 'b' nor 'c' appear anywhere in the spellings of 1 to 999,999,999 [Letter 'b' comes for the first time in Billion]

Letter 'c' does not appear anywhere in the spellings of entire English counting.

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Interesting. I'm looking for letter "Q" now. Up to 3,367,992. Still haven't seen it, but I'll find it. Got any tips? Do I really have to go to a quintillion?

Reply to
Vic Smith

"one octillion" isn't there :)

BTW, these things (like one,two, three) are NUMERALS. I learned that in

4th grade.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Quadrillion comes before quintillion

Reply to
clare

There is a lot of repetition in numeral names. No need to check them all

one O N E two T W three H R four F U five I V six S X seven eight G nine ten eleven L twelve thirteen fifteen twenty Y thirty forty fifty hundred D thousand A million M billion B trillion quadrillion Q quintillion sextillion septillion P octillion C nonillion decillion

still no J, K, or Z

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'd like to buy a 'Z', Alex.

Reply to
krw

Thanks. I'm done now. That saved me some time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I bet they taught you silly things like "gender" is a property of nouns not of people, too.

Reply to
krw

How about Apéry's constant?

Reply to
Bill

I didn't know that and to think I got a college degree from an accredited college. Shameful isn't it :(

Reply to
Doug

Well, only if you limit yourself to a radix of ten.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

So what? I don't see 'z', or 'q'.

Reply to
harryagain

Just show me the "money" !!

Reply to
Doug

Centillion? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

for the victims of public education: gazillion

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds