OT Did people only use bumper jacks?

Page 4 of 4
Steve B wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

In the Maryland area, ION TV has Patty Duke, the Original Outer Limits, Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt and loads of old stuff. It's free, off-the-air HD TV. They also show all sorts of old movies from the 60's and 70's that aren't available from Netflix (never made it to DVD). Better looking HD than Comcast's hyper-compressed cable service.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

air is the way to go for me. If you have broadband ya might try justin.tv Also delicast.com and justtvnuts.com is good for news. If your ISP has capped ur Gig/month use networx to monitor ur bandwidth use. Ya know it isn't that hard to connect a computer to the TV now days and with a remote keyboard and mouse you can watch a lot of streaming on the big screen... I use 4 to 10 gigs bandwidth a day. Mostly market stuff, but also news and entertainment. One thing I would not do is install any software from any site for online streaming and no need to ever pay for software or monthly fee to watch streaming. There are plenty of free sites that work just fine.

Jack stands and wooden blocks have been around forever. Good stands were more expensive than now, but there was more wood around. I didn't trust the first "affordable" sheet metal stands, so used wood blocks until I bought good stands.
Like what happened to you, just about everybody had a car slip off a jack. Probably more then than now, since tires weren't as good and there were more roads where you had a soft shoulder for the jack base. It was just as stupid to be under a car on a jack then as it is now. First thing I did when I pulled a flat tire on the road was slip the flat under the hub. That way if the car/truck slips off the jack you have room to reposition the jack. Did the same last time I changed a tire on the road. But that was probably 20 years ago. Even a good hydraulic floor jack can leak down or suffer a failure.

I was up in the middle a couple of days ago, and while ripping through the channels saw a few minutes of that same Patty Duke episode.
Back in the 80's, I was driving through downtown LA, and came across one of those HUGE 70's vintage Ford station wagons. It was in a red zone, about 2' out from the curb on a narrow street, and right next to a busy intersection. The back was up way high on a bumper jack, and undulating around while some guy was up under there... like possibly reaching up in area in front of the fuel tank. Oh, and did I mention the two kids playing in the back?
Scared the hell of me, still sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.
Erik

We did brakes with just the bumper jack. To go under the car, we used cement blocks and 2x4's under the axle/control arms.