OT: Did my printer bite the dust?

I have an HP Photosmart C5180 all in one printer, and have not ever had any trouble with it until this morning. I tried to print out a few pages in color and it was showing weird colors, so I checked to see if any cartridges were low in color. It usually gives me a warning window to replace a cartridge, but this time it didn't. I ended up replacing one color cartridge that was nearly empty and it printed out a few more pages, but the color was still off.
Then it gave me an error: "Ink system has failed. Unable to print. Error Oxc18a0401."
I found documentation on how to reset it, but nothing I've tried has worked. I took all the cartridges out, turned it off, unplugged it, turned it back on, put back all the cartridges, and I'm still getting that error. If repairs cost more than a new printer, I guess a new printer is what I'll do. Right now I'm so frustrated with trying to re-set the thing that I'd like to take it outside, toss it off the back porch and beat it to pieces with the largest hammer I can find.
Any ideas? Fixing it, or which would be a good replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
--
Maggie

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 3:10:39 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

I have an Epson 635 Work Force: WIFI, 3-color high capacity cartridges, AIO, prints both sides, can function without a PC. No problems in 5 years...was $90 at Staples at the time. (something like half-off)
On 4/13/2016 3:45 PM, bob_villain wrote:

I wasn't able to find that particular Epson on their site, but I did find ink cartridges for it.
--
Maggie

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 3:10:39 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

I had an HP printer that did similar things, also suddenly refused to commu nicate with my computer. Went thru all the recommended resets, etc, raised my blood pressure somewhat, and decided it wasn't worth any further aggrav ation and trashed it in favor of a fairly inexpensive Canon.
On 4/13/2016 5:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I'm there as far as the raising of my bp goes!
I've been surfing Office Depot and Staples websites and looking for another option. Bob_V recommends Epson 635 Work Force (thanks for your recommendation, Bob), and I've been looking at reviews, and I've seen a canon or two that look promising.
There are so many choices!! I need to be able to scan, copy, & print in color or b&w. I've seen some that'll also FAX, but mixed reviews as to whether they work/don't work/easy-not easy to set up, etc.
Which canon did you end up getting, and has it been reliable and ink prices are through the roof?
--
Maggie

On 4/13/2016 4:10 PM, Muggles wrote:

It needs a Master Reset - Unplug the printer power - Press and hold down the "Help" and "OK" buttons and simultaneously plug the power back in. - Release the Help and OK buttons
On 4/13/2016 5:52 PM, 0ren wrote:

Yes! That actually worked!!! THANKS! OMG... I just need to get a color cartridge that has gone low because of trying various suggestions to re-set it.
Is this the real Oren? Thanks, either way!
--
Maggie

On 04/13/2016 06:11 PM, Muggles wrote:

You mean there are two Orens? OMG!
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 5:52:40 PM UTC-5, 0ren wrote:

Funny about secret resets...I have an old gps that wouldn't hold a charge. On a forum I read to remove the battery for a few minutes then reinstall it. That cured it and it holds a full charge like new.
On 4/13/2016 1:10 PM, Muggles wrote:

it is probably trash and not worth fixing given the price of printers these days.
--
Froz....

It needs a Master Reset - Unplug the printer power - Press and hold down the "Help" and "OK" buttons and simultaneously plug the power back in. - Release the Help and OK buttons
Where did you learn that - In the instruction booklet??????
On 04/13/2016 09:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

My *guess* is that the OP's troubles are not over yet, suspect dried ink in/on the print heads.
On 4/14/2016 3:39 AM, Helen Wait wrote:

I printed a copy in B&W first thing this morning. I'm out of one of the colors, so it allowed me to print in B&W, instead of color. I plan on replacing the color today, so hopefully, I'll have no more problems.
--
Maggie

Start going to rummage sales.
I think one out of every three rummage sales I go to, have one or more printers to sell, for under $5. People buy these printers, use them till the ink runs out, then finds the ink costs more than a new printer. So they buy a new printer and have to pay to dispose the old one. When you find them at rummage sales, the sellers will sell them for almost any price just to get rid of them.
I bet you could find one identical to yours after going to 10 or 20 rummage sales.
Personally, I have not owned a printer in at least 8 years. I print less than 10 pages per year, and by the time I would use it, the ink would probably dry up. If I need something printed, I can put my document on a flash drive, and pay the library 25 cents per page for B&W. I've never had a need to print color. If I want a photo printed, I let Walmart do it. Ink jet printers are no good for photos anyhow. Just the slightest moisture and you ruin the photo.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 12:16:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

But it won't have any ink!!

You make good points. AIUI, laser printers don't dry up however. You might someday find a low-priced used b&w laser printer.