OT: Define "putter"

When I say I'm going to 'putter' at home, it usually means that I have no real plan, but will begin by picking up the shop, or cleaning off the workbench, or do a little lawn work, and get led to where-ever that takes me.

So this headline struck my funnybone this morning-

Somehow my first thought was that he was finally going to get around to scraping the 200 yrs of paint off that window by the Rose garden, so he could open it and get a breeze.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's "putter around" around here...a putter is a piece of golf equipment. Derivation/origin I've no klew...

--

Reply to
dpb

His definition of puttering around the house probably involves phoning a high-end contractor and spending outrageous sums of money to do something like change the toilet paper roll. I wonder how he will survive when he has to spend his money instead of ours?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm sure he still can remember his humble upbringing!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

LOL

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

A country dog came into town, His Christian name was Rex, Unusual was his pedigree, Unusual was his text.

He watered every gateway, He watered every post, For piddling was his specialty And piddling was his boast.

The city curs looked on amazed With a deep and jealous rage To see a simple country dog The piddler of the age.

They sent for champion piddlers Who were always on the go Who sometimes did a piddling trick, Or gave a piddling show.

They sprang these on him suddenly While midway throught the town, But Rex only smiled and polished off, The ablest white or brown.

For Rex was with them every trick, With vigor and with vim, A thousand piddles more or less Were all the same to him

He piddled in the mackeral keg He piddled on the floor And when the grocer kicked him out He piddled on the door.

And so on.

I'm sure the president didn't have that sort of piddling in mind.

Reply to
HeyBub

I can't say one way or the other about that. But I am certain of one thing. I'm sure that Mitt and his wife are, and have always been, proud to be Americans... unlike Mr. Crotch Salute and his wife.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are just too ignorant.

Reply to
Earl

--- begin quote ...in Madison, [Michelle Obama] said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

--- end quote

I can't find an instance of whether the president is, or is not, proud of America. Evidently he has not expressed an opinion on the subject.

Reply to
HeyBub

Could you be specific?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think I spoiled your request. Sorry.

Reply to
HeyBub

You owe me :-) However, I knew if I requested facts he would just run away and hide.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My dad always used to say something sounding like putts around.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It's "putz around"

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Who spells it? They both sound the same.

Reply to
Earl

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are too ignorant. What's this running away to hide stuff? I don't sit in front of the PC 24 hours a day in my mum's basement as you do. Another way you are too ignorant.

Reply to
Earl

But while putts and putz are homophones, they mean different things. Even one who putts on a golf course is likely to putz around his house on occasion. And though he might putt around the house, he is not likely to putz around on the golf course.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

All I am asking for is facts for why you believe I am ignorant. To date you haven't provided any. I don't believe you could because you don't know me. For that I am truly thankful.

I'm asking one last time for facts. If you fail to provide any I could only conclude your contribution to this group, and possibly to society, is negligible at best.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My putting on the golf course would just be "putzing" too!!!

Reply to
clare

I "puttered around" the garage yesterday, exactly as you've described.

I started by taking all the tools out of my van that I had used for a Friday/Saturday volunteer project. That led to cleaning up the area in my garage where I keep many of the things I took out of the van.

While cleaning, I found a clip-on worklight light my wife had bought years ago but never used. It was perfect for extra light over the old desk I use in the garage while working out there. Darn, that's going to mean using up the only spare outlet near the desk since the TV that sits on the nearby shelf was plugged into the other half of the duplex via a short extension cord.

I never liked the extension cord hanging in the air anyway, so I ran a new duplex off the load side of the GFCI and put it closer to the TV. Now the lamp and the TV have their own receptacle and both halves of the GFCI by the door have been freed up for other uses.

Once the storage area (and the desk) had been straightened up, I noticed how badly the floor needed sweeping. Hmmm..this broom handle seems a little loose. Better fix that before it gets any worse.

BTW...the TV was tuned the College Softball World Series the whole time.

It was a perfect day of puttering around, with the sun shining some times and the rain pouring down at others, with me just hanging out in the garage wth door wide open. No pressure and a lot of softball. Who could ask for more?

Reply to
DerbyDad03