OT: Define "putter"

Page 1 of 2
When I say I'm going to 'putter' at home, it usually means that I have no real plan, but will begin by picking up the shop, or cleaning off the workbench, or do a little lawn work, and get led to where-ever that takes me.
So this headline struck my funnybone this morning- http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/06/02/obama_spends_rare_night_at_home_eager_to_putter /
Somehow my first thought was that he was finally going to get around to scraping the 200 yrs of paint off that window by the Rose garden, so he could open it and get a breeze.<g>
Jim
On 6/2/2012 6:06 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

That's "putter around" around here...a putter is a piece of golf equipment. Derivation/origin I've no klew...

His definition of puttering around the house probably involves phoning a high-end contractor and spending outrageous sums of money to do something like change the toilet paper roll. I wonder how he will survive when he has to spend his money instead of ours?

I'm sure he still can remember his humble upbringing!!!
On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:06:00 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

LOL

I can't say one way or the other about that. But I am certain of one thing. I'm sure that Mitt and his wife are, and have always been, proud to be Americans... unlike Mr. Crotch Salute and his wife.

You are just too ignorant.
Earl wrote:

--- begin quote ...in Madison, [Michelle Obama] said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change." --- end quote
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/02/michelle-obam-1-2 /
I can't find an instance of whether the president is, or is not, proud of America. Evidently he has not expressed an opinion on the subject.

Could you be specific?
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I think I spoiled your request. Sorry.

away and hide.

You are too ignorant. What's this running away to hide stuff? I don't sit in front of the PC 24 hours a day in my mum's basement as you do. Another way you are too ignorant.

All I am asking for is facts for why you believe I am ignorant. To date you haven't provided any. I don't believe you could because you don't know me. For that I am truly thankful.
I'm asking one last time for facts. If you fail to provide any I could only conclude your contribution to this group, and possibly to society, is negligible at best.

errr, you don't give facts for your ignorant statement. (the original one). You are boring me very quickly here.

Yup, you're negligible.

The article says that [since he was in Chicago that day] he's going to his own home in Chicago that night, and he wants to putter around the back yard. Makes perfect sense.

You'r e just making that up. You have no idea how he handled home repairs before he was president, or how he will afterwards.

Oren wrote:

A country dog came into town, His Christian name was Rex, Unusual was his pedigree, Unusual was his text.
He watered every gateway, He watered every post, For piddling was his specialty And piddling was his boast.
The city curs looked on amazed With a deep and jealous rage To see a simple country dog The piddler of the age.
They sent for champion piddlers Who were always on the go Who sometimes did a piddling trick, Or gave a piddling show.
They sprang these on him suddenly While midway throught the town, But Rex only smiled and polished off, The ablest white or brown.
For Rex was with them every trick, With vigor and with vim, A thousand piddles more or less Were all the same to him
He piddled in the mackeral keg He piddled on the floor And when the grocer kicked him out He piddled on the door.
And so on.
I'm sure the president didn't have that sort of piddling in mind.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/06/02/obama_spends_rare_night_at_home_eager_to_putter /
My dad always used to say something sounding like putts around.
Greg

It's "putz around"