OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

I left my car at the local Goodyear dealer and told him that 4 of the tires might need to be replaced. He called me on my cell phone and said only one of them needed it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On most Chrysler trannies, from what I hear, "properly serviced" means servicing far more often than even the "severe service" schedule published in the official documentation, however. (talking about FWD here, not the old, better-built 727/904 etc.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

From what I understand the reason is because chrysler intentionally choose to use undersize transmissions (one that one be used on a smaller series is fitted on a larger series) so they run much hotter and destroy the fluid much faster. The only hope of keeping them alive is to do very frequent fluid changes.

Reply to
George

re: "...told him that 4 of the tires might need to be replaced."

How many tires did that car have?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And I have read reports that the Gates timing belt sold for the Chrysler

300M doesn't always even fit correctly.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hvd8p5$8am$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I posted an update and correction/clarification to that this morning at

8:35.

I said:

"That was indeed my point, but I expressed it badly. "To say it more clearly: If you keep the vehicle much over 110K, you've got a belt-change in there anyway, so that money /will/ get spend whether you spend it now or you spend it later. And if you spend it "later", you start to stray into belt-breakage territory, which is not wise with a Honda."

Where that reply went, I don't know, but it's not in my server's copy of this group.

Reply to
Tegger

???? Most of the cost is labor. When I had the rubber band changed in my

4-cyl Accord, they said the diff between OEM and imitation parts was maybe 20 bucks.
Reply to
aemeijers

wrote

Can't speak for Chrysler cars. Never owned one, never will. I know too many people with too many problems on Chrysler car and I never liked their styling.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I always liked how two year old Chryler mini-vans belched fumes like 20 year old Blazers, because engine tolerances were measured in whole inches. I also liked how Chrysler apologists rationalized this by saying the engines were made by someone else - maybe Mitsubishi - I don't recall.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom