OT - credit card upgrade question

Page 4 of 7

A handy service.
Amex allows me to set up my alerts online. I am immediately notified by email for all transactions over $100 and all card not present transactions.

I do the same thing for a less fraud aware family member.

They also have been known to install the unauthorized scanners inside gas pumps and on the front of ATMs. You do the best you can to stay aware but you still may fall victim. Fortunately for me there is no loss for any unauthorized charges on my card so I don't lose much sleep over it.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It depends what POS business has. My store can swipe, read chip, RFID (which POS terminal can read within ~one foot). You don't even need to tap. I seldom see worn out chips, unable to read them. Maybe we swipe cards only couple times a month. My family never uses RFID, only chip.

Good you mentioned that. There is confusion here. There is a difference between the RFID and chip cards. It is the RFID cars that have the potential to give up some information, but the chip cards do not. They are adding security to the transaction.
On 4/9/2015 1:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

using the latest ad most up to date technology.
On 4/9/2015 5:33 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Some times, new and improved... isn't.
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 17:41:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon

dissabled by a magnet - my cell phone, magnetic sunglasses, and who-knows-what.
| Should I destroy the RFID and just use the | magnetic swipe? |
I would and do. With my last card I asked for non-RFID and they refused to issue it, so I found the chip and drilled it out with a very small bit.
Some chips can be found because there's a small bump. Some can be seen through light cards. If you can't find it you may need to order an extra card so you'll have one to shave away looking for the chip, thus telling you where to drill.
Another convenient thing is software to check the chip, to make sure you killed it. I looked around and found that no one sells readers, but then I discovered there's a free Android app that can do it. A friend has an Android phone. I downloaded the free app and held the card under the phone to show the chip ID number. I then drilled out the card and checked again to make sure it was "dead".
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 19:22:17 -0400, "Mayayana"

I wouldn't. Come this October, retailers will be responsible for any fradulent transactions caused by use of the mag stripe on an EMV ("chip") card. Because the retailers will not take on that risk, they will honer the flag encoded on the mag stripe that indicates the card is an EMV card, which means you won't be able to use it.
| I wouldn't. Come this October, retailers will be responsible for any fradulent | transactions caused by use of the mag stripe on an EMV ("chip") card. Because | the retailers will not take on that risk, they will honer the flag encoded on | the mag stripe that indicates the card is an EMV card, which means you won't be | able to use it.
That's possible. They are trying to switch over. If it happens I'll worry about it then. In the meantime, I have 4 cards and only one is (was) chipped. And not all of them are due to expire before October.
It's also not clear to me exactly how that works. The October rule may make a merchant responsible if they don't have a chip reader. That's not the same thing as having a chip reader but the card having a dead chip.
The chip cards in Europe are at least backed up by also requiring a PIN number. That's apparently not going to happen in the US. If I eventually have to accept the chip I'll keep the cards in a fold of aluminum flashing, which I already have in my wallet. I'm trying to phase out use of credit cards, anyway. But I'm also concerned not only with potential security problems but with the increasing use of tracking. Over time, chip cards could end up being used like cookies online, cellphones, or EasyPass on highways -- as a way to track people.
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 9:44:07 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

L?0.ultimately the card issuers are on the hook for fradulent charges, so accept whatever they provide and smile its their problem
bob haller posted for all of us...

Sure and then the card issuer jacks their fees and rates up. The customer pays for everything!
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:47:12 -0400, "Mayayana"

If the US banks do any different they are more foolish than I even thought. They HAVE to be chip and pin to work with the Interac banking system. (world wide interbank system)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Having had a great deal of experience using chip cards around the world, I can tell you EMV cards do not have to be PIN enabled to be used globally. The card tells the credit terminal what type of verification method to use. If the terminal is capable of supporting that type of verification, the transaction is processed.
In the case of a US card that is programmed to prefer signature verification, the card terminal checks to see if it can either print a paper signature slip or capture the signature electronically. If either of those happen, the transaction is processed.
If the card is programmed as signature preferred, but has Online PIN as a secondary verification method and the terminal has a PIN pad (think gas pump or train ticket kiosk), a PIN is requested and the transaction is processed.
If the card doesn't have a PIN (ie Signature only), or the card is programmed to check the PIN validity with the issuer (ie online PIN only) and the terminal is an offline device (ie some gas pumps or kiosks), the transaction is declined.
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I destroy the pins they send, they are only good for cash advances (now).
"G. Morgan" <

Here's one way they can get the pin:
http://www.dump.com/preventtheft/
G. Morgan wrote:

POS handheld unit requests to swipe the card, print out hard copy for signature and receipt for card holder. I never saw a card without chip has PIN. What is such a big deal? Canada as well as whole world has been using chip and PIN for many years already. Maybe because smart card(chip) is an European invention. In some things, U.S. is far behind...???

didn't invent it, they don't want it. Add to that, anything "mandated" or that could possibly collect any data on the user is immediately suspect.