OT - credit card upgrade question

Page 1 of 7
Got a note today from one of my card providers. They will soon be sending me upgrade, a card with RFID chip.
They say that the chip will provide a unique transaction ID number for each purcahse, which will make fraud less likely.
I'm thinking about the various Youtube videos of guys walking around malls with scanners, and harvesting CC numbers and personal data.
Should I destroy the FRFID and just use the magnetic swipe?
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On 4/9/2015 2:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd probably make a shield for it in my wallet.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/credit-card-fraud/rfid-credit-cards/index.htm
Frank wrote:

I always disable it B4 I start using it. In the event card is stolen or misplaced it couild cause problem.
On 4/9/2015 3:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Disable, how? What works for you?

Geet a metal can of Altoids, wintergreen my favorite, eat/enjooy. Place the card in the empty Altoid can for carrying in your pocket. That way you get the best of both worlds, the convenience of 'wireless' charging AND mental satisfaction that no can read it until YOU want it read.

And a nice wintergreen scent every time you pull out your CC...
but what they conceal is vital."
<stuff snipped>

As an added benefit, you'll also get to advertise that you're paranoid with little understanding of modern credit card technology since you're putting an EMV card that can't easily be read remotely into a Faraday cage. <sigh>
Reminds me of a "60 Minutes" episode where they were interviewing a Montana rancher about the Federal government's intrusion into their ranching practices. He was actually making a lot of sense until he pulled out his wallet and pointed to the tiny metal denomination threads embedded in modern US currency and declared "These bands are how the US government tracks every dollar we spend via satellite!" Cue theme from the "Twilight Zone."
I can't help but wonder if somewhere in that 30 odd page credit card agreement that the OP signed there's a clause that makes HIM responsible for any fraudlent charges made on the card after he modified/mutilated it in some way. That would certainly be exactly NOT what the OP wanted to achieve in trying to disable the RFID chip in a card that didn't even *have* one. Off-topic AND off-kilter. A two fer one bonus.
--

Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

Some dude told me they can track exactly how much money you're carrying while walking through the airport. I asked how, and he held up the bill to the light and showed me the strip. I laughed...

I'll bet the IRS longs for the day when there's no more cash and every monetary transaction is monitored by Skynet or its cousin. Hope it never comes.
--
Bobby G.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I go to my bank and ask for them to do it. They know how to. If they refuse I tell them I don't want the card, then they reluctantly do it.
On 04/09/2015 03:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

On the contrary according to an item I read just a few days ago: chip-and-PIN is far more secure, and someone (Wal-Mart big-wig, IIRC) was lamenting that the USA was far too slow in going to chip and PIN -- anyone can forge a signature (does your signature on a sloping shiny surface look anything like the real signature on the back of your card? Has a charge ever been refused because they don't match?). CC fraud is far lower in counties with chip-and-PIN.
In addition to that, the range of RFID cards is supposed to be a matter of inches. I know that the RFID card I had until a while ago had to be touched to the scanner, and the RFID room key for the hotel where I am currently staying has to be touched to the lock. Waving in the general vicinity did not/does not work.
IAC, "chip" does not necessarily mean RFID. One of our new cards has a chip -- with visible contacts -- but is not, AFAIK, RFID. OTOH, the RFID card I mentioned previously did not have visible contacts.
Perce

I'd be more okay with a card that had contacts. Much like pushing in a flash drive into USB port?
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Cards with RFID are noticeably thicker, and they don't have the visible contacts.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Indeed. They can use the chip to find the thief.
On 4/9/2015 2:55 PM, Frank wrote:

Probably for sale, already?
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 17:39:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon

time already. An RF shield wallet prevents a mobile RFID reader from reading the chip (high-tech pick-pockets)
Cannot disable the chip. Chip is secured by a password code. It can be used without cade (tap and go) for purchases up to $50 if I remember correctly. A lot of places cannot or will not scan the magnetic stripe any more.
| We've been using the "chip card" up here in Canada for quite some | time already. An RF shield wallet prevents a mobile RFID reader from | reading the chip (high-tech pick-pockets) |
The problem with that is that someone walking by, or standing next in line, during a transaction could conceivably read the chip while you have it out.
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:49:11 -0400, "Mayayana"

On 4/9/2015 10:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

standard cards.

The only information that can be read with a remote reader (assuming that the reader is within a few inches of the card) is the same information embossed in the card and readable on the mag stripe. Those details are insufficient to create a cloned card.