OT Credit card

Page 7 of 7

I've never understood companies that accept credit cards for small purchases, but refuse to take a check. We have a local Subway restaurant that does such a thing. I am well aware that any credit card transaction under $10 costs that company about 50cents. So I go to Subway, order a $6 sandwich, and if I pay by CC, they lose 50cents. Yet, they will not take my personal check which costs them nothing, and my bank is a block away from this Subway.
I went to that Subway a few years ago, had them make my sandwich and then realized I didn't have enough cash. He refused my check, and they were just getting ready to close for the day. The banks were closed, so I just left without my sandwich. I can only guess they tossed that sandwich in the trash!
But the guy must have told me at least 3 times "we take credit cards".... and 3 times I told him that I dont use credit cards....
On 03/21/2016 08:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If they accept your check, they have to take everyone's check...and before you know it the sub shop will be crawling with democrats writing bad checks.
On 3/21/2016 10:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Checks bounce. Ask any retailer that used to take checks and they will probably show you a stack of useless paper that cost them a hefty fee when it bounced. Most store don't take them unless you've been pre-approved like the grocery stores do now. Others have electronic setups to check your balance and take the funds right at the checkout.
If I don't know you, I'd not take your check either. I no longer carry a checkbook as it is easier, faster to use plastic or just pay cash.
If you had a small retail store, chances are you'd not take checks either once you've been swindled a dozen times.

By law, if you accept a cheque you are extending credit. It is a risk. If you accept a credit card, the BANK is extending the credit on your behalf and you are paying them for taking that risk. They are guaranteeing you get your money. If you accept a debit card you are tking the cash directly out of the customer's bank account and paying the bank to do it for you.
When I was in the automotive repair business we took a lot of cheques. We got stung on a few big ones. One went back to the customer's bank 6 times before we managed to get it certified (figured out when his welfare cheque was cashed). Was he ever pissed when he found out what we had done.
Another customer bitched and complained about the bill, even though it was less than the estimate - then insisted on paying by cheque, even though he had said he was paying by credit card. I grabbed the cheque and told the boss to keep him talking/busy for a few minutes, while I jumped in the truck and went to his bank and had it certified. As I was going out one door, he was running in the other all out of breath asking to stop payment on the cheque. The teller told him he was too late.
I still accept cheques from regular customers, as I don't have a credit card account and can't expect customers to pay bills of over $1000 in cash - not to mention what it costs me to deposit cash at the bank.

I have often gotten discounts for paying in cash or check.
Seems the government is going to get their full ammount from you. I was going to pay some county taxes and car tags by card, but they wanted some extra money,so sent in a check.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 23:19:59 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Yep, to pay my license plate renewal, or my property taxes, I can do it online by credit card, but I'd have to pay a few bucks more. I just go to the courthouse and pay it by cash, or write them a check, and there are no extra fees or postage either. I'm in town several days a week anyhow, and go past the courthouse all the time, so why bother paying for this "convenience", which costs more.... Better yet, I get my license plate stickers immediately and dont have to wait for the post office to deliver.
On 3/22/2016 12:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Last time I registered my car for another 2 years, I drove into a lane after inspection which had drive in bank facility and put old registration, inspection report, drivers license, insurance and credit card and got back new registration, license, insurance card and stickers along with returned card.
Paying taxes last month the state would not accept credit card and I had to send in a check. Strange they would take lower amount for car but not higher one for taxes.
philo posted for all of us...

I think they call it the "average daily balance" You have gotten many replies to this post!

See in line
--
Tekkie

If you call them it's likely they will reverse the interest charge. I've had them reverse it simply because I forgot. I'm not sure what their internal rules are but they seem willing to let you off the hook if it's not something you do all the time and you are an otherwise good customer.