OT Credit card

but that, too, would have been your fault.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Sorry, but paying $11 for a 2¢ mistake does put you into that sucker category.

If you're happy with the outcome that's OK with me, but I still think you're wrong to accept it. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with my rant on the subject. [g]

Reply to
RonNNN

Nah. the error cost me well under a penny for each week I've had the card...I'd be a sucker to spend hours stewing over it or tying to blame others for my own error.

Reply to
philo

No it wouldn't have and besides , in all the years I've used the PO don't think they've ever lost a letter.

Reply to
philo

No one suggested blaming others. The error was small, unintentional, and good companies extend courtesies to good customers. It did not eat into the profits of the CC company either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

read your cc agreement. if you choose to use the mail to send in a payment, the risk is yours.

Man, no wonder cc companies charge fees up the wazoo!

Reply to
taxed and spent

As others are suggesting, I would have taken it to the next level. You could have asked for their supervisor or someone at a higher level. Credit card companies do not like to lose people for a few dollars and if this one does, I would ditch them.

Don't forget that even those of us that pay our card off in full and have never paid interest still have the credit card maker make money for their credit card use from the one that accepted it as payment.

Sometimes if choosing to pay between credit card and cash, the merchant will discount the cash purchase for part of the interest he would have to pay the credit card company.

I recently paid my federal taxes by credit card because it was so easy to do, but the government made me pay also the interest it would have cost them.

Reply to
Frank

You mean I should have mentioned spraying the place with Agent Orange, and Naplalm, and having a bomber drop a few tons of shells on these credit card company buildings? I guess that's another option, but maybe a tad bit overkill !!!!

I wouldn't want to see any of the employees hurt, they are just doing their job. But the head CEO or president of the company, deserves WORSE! A public hanging in front of city hall would be perfect justice!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I've never understood companies that accept credit cards for small purchases, but refuse to take a check. We have a local Subway restaurant that does such a thing. I am well aware that any credit card transaction under $10 costs that company about 50cents. So I go to Subway, order a $6 sandwich, and if I pay by CC, they lose 50cents. Yet, they will not take my personal check which costs them nothing, and my bank is a block away from this Subway.

I went to that Subway a few years ago, had them make my sandwich and then realized I didn't have enough cash. He refused my check, and they were just getting ready to close for the day. The banks were closed, so I just left without my sandwich. I can only guess they tossed that sandwich in the trash!

But the guy must have told me at least 3 times "we take credit cards".... and 3 times I told him that I dont use credit cards....

Reply to
Paintedcow

I have often gotten discounts for paying in cash or check.

Seems the government is going to get their full ammount from you. I was going to pay some county taxes and car tags by card, but they wanted some extra money,so sent in a check.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yep, to pay my license plate renewal, or my property taxes, I can do it online by credit card, but I'd have to pay a few bucks more. I just go to the courthouse and pay it by cash, or write them a check, and there are no extra fees or postage either. I'm in town several days a week anyhow, and go past the courthouse all the time, so why bother paying for this "convenience", which costs more.... Better yet, I get my license plate stickers immediately and dont have to wait for the post office to deliver.

Reply to
Paintedcow

If they accept your check, they have to take everyone's check...and before you know it the sub shop will be crawling with democrats writing bad checks.

Reply to
Milburn Drysdale

Last time I registered my car for another 2 years, I drove into a lane after inspection which had drive in bank facility and put old registration, inspection report, drivers license, insurance and credit card and got back new registration, license, insurance card and stickers along with returned card.

Paying taxes last month the state would not accept credit card and I had to send in a check. Strange they would take lower amount for car but not higher one for taxes.

Reply to
Frank

There is no need to take anything out on anyone. I see nothing wrong about admitting the mistake and asking that the charge be removed. I think it's ridiculous, for 2 cents. It strikes me as a wrong thing they've gotten away with. What the hell is the interest rate and how did they come up with that number?

Most companies, in my experience, will simply remove the charge to maintain some sense of loyalty.

Reply to
SeaNymph

My point is that I see no reason to accept faulty service or ridiculous charges. I think $11 is excessive. I also believe that I have a right to question service or charges, regardless of who may or may not be at fault.

Reply to
SeaNymph

For the small amount of money, it's not worth it for me to waste my time with them jumping through hoops...I'd much rather waste my time here where I can relax. I believe the interest rate is 19.9% which is criminal of course, but since I have always paid in full each month, has never come into effect.

I started thinking ...back in the old days before computers etc,something like this would never have happened...then remembered:

During the depression, when my dad was ten, he was sent to the corner store with a dime, to get a loaf of bread. He came home crying and WITHOUT the bread as the price had been raised to 11 cents.

His father and uncle sold eggs door to door and their route took them away from home for several days at a time...so the family had to go without bread. I believe that's when my dad started trapping pigeons.

Reply to
philo

I would not be able to sleep at night if I thought I got screwed over by someone else's mistake or incompetence.

OTOH: When I know it's my own mistake, I sleep very well. The mistake I made has not cost me any sleep.

Reply to
philo

Checks bounce. Ask any retailer that used to take checks and they will probably show you a stack of useless paper that cost them a hefty fee when it bounced. Most store don't take them unless you've been pre-approved like the grocery stores do now. Others have electronic setups to check your balance and take the funds right at the checkout.

If I don't know you, I'd not take your check either. I no longer carry a checkbook as it is easier, faster to use plastic or just pay cash.

If you had a small retail store, chances are you'd not take checks either once you've been swindled a dozen times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I was a teenager, my mother used to send me to the store, to buy a week's worth of groceries for a family of 6, with a $50.00 check, a list, and a reminder to bring back the change. You could get 3 loaves of bread for less than a dollar.

Reply to
SeaNymph

Most credit card companies calculate interest based on the average daily balance for the month. It's right there in the terms that we agree to when applying for a credit card. I found the info in about 2 minutes on my CC's web site.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton