OT - Craigslist Vent - What Happened To Being Polite?

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:10:58 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:

I agree...my post was just a vent after hearing crickets for the 4th time.
How hard is it to respond with "Hey sorry...I changed my mind" when a simple "Are you still interested" is asked?
Heck, you don't even have to say "Sorry". ;-)

Facebook. I have sold a few items, given a few away and bought a few. Sofar everyone has showed up at the given time.
My worst thing was with Lowes. Bought a stove that had to be ordered. Got an auto call and then a person called saying they would deliver in 2 days at 5 PM. No show or call. The next day I called them in the afternoon to find out what hapened. The next week the same thing hapened. Another call and I had them to check to see if they had another modle in stock. They did and did show up that time. They did give me a 10% off for all that.
Later got some flooring put in by them. The flooring had to be inthe house for a couple of days before installing. That time all went well, the flooring showed up on time and the installers showed up on time a few days later.
On 10/3/16 9:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

We had a series of problems with Lowe's on appliance delivery too a few years back during a major home remodel. Both their delivery subcontractor and the local store were culprits.
The local store manager not only didn't fix the problems but wouldn't even apologize for their cock-ups. I lost confidence in the company, decided they weren't folks I wanted to do business with, and cancelled our order for six high end kitchen and laundry room appliances.
--
When I grew up, the air was polluted....and by God it made us tough.
- @KelsowFarlander
On 10/3/2016 12:11 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Another example why you should check out the local appliance store that cares about customers.
On 10/3/16 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In fact that's what we ended up doing after visiting two other big box retailers.
One of them used the same delivery company as Lowe's so that was a knockout.
At the other store, we initially were greeted by a newly hired totally hot sales babe who unfortunately knew next to nothing about appliances. Nice guy that I am, I was willing to work with her for a while and educate her, but my wife asked the department manager for someone "with a little more experience".
We were handed off to a slimy, know-it-all sales weasel and so we just gave up and left.
--
You can’t get rich in politics unless you’re a crook.
- President Harry Truman
On 10/3/2016 8:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

My sister got her flooring for free after Lowes screwed up the delivery timing, which delayed the other work she was having done. She called the manager and told him that for all the inconvenience and additional expense he'd put her through, he was going to give it to her for free. He did. Sis knows how to push.
On 10/2/2016 10:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

stuff to Goodwill rather than try to sell it myself.
On 10/02/2016 10:13 AM, Frank wrote:

I tend to collect stuff not because I'm a collector or hoarder but I can't stand the bullshit involved with selling stuff.
The worst move is to sell it to someone you know. I sold a bike to a guy at work to get it out of the yard. The terms were $50 now and the rest whenever, with me expecting whenever to never come but I didn't care. Then I got to listen to the litany of defects; it needs a new chain, it will need a rear tire soon, and so forth.
On 10/2/2016 12:43 PM, rbowman wrote:

Guess it takes an aptitude that a lot of us do not possess. Having to retire early over 23 years ago I tried real estate sales for a year. I was lousy at it. I thought if I understood the business, I could be a good salesman. I could not put up with the people. Even nice people could screw you over. Salesman could put up with it, I couldn't. I met a lot of successful salesman that were dumber than dirt but had the aptitude for sales and were good at it.
On 10/02/2016 11:15 AM, Frank wrote:

Back in the '60s I applied for a job for what I thought was an instructor's position. It turned out to be sort of a proto-ITT university scam and the real job was selling courses to the suckers. I went out a couple of evenings with their top sales guy. His con was something to watch. I'd swear the people didn't have a pot to piss in but he could extract cash out of the cookie jar. I didn't have the stomach for it.
I'm not implying that sort of high pressure scam is typical of the sales profession but that was my exposure. On the other end, I've never enjoyed haggling. Tell me your price and either I'll pay it or I won't. I guess I just don't have the camel trader genes.
On 10/2/2016 12:13 PM, Frank wrote:

Same here. I've never sold anything. It goes to the curb with a "free" sign, Goodwill, or is dropped at a used store in town.
On 10/2/2016 8:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most of my old stuff I trash. One of my sisters had an absolute fit, pulling stuff out of my trash and exclaiming I could sell it. Sure, I could - for a little bit of money, meaning it wasn't worth my time. And the thrift/donation stores get rid of up to 90% of the stuff donated to them, mainly because they simply haven't got enough room for all of it. So I figure I'm saving them the trouble and expense of trashing my marginal-value stuff.
If I think they can sell it, and for enough to make it worth their trouble, I'll donate it, or give it away to anyone who wants it.
I got talked into putting some stuff into my sister's garage sale this past weekend. She then shanghaied me into helping her set it up, work it, and clean up afterwards. I probably made two bucks an hour after all that time. It was a complete waste of a beautiful weekend. Never again.
alt.home.repair:

I've gone through this a lot on Craigslist, both as a seller and as a buyer. I can't really explain it, but I think it has to do with the fact that there's really no commitment on either side compared to eBay. On eBay the seller has to pay a fee, which makes them more serious about the sale. The buyer is committed to pay when they click the Bid or Buy It Now button, so they have to treat the transaction seriously. On Craigslist, people can contact you on a whim and it has little meaning to them. It's all just idle tire-kicking to them.
On 10/2/2016 12:50 PM, Nil wrote:

I think it clearly displays the overall inconsideration in today's society. Fees will not resolve the "me" mentality.

Welcome to the real world.
BTW, it isn't only buyers, many sellers are guilty too. Even those in business/
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 1:40:41 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Thanks, but I've been here for quite some time. ;-)

Not me. I guess I'm just respectful of other people's time and expect others to be too. I'll vent about it, not really expecting anything to change, but I won't join the inconsiderate crowd.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 9:56:57 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I run into this giving stuff away! If you are delivering, they need to come see it and pay for it...anything else makes *you* naive!
On 10/02/2016 11:45 AM, bob_villa wrote:

Been there too. When I moved from NH if it didn't fit into my pickup it was history. Some of the stuff was okay. A school teacher was trying to put together a computer course and was happy to get all my computer stuff. I ran into a guy that I'd briefly worked with a few years before and asked him if he wanted a microwave. Instant suspicion. Why? What's wrong with it? And so forth and so on. After that I just put the household stuff on the sidewalk for whoever wanted it or the trash collector, whoever got there first.
I had a rowing dinghy, same story. Finally I left it on the shore above the tie line with the oars in it. I hope someone got use out of it.
On 10/2/2016 7:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wow, sounds like you have been dealing with a bunch of contractors!
But why did you say "you are next on the list"? First come, first served.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 1:59:36 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Because I'm nice.