OT - Craigslist Vent - What Happened To Being Polite?

Page 1 of 3
<vent>
I have an item listed on Craigslist. It requires a van, truck or trailer to move, so I included local delivery in the posting. I included a detailed description and enough pictures for anyone to understand exactly what I was selling.
A lady calls me, says she is very interested, so we arrange for me to deliver it on Saturday. I call her before I leave the house, she says she is out at the moment but will be home before I get there. I get to her house...no one home. I call her and she says she will be home in 10 minutes. 20 minutes later I call her again and get no answer. I went home and never heard from her again.
A couple of days later a guy sends me an email asking if the item is still available. I say "Yes" and he responds with "How low are you willing to go?" I reply "I'm sure we can come to an agreeable price, please give me a call." Crickets. No response, no phone call, no more emails.
Next, a guy calls me and asked if it's still available. When I tell him it is, he says "OK, I just saw your ad, let me show it to my wife and I'll get back to you later. I don't hear from him so I call him back the next day at 10AM and he says "My wife is still thinking about it. I'll call you by 1PM. In the meantime, somebody else called and I told him that he is next on the list, I was just waiting to hear back from someone else. I was trying to be fair. He was very polite, said he was very interested and to let him know if the other guy backs out.
Well, 1PM comes and goes, I haven't heard back from the other guy, so I text the latest person and tell him that it's his if he still wants it. Every other text to him was answered within minutes. This time, hours go by with no response. Earlier this morning I texted him again and once again, crickets. Nothing.
What is it with some people? If you change your mind, fine. I get that. I've looked at items that thought I was interested in and then decided I didn't want it, but I always let the seller know. I've now got 4 people - one of which stood me up at her house! - who just simply stopped responding or never called back to let me know that they changed their minds. How hard is it to call/text/email with a simple "I'm no longer interested" especially after *they* asked to be kept updated and/or promised to call?
If any of these people contact me again I'll tell them to go pound sand and that I'm donating the item. The money isn't significant enough for me to put up with such rudeness.
</vent>
Indeed, what happened to being polite? Did you somehow miss the irony here, that your post is entirely inappropriate, inconsiderate and impolite?
On 10/2/2016 11:17 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Are you serious? How does he fit any of those? To whom is he being inappropriate, inconsiderate and impolite towards?
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 11:42:34 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Mayayana, obviously. ;-)
On 10/2/2016 12:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

One shouldn't expect anything less from someone with a Buddhist name.
On 10/02/2016 10:59 AM, Meanie wrote:

That's Mahayana, Moonie.
On 10/2/2016 9:15 PM, rbowman wrote:

LOL...so it is. Ooops. Close enough.
"Meanie" wrote
| > Indeed, what happened to being polite? Did you | > somehow miss the irony here, that your post is | > entirely inappropriate, inconsiderate and impolite? | > | Are you serious? How does he fit any of those? To whom is he being | inappropriate, inconsiderate and impolite towards?
You're in a newsgroup. There's a topic. People come for discussion of that topic. I shouldn't need to explain that. Being "a regular" doesn't confer special status to post unrelated chit-chat. The group is public.
(Maybe those people on Craiglist who didn't call him back viewed themselves as CL regulars and didn't think they needed to be considerate of a "newbie". :)
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 12:59:40 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

alt: The item is an alternative style of Bunk Bed that I built years ago home: It belongs in a home repair: I had to repair it before I offered it for sale
alt.home.repair

You have no clue as my status on CL. Your assumption of "newbie" is far from accurate, both as a buyer and a seller.
Oh, wait...why are you even discussing this? Isn't your comment nothing more than "unrelated chit-chat"?
On 10/2/2016 12:58 PM, Mayayana wrote:

There is a topic....it's an "OT" topic which DD considerately and appropriately indicated. During the discussion of this topic he was not impolite to anyone. Therefore, pull your panties out of your ass and shove them over your head.
Nobody made you the newsgroup moderator nor did they ask you to participate. You have the option of ignore but you choose to be a self-righteous holier than thou blowhard participant who's real problem is not really the topic but obviously triggered by your envious of DD. Get over it already.
On 10/2/2016 8:17 AM, Mayayana wrote:

isn't you post off - off topic?
On 10/2/2016 10:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Been there done that OFTEN.
I'm no longer taken aback at the ill-mannered acts of most people on Craigslist and in fact, I expect it. You were more generous with 2nd or 3rd attempts. I give one shot and no more. If people cannot be considerate enough to honor a meeting time or call if they can't, that's the only chance they get with me.
SBH:
Just the very word "Cr_____ist" on my screen, and I have to clean it with LYSOL. I avoid conducting any business on there if at all possible.

Farmers here in Nebraska sell some of their stuff on it. The most expensive thing I noticed at quick glance was a Cat tractor for $45,000. There were also some old neon farm equipment signs.

Seems kind of silly if you ask me. I've bought and sold lots of stuff on Craigslist. Made a bunch of money, saved a bunch too.
When selling, I meet folks at the front door of a nearby large supermarket in a big shopping center. Lots of people around, daylight hours only.
If I don't get a good hit off a potential buyer trading emails leading up to the meeting, I end it right there. Once in a while I get a no-show or a late arrival but most times, folks show up on time with money in hand and I close the deal, usually for the asking price.
When buying, I'll only meet in a very public place in a safe neighborhood, daylight only. I size up the seller via phone and email before I show up and end it immediately if something doesn't feel quite right.
--
We have a flag, we have a language, we have a culture. Fall in…or get out.

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 8:40:03 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

I agree.

I'm not sure what you are buying/selling, but that wouldn't work for me in most cases.
My last few sales and buys were fairly large to really large items: computer desk, microwave stand, TV stand, etc. I recently found a frame for my 10 x 10 EzUp canopy on Craigslist. I bought a bunch of reclaimed wood on CL and some of the boards were 16' long. Currently I'm trying to sell a bunk bed with mattresses.
I have a van and a trailer, so pick-up and delivery is easy for me. Most of these items would not fit in a car. For example, if I wanted to sell that computer desk in a parking lot, I've limited my buying pool to those that have access to a large vehicle. By offering local delivery, I increase my chances of a sale.
Granted, I don't live in a scary area, so I'm not concerned with going to people's houses. In addition, I prefer to deliver because I don't want them coming to my house. The only people that have been to my house was the guy that bought a lawn tractor and the guy I bought a car from. I had already been to the car guy's house and it was nicer than mine, so I wasn't worried about him coming over. ;-)

A few years ago my son arranged to meet a buyer in a mall parking lot. Let's call it the northeast corner, blue car, female driver. He parks next to her, walks over to her car and leans in the passenger window. "Hi! I'm James!" She gave him a panicked look, hit the button to raise the window and drove away. My son jumped backed, confused. He was about to leave when a blue car with a female driver pulled up next to his car. :-)
DerbyDad, Wade:
You two represent 1/10 C-list users who have had smooth experiences on there. I won't touch the thing after what I've read and heard in the news.

What's different about C-List than normal ads in the newspapers if anything?
On 10/4/16 6:48 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Hey, don't confuse this dyed-in-the-wool rumor-follower and emotional decision maker with any facts. His head might explode.
--
NY City reports it's struggling to keep booming population of stray cats
under control. Tough one. Have they tried “Cat-Free Zone” signs?
On 10/4/2016 6:48 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Nothing other than the internet makes it much easier to communicate.
Even with the idiot sellers and buyers, though as ill mannered as many are, it's not a deal breaker for CL. If one learns how to deal with the rudeness, it's very tolerable, especially if they want to sell an item.
Anyone who thinks it's too much to tolerate has a serious case of pantywaditus.