OT Computers making life easier

Page 2 of 3

After having spent the money for the education and licensing, that is a just reward. As Evan said, there is a bit more to it than being an extension of a pill-dispensing machine.
--
Best regards
Han

It is a 5 year course now, but some are going to 6 years.

The question really is whether we need a fullfledged pharmacist in every corner pharmacy, and I don't know the answer ...
--
Best regards
Han

Yes, legally. You also actually need someone with the training to do the patient teaching, make sure there are no interactions with the medicines you know about, etc.

Indeed those are the current regulations/laws. But following the lead of some, perhaps less regulation/law would work as well. <GRIN>
--
Best regards
Han

Not here since the rules/reg are basically done at the REQUEST of the regulated. Don't think the Pharmacist Lobby would allow it. Contrasted with the desire of the banks to be LESS regulated. Actually the theory behind both is basically the same. The Pharms want to increase their income by erecting barriers to entry to the market while the Banks are doing pretty much the opposite to have the same outcome.

Who should do the regulating? The cartel, or the people? Sorreeeee ...
--
Best regards
Han

But does it take 5 years to know all of that? Just as we now have Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants instead of a full fledge doctor, a well trained one or two notches down assistant could handle 95% of the problems. As for interactions, a computer program tags most of them when you enter the drug info.

Probably. You need a lot of chemistry, A&P, etc. NPs take 6 years at least. There have been major changes over the years anyway. Used to be everyone touching the meds had to be Pharmacist, now you need one or two, techs, etc. Computer don't catch many of the interactions because computers don't ASK if there anything else they are taking that isn't listed.

The answer is yes.

OK, that makes it unanimous!! And, by the way, it seems profitable for drugstore/pharmacy as well as pharmacist. Moreover, if done properly, it should benefit the customers because of increased health. People will just have to ask ...
--
Best regards
Han

And unless you want to work 3rd shift CVS in a bad neighborhood, you almost have to have a PharmD.
On 2/2/2012 3:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

There are several reasons not to reference a caller-id number. 1. they are easily spoofed.
2. some phoned have no caller-id.
3. Phone numbers are reused after a year or so and some of those have the previous owner's id.
4. when you call from a friends house and they also have a prescription waiting.
other, I am sure.
Paul
On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 19:14:39 -0800, Paul Drahn

All the pharmacy requires is for you to enter a phone number to get the information. There would be no reason to spoof anything.

Well then that wouldn't work, would it? Some people don't have computers, but businesses still have web pages. (and they try to get you to use them, because no one there wants to have to talk to you)
What about the people that don't have phones?

Then the chance they would have a prescription ready or being processed would be pretty low. Right?
You do know the doctor puts your current phone number on the prescription. Right?

Then you tell them...........I am calling to see if my script is ready, I will ask about yours too.

Thanks for playing.
Metspitzer wrote:

Hmmm, My refill is done by pharmacy at the university hospital here. I just phone in which is answered by a warm body. State my name in full and DOB, they know all the details about my refills. They either mail it across town to me or deliver it by taxi. Senior get this free delivery service. Takes 2 days or couple hours depending on situation.

That is a good deal.

When I write down a phone number, I modify it later with the menu option I want, or the string of numbers. Sometimes I can push that key in the middle of the messages, so I dont' have to listen to them.
I renewed a prescription on the phone and ended up with the child proof cap. The recording didnt' ask about that. . Fortunately, I save my old bottles etc.

Doesn't it have to be cold before you need a flu shot? I"m waiting until it's cold. 7
On 2/2/2012 6:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I could have ordered all my meds on line in the time it took to browse this thread but I'm getting screwed by a poor plan with Medco and Medicare deductible.
A visit to Walmart taught me that I could skip Medco and Medicare and go there and save over $150 per year. For that, I'll wait in line 4 times a year.
Pays to shop around.
Also while computer ordering is extremely easy, it took me 45 minutes on hold to speak to Medco about my bill.
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:11:44 -0500, Frank
That's for sure. At one of the odd-lot/close-out stores around here they had a Kodak digital camera, refurbished for 50 or 75 dollars, I forget which.
Looked online, found same model refurbished for as much as 200 dollars, and new for as little as 100.

Update: I called the pharmacy again today. Walgreens phone number is (770) 838-1678. You can try this yourself. Just call and follow the menu to try to speak to the pharmacy.
It played a Glamour Mag ad and a Hallmark Card ad. After two commercials it did start playing music. It was a very good song too. I wish they had started with that. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUOiiVxsGc

I didn't try to get an order status today, but last time I tried that, they tried to sell me a flu shot.