OT computers

Page 1 of 12
My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard drive is dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like to increase memory, speed, etc. And, specifically would like all my information put on the new system. I really like Outlook Express, but have heard it is not available anymore.
In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of?
As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.
thanks
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:41:56 PM UTC-5, Jerry wrote:

If you're forced into Windows 8 install "Classic Shell", stay away from HP/ Compaq because of all the crapware. I have a free PC that I installed Windo ws 7 (Dell 8400 3Ghz,3Gb,320GbHDD, basically ancient) and it runs very well ! And there's always Craigslist!
On 03/30/2014 05:19 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

<snip>

Yep, with Classic Shell you can turn the GUI into something familiar.
I'd recommend a whole new machine as it is not worth it to upgrade the H/W on something that old.
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:19:57 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

dows 7 (Dell 8400 3Ghz,3Gb,320GbHDD, basically ancient) and it runs very we ll! And there's always Craigslist!
I have two HP systems, two to three years old and have no "crapware" problems, issues, etc with either of them. They do come with some utilitie s, and Norton, but nothing that's intrusive, full of ads, or anything like tha t. I'm very happy with them, liked the HP website for configuration and would buy from them again.
On Monday, March 31, 2014 7:38:02 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Most people have brand loyalty not matter how irrational it may be...you may drive a Chrysler branded vehicle that is majority owned by Fiat. Dell,HP/Compaq,Acer/Gateway,Lenovo, all sell entry level PC's...and they all come with a certain amount of "crapware" (or limited use programs) that subsidizes the lowest price!
On Monday, March 31, 2014 9:37:23 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

Well assuming that's true, which I doubt because every HP PC I've seen comes with the same software load, who's fault is it if you choose to buy a cheap PC instead of what I buy? If Honda has one cheap car that's no good, does that warrant saying don't ever buy a Honda? Good grief.

I bought a HP laptop with W7 about three years ago. I'm mostly afraid to use it. HP has had so many bios updates and other updates. Just last week it updated, and came up with a new desktop scheme, it was ok after I rebooted. Last year I figured out a comcast virus software was screwing up every shutdown, requiring windows fix each time. When I turn this machine on, might as well get a cup of coffee before tryin to use it. I have not updated windows since last year. At least I can use it some.
Greg
On 3/30/2014 6:19 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Ummm, I bought an HP laptop a year ago and it didn't come with ANY "crapware". OTOH, a friend of mine bought a Dell desktop a few years ago and it took me an entire day to uninstall all of the "crapware".
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:37:33 PM UTC-5, Ron wrote:

Anything you buy today has crapware/trialware in it...
On 4/8/2014 11:02 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

OK, if you say so. The ONLY thing on this PC that was trialware was Norton. Again, NO "crapware".
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:13:55 PM UTC-5, Ron wrote:

From a Walmart HP laptop
Microsoft Games: (Solitaire and Mahjong) Free pre-installed Windows 8 games, ready to play. * HP Exclusive! 10 free game rental sessions of Plants vs. Zombies, 2010 Game of the Year. Your HP computer also comes preloaded with a FREE game - Farm Frenzy ($19.99 value) and HP Games. (79) HP Help and Support * HP Support Assistant: Helps you maintain the performance of your PC and resolve problems with automated updates and tune-ups, built-in diagnostics, and guided assistance. (57) * HP Utility Center: With the HP Utility Center on Windows 8 PCs, get one place to control your settings for all things HP. * HP Quick Start: An experience resembling a traditional Windows Start menu. Shopping and Services * VUDU: Rent, buy and watch HD movies and TV shows on demand. (21) * Netflix: Watch movies and TV online or via DVDs with subscription. (10) * HP Savings Center: Helps you find special offers based on your preferences, saving you time and money. * Amazon Books, Music, Photos and Videos * Walmart Photo Center * Amazon Kindle for PC e-reader * CyberLink PowerDVD: Upgrade your video watching experience with CyberLink's TrueTheater technology including enhanced lighting features and improved audio quality. Productivity and Tools * 7-zip: Free File Archive utility preinstalled on HP Windows 8 platforms. Consumers can use 7-zip anywhere, anytime. * HP ePrint (85a) * Box(R): Simple, secure sharing from nearly anywhere. (10) * Buy Office 365: The most powerful Office yet with smarter versions of your favorite applications and new cloud services that connect you to your
On 4/8/2014 11:51 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

I didn't buy my HP from Walmart

Still on my computer. Lets you know when certain programs and drivers need to be updated.

Still on my computer. Contains HP recovery manager, HP support assistant, HP Coolsense settings, and HP Protectsmart AKA HP 3D Driveguard settings.

Lets the computer boot to the desktop instead of the Metro screen. I never used it (if I even had it). I installed Start8.

I use that.

Hell, I installed that.

This computer came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 free of charge.
If I go to the Metro Screen (which I hardly ever do) there is a crap load of free and payware apps in the Microsoft store. I just checked Amazon, Kindle and Netflix are in there but you have to install the apps.
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:30:05 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

My HP buying experience is consistent with yours. I bought two from the HP website about a year part, a couple years ago. They had software similar to what you got, ie the HP support assistant, getting started app, Norton, freestarter version of Microsoft Office. I just looked and there is also an icon for HP Games, but I've never opened it, done anything with it. I guess it depends on what your definitionn of "crapware" is. What they load may be different depending on the channel it's sold in. The HP load on mine was fine by me. To me crapware is when you load it up with a lot of stuff that is totally useless and intrusive, ie popping up with solicitations, etc. If crapware means anything other than just the OS, then I would think you're going to find that on any PC from any major manufacturer today. AFAIK, you'd have to buy from a mom/pop integrator if you want to avoid having anything but the OS on it.

I have a love hate relationship with HP support assistant. It always wants to update something. My bios has been redone at least 3 times. There is also some stuff I don't use, but I usually have the option to decline. It's seems to want to reboot when I'm trying to work. Mines about 3 years old, otherwise it's a beautiful machine. Using W7, which I have not updated windows in a year.
Greg

Pardon my top posting but you appear to have confused your space bar with your enter key.
On 04/08/2014 11:51 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Agree with that about the space key. At least he didn't ask for your bank account number so he can transfer L4,000,000, pounds sterling out of Nigeria.

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:51:32 AM UTC-5, Bubba wrote:

That's how it copy/pasted from the pdf. *L*
On 4/8/2014 11:51 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Solitaire is one of my favorites.

heard that win 8 doesn't work very well.

of mine's 10 year old grandson was hooked on plants versus zombies a year or so ago.

another program manager using up RAM.

CY: Ah, you mean selective start?

CY: More continuing stream of spending money.

tried that, but didn't do much good for me.
--
.
Christopher
| OK, if you say so. The ONLY thing on this PC that was trialware was | Norton. Again, NO "crapware".
:) I'd call anything from Symantec crapware. And when it's pre-installed as a free trial version it's sleazy crapware. Symantec would be out of business if they didn't pull that trick on onwitting computer buyers.
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:34:57 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

I guess I must be one of those "unwitting" buyers. My HP came with free Norton for a year. When I bought it, they had a deal where for a nominal fee, I think it was ~$30, you could get two additional years. I took advantage of that. I got 3 years of Norton and it's performed fine by me, no issues at all. I think I saw where you posted suggesting that anti-virus isn't needed. I'd say it's that view that's unwitting.
Oh, and I got a free starter version of Microsoft Office, which I'm still using. I could have upgraded to the full version for $100, but for my limited use, there is no need, the free version is fine for me. I guess that's just all more crapware.