OT computer problems OT

I think there's a little video I have to let play for 10 seconds before I can click on Skip Video. I don't mind this, I don't mind a a few ads, a few video ads, but it's great not to have nearly as many. I also have Adobe Flash, which is still listed as Shockwave Flash, in Firefox at least, changed from Always Activate to Ask to Activate. There are lots of pages that show the small box at the top asking to activate that do everything I want done without activating, 80 or 90% don't need activation. When I do activate, I only do it for one session.

This seems to have cut down by 80 or 90% the number of "Script will not stop" problems I have, and when I do get that, it's much more likely I'll know which tab generated it.

OTOH, once trying to watch a movie on pbs.org, the box didn't show up, and I had to go to Firefox add-ons, change the setting to Always Activate, reload the page, and watch the movie, then change the setting back again. Maybe one other page was like that but only those two.

On two or three sites, I've gotten boxes where I guess ads were meant to be that say more or less, Please turn off Adblock Plus. One specifically said that if I registered, they wouldn't send me ads, and I guess registration is free, but that must mean they'd send me spam. Which is worse? Still I felt a little bad that they knew I was blocking them. I don't want to hurt their computer's feelings.

Reply to
Micky

How to Get Updates for Windows XP from Microsoft until 2019 ...

it's really easy and if you don't want to upgrade to newer versions of windows or move to linux it's better than nothing. I miss winxp, I really do. Somethings are better when they are improved, somethings aren't. For me Win10 would just be a big waste of time and money. Oh hell, while I'm at it, Linux stuff...

My 2 Cents

| Older version of FF are available on |

Also:

If there's any trouble with that link, try this one:

Altough the Mozilla people have long been acting like a commercial company, bent on profits and trying hard to herd Firefox users into the hands of their ad-company handlers (first Google and now Yahoo), Firefox is still officially open source and all builds are available.

Side note: The development of open source has gone through interesting turns lately. It started out that most OSS was rough, unfinished, and often needed to be compiled. It was more a conversation between geeks than it was software. As OSS becomes more common and more polished, it's also becoming more commercial and more opaque. Firefox and Chromium are both OSS, as is WebKit. (And for that matter, Android.) So all browsers except IE are technically open source. Yet choice is very limited and "improvements" tend to be in the direction of profiteering rather than making the best product. I now need 6-8 plugins just to make FF what it was a couple of years ago. And I'm running v. 36. I've hesitated to update for years now. I never know what they'll break next. It's much worse for most people. Anyone not intimately familiar with about:config and extensions is likely to be stuck with whatever the Mozilla people put on their plate.

I'm imagining that whenever Linux Torvalds steps down it may be only weeks before the top brass at Linux "discover" that what people really want is an ad platform built into the kernel. :)

Reply to
Mayayana