(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:27:41 -0500, "N. Cognito"

I've sold and used a LOT of refurbished "stuff" over the years and the quality is very spotty at best. I have learned that if it is readily available on the "refurbished" market (not lease returns) it is likely best to stear clear of it even in the "first line" market as there is usually a good reason they need refurbing. Refurbed hard drives have been the biggest dissapointment. Refurbed cameras and AV equpment not much better .(including TVs and monitors) "De-Branded" computer equipment is also very suspect. If HP doesn't want you to know that monitor used to have the HP name on it, there is often good reason!!!!
On 1/31/2015 3:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

It can certainly be done although I, personally, find that my 42" HDTV makes a crappy computer display despite operating at 1920X1080 resolution. The problem is a matter of scale -- the pixels are effectively spread out over a huge area compared to the identical resolution on the 23" computer monitor on my desk operating at the same resolution. It is just too difficult to get in the right position to make use of it. So, while the HDTV (connected by HDMI) is the only display on my HTPC and is fine for playing back media, I wouldn't want to sit and compose a long email on it; most of the time I can hardly locate the mouse pointer on that big slab of plastic.

I wouldn't even consider a tv that big for a monitor. I'd get a stiff neck from having to keep turning my head to read an email or web page.
I'm looking for a similar size, 17 to 20".
On 2/2/2015 3:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Bigger is not always better. For most uses, a 19" to 23" is quite a lot on a desktop. The only advantage to a larger screen is not making that email bigger, but having it in full view of it with a spreadsheet next to it also in full view. Or larger CAD drawings.
Given the price difference, I'd consider 19" the minimum.

In my opinion a 28 inch monitor is about optimum. At the insurance office I have many users on 2 19 inchers, one on a 23 and a 19, with the 19 in "page mode" (standing on it's short side), and a few on 28s.
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 11:42:50 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+1
I use a 27", which seems about right. It gives you enough space to view two documents, side by side. The other factor is enough heigth to comfortable view full pages. Given the small price difference, if you have the room, I think it's definitely the way to go.
On 2/3/2015 8:09 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I use two identical ViewSonic 23" panels which are, contrary to convention, stacked vertically because my computer desk is just too small to do otherwise. It actually functions well -- the top monitor is taken up by the remote panel for my WHS computer in the basement, a BOINC client, a handful of useful widgets, and many virtual sticky notes -- things which are pretty much static most of the time. That leaves the bottom screen for 'work' (or what passes for it) and since it is at a better angle and doesn't need any head movement that is comfortable.
Someone had a good idea with 16:10 (8:5) aspect...but it didn't catch on. I don't think anyone makes them now? 16:9 is a media driven ratio, and not the best IMO for a PC.