OT: Computer memory low

Page 1 of 6
(Of course it isn't just the *computer* that has low memory these days...<g>)
But seriously, could anyone give me a heads-up as to the least expensive way to deal with this problem?
For the past 'n' weeks, I've been getting a pop-up at the lower r.h. corner of the screen with HUGE flame-like chart visuals and a message "High memory usage by Firefox". It used to create more virtual memory, but that has stopped, so maybe the End Is Nigh? Am I heading for a crash? First time I have run into this, so not a clue.
I just installed a new app (Norton Ghost - successor to GoBack), and got the message that my memory was too low to run certain functions of Ghost.
Yes, I can go out & buy new memory $$$, but I suspect something else is at play. My modest usage is not a memory hog. What could be draining virtual memory to this extent?
Would appreciate any input.
TIA
HB
[...]
On 1/16/2011 2:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Similar symptoms here, but mostly without error box popups. The machine just goes away for awhile, HD light burning brightly. I suspect the latest versions of FF and/or PCtOOLS av as the cause. Not real impressed with latest version of FF- it seems a lot slower. I've been keeping task manager running in background the last day or so, so when it goes away, I can bring it up and see what the logjam is.
I've had a better machine sitting in the corner for over a year, but never got around to moving into it. Really need to get on that, I guess, before this one flakes out entirely and I can't recover my data from it. It has lasted a lot longer than most of my previous Windows installs- around 4 years. I usually only got 18-24 months, before, and would then need to nuke and reload. With all the machines I have laying around, I really should have one JUST for internet, with the important stuff elsewhere.
Remember when a gig of ram, like this machine has, was considered high-end? Pretty much need a minimum of 2 any more, methinks.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:40:48 -0800, Smitty Two

It shows you can be wrong and still get rich.
So how come I've been wrong 10 times and I'm not 10 times as rich?

On 1/16/2011 7:51 PM, mm wrote:

He grew up rich. In our society, usually the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

What total BS, but some people like to pretend that's how it works. Typically, they look at low income people as a static group, fixed in time. In reality, people are moving up, improving their economic situation and moving from one group to another all the time. Take a good look at the immigrants that came from places like Vietnam in the 70's and 80's. They came with nothing and today most are middle class.
I'd also like to see the reference that supports Bill Gates growing up rich. His father was a lawyer, but I never saw anything about him being very wealthy. And even if he was, I can show you a thousand other guys who became wealthy without coming from a wealthy background.

Yep. Virtually all the folks who went to work at Microsoft in the early days are millionaires.
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:20:23 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You're right. That's why people want immigration of poor people and even some illegal immigration, to have a supply of poor people ready to do poor people's work. (I'm not saying they want so many illegal immigrants that they enter construction and trades etc. in large numbers, but they don't want to be where they were a few decades ago when there were not so many migrant workers and they still had no machine to pick tomatoes with. They rushed to finish the tomato picking machine that was in the works, and they also bred tomatoes that were harder to bruise (and not as good aiui.))

Probably not to the same extent, but the same thing is true of Mexicans and other Latinos who came decades ago. But once their children speak English without an accent, that their names are Sanchez or Gonzalez is just ignored, truely not even noticed. (unless maybe all one his is a printed resume or webpage). That's why Linda Chavez and lots of others aren't seen as Mexican.

Wikipedia, which I looked at today after CJ's post, makes him sound better off than I had realized. Not just a lawyer but a promintent one. That doesn't always include more money, but often it does. And his mother served on the Board of a bank chain and the United Way. There are ways other than income to have community status, but the vast majority of people on boards are making a lot of money. I don't know if she had been working at all, but her father was a banker. Again, not all bankers do great, and Bill Gates went to a prep school which had bought a computer teletype and some computer time. I was out of college by this time so I don't know what my richest** public school in Indiana had at this time.
**Which is not saying that much. I presume we were the richest, (since we had nobody or almost nobody on welfare, and the only alternative schools were Catholic schools and one small private boys school and one small private girls school) and we had a new building with a well equipped gym, a big auditorium, air conditioning, chem labs with bunsen burners and glassware, and textbooks for eveyrone, but really, as long as everyone at another school has a text book to use, I don't know if the extra stuff puts us ahead of any other school in terms of expected results.
(I've read the famous alumni from my high school and there is one astronaut and a bunch of sports "stars" I've never heard of since I moved out of state. That's all.)
We used to live in a town of 50,000, and the high school teacher or principal or guidance couselor told my mother and brother that he couldn't get a good education there, because they were so small and had no extras. But he made all A's in college except B's in science and graduated medical school anyhow. Partly because he read a lot. It's the person more than the school.
Often wealthy parents can get their kids good first jobs, or they don't even have to try, that his parents are known is enough, but that wasn't true for GAtes, was it? (OTOH Gates treated a lot of competitors very badly, ws probably ruthless, and claimed to be giving the details of the OS to people like Netscape, but held things back so Netscape crashed when the MS program didn't. That's one reason I don't use MS products except for the OS.)

Absolutley.
On 1/16/2011 2:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I've used Belarc adviser to check my memory:
and Crucial to buy it:
http://www.crucial.com /
Extra memory is not expensive and not hard to install. When I upgraded this computer, memory at Best Buy cost about 5X that of Crucial.
On 1/16/2011 1:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

HB, your computer may be running too many services which will eat up memory and bog down your system. Here's a link to and excellent source of information and how-to from a great site.
TDD
On 1/16/2011 2:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I've helped a lot of friends deal with computers slowing. Almost invariably it is some background program running (that they added to "fix" a problem). I'd turn it off when not needed. Adding utility programs seldom does anything but cause more problems.
If you need to keep this, consider changing some of the XP performance options to being optimized for programs rather than background services if they aren't now.
XP can use up to ~3.25 Gigs, you might add memory if you are under 4, virtual memory is slow and most physical memory is not expensive.

I prefer FF, but if you did have little memory, IE is a better bet. Or Opera.
Jeff
What could be

Yeah, I thought it interesting that one of the locals that knows so much about everything in the world, can't even get some basic info together so that someone may be able to figure out his question. Sort of like asking, my car doesn't run right,. what's wrong?
To your list, I'd add what CPU does he have? Because if one possibility is adding more memory, it would be good to know if it's a 2ghz dual core or a 350Mhz single, the latter not being worth screwing around with.

I'm still here. Organizing the requested info about my system and will post tomorrow. Frightening lower r.h. flame events still occurring.
HB

Switch to Linux.
Joe
Would appreciate any input.
TIA
HB
----------------------
Here is a couple of suggestions but by no means the only three that people will present.
Virtual memory is a pagefile, a large file on your hard drive that windows uses like ram, for temporary storage stuff. One guess of mine is that your hard drive has run out of room and can't expand the page file on the hard disc. The pagefile should be 1.5 to 2 times the size of your physical ram.
Also if you are familiar with Task Manager this will tell you how much memory each program and service is using on your computer. To run task manager just hit alt/crtl/del ONCE and click on task manager when the option screen comes up.
Perhaps you have a background virus running?
Higgs Boson wrote:

You would get more and better input if you would clue people in on...
1. how much RAM you have
2. how much free RAM you have immediately after booting whem you are doing nothing
3. how much free RAM you have when you get the error message
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Disk Cleanup and/or ATF cleaner for cleaning up garbagey temp files. Does a lot for sanity.
--
Best regards
Han

No one uses OE...it is not supported and is an atrocity. Replace it.
wrote

No one uses OE...it is not supported and is an atrocity. Replace it.
Some people still call it OE even though it is called Windows Mail , myself included...Old habits are hard to break...No problems with it..Same for IE....Same for Norton...Despite all the horror stories...I even like Vista Home Premium...LOL..It all updates itself automaticly with no fuss or tweeking which is a good thing for us less techy folks...LOL...I even have all the maintance set to auto...
?

I use and like Live Mail 2010. The newer 2011 version is not so good for newsgroups though. I tried it and went back to 2010 version. Use OE for years and found it better and easier to use than Agent and a few other newsreaders. Price is right too.