[OT] Communicating without grid power

Page 4 of 4

A local ham radio club has a few repeaters co sited at friendly cellphone tower sites. Those with stationary diesel generators usually only have enough fuel to last 3 days.
Steve

We had a few guys at work who were running TTY on ham radio. I wasn't really into that but I did install one of the first Arpanet terminals in the DC area. (Army STRATCOM in Olney)
It was a real "hole in the ground" ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

First idea would be to study history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon#For_defensive_communications https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_signal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_telegraph

Amateur Radio powered by generator and solar power. I have HF/VHF/UHF. We also have multiple solar powered VHF repeaters here.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:23:57 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

==============> Chris, without power the only way that I understand

==============>

Does anyone use CB radio anymore? I guess I could plug one of those into my generator and talk until the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate highway so we might be able to connect to a truck passing by.
Paul
On 9/18/2015 9:19 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

plug one of those into my generator and talk until the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate highway so we might be able to connect to a truck passing by.

I was active on CB for a lot of years. One night I got blocked by a wreck on the limited access highway. Sat for an hour and a half. Finally shut down the vehicle, got out and walked around. Sitting in the hammer lane of a 65 MPH zone.
Felt so stupid, not having a CB, the truckers all knew what was going on. I resolved to always have a CB in the vehicle.
Fewer people on CB these days. As with any open band, the info is as good as the person giving. Which might be totally mistaken info. Most or many CB operate on 12 volts, which means you can wire it in to the car, or to a marine battery.
--
.
Christopher A. Young