[OT] Communicating without grid power

Is it the law that they have to stay open and not evacuate themselves?
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:31:29 -0700, "taxed and spent"

I doubt that would be enforceable but they still have to have a generator to show the inspectors when they test the pumps. .

There are 2 schools of thought on that. On the one hand it seems evil to raise prices in an emergency but the other side of that is if there is no price inventive, why wouldn't the business owner simply board up and go? Higher prices also incentivizes people to bring in hardware and supplies from unaffected areas.
Then the question becomes, is it better to pay more or do without?

Before price gouging laws, people could charge the fair market value for products. Gasoline right after a hurricane? Value goes up, price goes up. They passed the price gouging law, so there is no incentive to install a generator. Why drop many thousands of dollars to make a few pennies?
And, what's the government answer? Pass more laws to require people to do what they don't get paid to do. Your government in action.
On 09/16/2015 06:36 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I only overheard the conversation and don't know the details but during a power outage last month the guy tried to get gas. The pumps worked but the charge cards didn't. Of course, a true survivalist, the guy had about as much real money in his pocket as he had gas in his car when the lights went out.
Per rbowman:

They're probably all dead by now, but 20-30 years ago in the NYC area there were at least a few survivors of The Holocaust that had food and about $10,000 in the trunks of their cars at all times.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929). Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929). Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.
- . Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . . I probably would be depressed too if I was a moron baby like you and the others here with violent tendencies. You should get help before it's too late.
On 9/17/2015 12:17 PM, Lucky Strike wrote:

You display micro-agression. Have you gone to sensetivity training at a university near you?
You can be helped.
Ha ha Any excuses is better then none friend, but that is ok your forgiving because you are old fart like me..
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/17/2015 10:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929). Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.
On 9/15/2015 11:12 PM, gregz wrote:

Which opens the question. Suppose the ham radio repeaters have batteries. How do those batteries get recharged?
On 09/16/2015 05:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

*Legal* CB radio equipment is by design a low-power short-range communication facility.

They get charged from house current or from a generator. Of course the batteries last only a while, depending on their capacity. I have two 6V golf-cart batteries in series that are float-charged from house current. I also have a generator, and I usually have two 6-gallon cans of gas for it on hand.
I don't have solar charging capabilities, but some amateur radio operators do.
"Field Day" is a nationwide exercise held each June, in which amateur radio operators communicate from temporary installations in parks, schools, etc., so there should be a pool of experienced communicators available in emergencies.
Perce
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:00:25 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

If you have a Rural King near you, it seems to be the best place to get cheap golf cart batteries. ($60 on sale plus all of the bullspit fees). That is $20 less than Costco/Sam etc They are nice deep cycle batteries for various backup projects. I have an old cart here I use for driving around the neighborhood and as a tractor for dragging stuff around the yard. It also gives me a good source of DC volts in an emergency. I am still looking for a deal on a 36v >120 inverter.

I'd never heard of Rural King, and now I see that the closest one is 70 miles away. Costco will suit me better when I need replacements.
Perce
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:59:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It really depends on the band you are on. The vhf stuff usually needs a repeater to get very far because it is largely line of sight (near the old TV frequencies) but the longer wave lengths can skip around the world, just using the power you sent it with.
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 08:23:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Bear in mind, we had telegraph systems in the US 50 years before there was a power grid. The POTS phone system seems to work fairly well when the grid is down too. It is only the very late 20th century systems that are so reliant on grid power. As another poster pointed out, radio systems can be completely separate from all traditional infrastructure. With solar charged batteries, they can go on indefinitely with no central infrastructure at all. Combining radio with digital transmission could increase the effective bandwidth far beyond the limitations of voice communication. The only reason why we consider grid power to be absolutely essential to communication is because it was cheap and reliable when our current systems were developed. There are certainly alternatives.
Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

I always thought that it would be useful to have a standard for power sources on cell phone towers, repeaters, and so-forth so that, in a disaster, a given tower/node can be powered using the omnipresent 12-volt automobile battery.
--
Pete Cresswell

Not enough power. The cell sites I have seen have a line voltage socket for a temporary generator, and a transfer switch. (as well as a bank of batteries always charged and at the ready).
I have to wonder how many generators will be available in an emergency to power such facilities not equipped with their own dedicated generator.
On 9/15/2015 11:24 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

Can't remember where I read, might been here. Anyhow, a phone company decided to save expenses by using mobile generators, and shuttle them from cell site to site. One of the local workers reminded them that during ice storms, it's near to impossible to drive any where, much less up cell phone hills to get to the towers.
wrote in message

Most cell towers are down in the flatlands, with the cell phones. But, a good point.