[OT] Communicating without grid power

Page 2 of 4

I had my own teletype machines when I was a kid. Cool gear!

yes, TTYs were a common computer interface back then. Where else would you find a computer printer?
15 Sep 2015 23:22:37 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I know that package!
--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

I was using email to communicate with folks in hawaii back in 1978 on PLATO systems. PLATO[*] predates the internet by 25 years. We also had IM (instant messaging) in the 70's (TSS-8.24, MPE/3000 and most mainframes).
[*] Had the best computer games, too. Plasma panel graphics (monocolor) and nationwide multiuser access allowed players from all over the country to compete in space games (Empire) and dungeons-n-dragons (DND) using (rather massive) graphics terminals.

My 1981 Berkeley Unix manual uses the term "internet" - this that PLATO must have started sometime before 1956! Impressive!
[snip]

I might not have lost wired phone if the wires were underground here. Instead they're overhead, and in the middle of the block around a lot of trees.

I had wireless internet through Sprint. As for TV, antenna would work but I had plenty of DVR recordings.
--
100 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

My main reason for ditching Comcast was my Replay bricked on me after the initial power failure and I could not get back online to reset it. I couldn't even get in to switch it to "phone" update.
On 9/15/2015 7:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Flags, Smoke signals, tin cans and string, bike, carrier pigeons .... telawoman probably the fastest
On 9/15/2015 8:34 AM, Since You Axed wrote:

Reminds me of the old one about three ways to communicate at the speed of light.

Why do you introduce the additional criteria "grid power". Scott only says power.
It is impossible to communicate without power. Even "by foot, horse, runner, shouting" all take power.
Scott needs to better define his question.
On 9/15/2015 8:37 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

That's a big picture, attention to detail way to look at it.
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:37:22 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

+1
We don't know if without power means from a physics sense, in which case even a cell phone or battery operated radio is out, or if it just means when the electric utility service is out.
And then be able to communicate with whom, where are they located and for what purpose?
On 9/15/2015 8:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

hilltop signal fires, drums, semaphore flags on hilltops, light reflecting from mirrors on hilltops. tin cans and string. dry garden hose (for short distances), think of the tubes used to communicate between decks in old ships. pigeons
On 09/15/2015 08:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You fire up the amateur radio transceiver in your car -- or the one at home for which you have well-maintained standby batteries.
"When all else fails... There's Amateur Radio."
Amateur Radio was used when the cell-phone towers on top of the World Trade Center were put out of action. Amateur Radio was used in the search for the debris from the space shuttle that was scattered over remote areas of Texas with no cell-phone service.
Perce

CB radio too, batteries, solar charging. Amateur repeaters will not work on battery for long without solar backup.
Greg

We can't even buy a candy bar at the local stores without grid power. Has anyone seen a backup generator at the local gas station?

On 9/16/2015 8:36 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Sadly, most stores are computer operated. Need the computer to resupply, based on computer recorded sales.
Years ago, I heard of one family owned store doing shopping by flash light, pad, and cash only. During a power cut. Made sense, to me.
Last power cut, the convenience store near me had two candles, and a very weak 2D Never Ready flash light in the place. I chatted a few minutes, and he didn't sell much during that time.
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:24:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon

We maintained a lot of "point of sale" and it was always funny to watch them try to run the store without the registers. Older workers seem to do fine but the "kids" (up to 30 sumpin) needed a calculator, just to make change. They were still slow and confused by the process. The fact that nothing was priced made it even harder. I have seen grocery stores where they had a manager just stand there and dicker with the customer, guessing how much a cart of groceries was worth. The customer usually had a better idea than the manager but they usually started low.
On 09/16/2015 08:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

After Hurricane Ike, I was with a neighbour who went to Walgreen's looking for a battery-operated radio. The only one they had took C cells, which they were out of (and I didn't have any either). I let him borrow one of my wind-up radios.
--
99 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

It is law in Florida. If they are on an evacuation route, they need backup power.