OT - comfortable work shoes

Page 2 of 3
On 7/19/12 11:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> http://tiny.cc/z5vphw Cabelas insulated Wellingtons. I work outside so keeping my feets warm is high on the priority list.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I would have tighted my grip on the shoe and learned what the problem was.
If I'm going to spend a hundred bucks,

Absolutely!
Add pictures here
βœ–

The problem was most likely a tag that said "Made in China"
Paul K. Dickman
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:15:46 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The difference between an expensive pair of work shoes or boots and an inexpensive one is the padding which you can remedy by buying work shoes that are slightly larger and wearing two or three pairs of socks to cushion your feet which is even better than a built in padding because you can’t wash the padding in the laundry like you can a pairs of socks.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jul 18, 8:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up at a construction site.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm glad to hear that you found a brand that works for you. Now days, consumer goods tend to be total junk.
I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up at a construction site.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:18:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You expect anything from Payless to last more than a week?

For a working shoe, I'd probably buy a lightweight hiking boot. I wore them in an office environment for years. It's almost impossible to find shoes that fit my feet and hiking boots were the closest I could find. Expect to pay upwards of $150, or even more, for decent ones, though. I wear New Balance shoes now, since I can sometimes find them to fit (6E).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep. Anyone who goes cheap on shoes is a fool. Have them custom made, if necessary.

Likewise. OTOH, don't wear them too long. Now, being on a fixed income, I tried to stretch my last pair till the tops wore out. Never happened. The soles were worn out, though. Being a geezer, I thought it was old age that was causing my knees and hips to ache so badly after a walk. Wrong! It was my shoes. Heel wear had changed the pronation so much, they were crippling me. I finally bought a new pair. Bingo! Still took 6 mos to heal the damage the old pair caused. Now I buy a new pair every year, whether the old pair appears worn or not.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's gonna be pricey!

My knees don't need broken shoes to complain. I wear them for about a year (two pairs) or maybe a little more, then rotate those down to mowing the lawn (one pair) and working around the house (the other). I should replace one pair now but I can't find them now (they have to be black).
Add pictures here
βœ–

What is yer life worth?
http://www.dehner.com/products.html
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Because I don't have custom made shoes, I'm going to die? Custom shoes must be in Obamacare, right?

Nothing in there I could wear, custom ($450+) or not.
Add pictures here
βœ–

And here I thought you might be one of the smart ones.
Silly me.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

You said that wearing the wrong shoes was a mortal sin. Maybe you're a broad. That would explain a lot.

That's for sure. Stupid as a stone, too.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree with the lightweight hiking boot. We have to wear work boots, I chose a lightweight Danner, and replace them about every year. Not cheap, but you can't put a price on your feet.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep. My late FIL usta say, spare no expense on your shoes and your bed. It's where you spend 2/3rds of your life.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

I wore Vasques for years, when I couldn't find shoes that fit. I still have a few pair but they're really too hot for me, down here. They were great when we lived in VT.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Lotus Veldtschoen I bought in England in 1976 were built to last and still give good service (resoled 3 or 4 times.) The Dexter brogues (US made, approx. 1986) are almost as comfortable and almost as good. Prices approx. $100 and $25 at those dates so far as I remember.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post it instead of multi- posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)
I answered you in the other group.
Add pictures here
βœ–
What's the advantage of cross posting?
I can add news groups to my reply, easy enough.
Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post it instead of multi- posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)
I answered you in the other group.
Add pictures here
βœ–

1. You need to post the article only once, instead of multiple times.
2. Replies to cross-posted articles are, by default, also cross-posted to the same groups as the original article. A reply to a multi-posted article is posted only to the one group in which the original post appeared and the reply was made -- which is why you can't see my post recommending shoes for you in *this* group, and neither can anyone else. If you had cross-posted, you'd be able to see it here.
3. It eliminates the useless downloading of identical articles. If I read a cross-posted article in one group, my newsreader knows that it's "read" for *all* groups in the cross-post, and won't download it or display it to me when I read the other groups. That's how I knew you had multi-posted instead of cross-posted: when I saw the same article here.
4. Since all replies to a cross-post are visible to anyone reading *any* of the groups in the cross-post, you're more likely to get useful replies to a question if you cross-post it.

You *should* have added them to the original post.
Add pictures here
βœ–