OT: coffee pot problem

Guys, sorry if I'm off topic but this is a big part of my household on a "daily" basis so I decided to ask here. My Capresso (449??) coffee maker stop working today. I think it's around 10 years old so I can't complain especially as much as I used it. I think the heating element stopped working. Is it hard to fix for average DIY ? Do I need any special stuff to fix or just some wire? If so what gage? Any suggestions? To be honest, my daughter has a different coffee maker she doesn't use that I once bought her so she said I can have hers but I might like to tinker with this non-working one if it's not hard to fix nor expensive for myself to do. I guess I'd like to learn.
From the sound of your writing, you do repairs other than electrical, for the most part. Do you have a relative, friend, or neighbor who has more experience with electrical? It sounds as if you're not familiar with this kind of thing. It would be a shame, to make the matter worse, such as shock or fire.
Guys, sorry if I'm off topic but this is a big part of my household on a "daily" basis so I decided to ask here. My Capresso (449??) coffee maker stop working today. I think it's around 10 years old so I can't complain especially as much as I used it. I think the heating element stopped working. Is it hard to fix for average DIY ? Do I need any special stuff to fix or just some wire? If so what gage? Any suggestions? To be honest, my daughter has a different coffee maker she doesn't use that I once bought her so she said I can have hers but I might like to tinker with this non-working one if it's not hard to fix nor expensive for myself to do. I guess I'd like to learn.
On Feb 18, 9:26pm, "Stormin Mormon"

It's rare for wire to fail. More likely causes are the heating element, a switch, or sensor. If you don't have the electrical skills to diagnose and fix it, the best thing is probably to just get a new one. The typical one doesn't cost that much and at 10 years is probably disposable. Even if it turns out to be a heating element, the cost of that, the condition of the rest of it, etc frequently results in it being chucked.
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:37:02 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Makes sense and I agree !! Thanks.
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:26:06 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Christopher, you are correct. I'm not good on electrical repairs other than replacing switches or outlets in walls. I did a quick google and one site said it probably wasn't worth the cost to fix but I thought I'd at least try to pin down the cause, then decide for myself if it's worth the cost to fix. It's probably not since my daughter will give me her's which is barely used but I'd like to try anyway. I've got a new multitester so I could at least check various parts for continuity.
On 2/18/2012 6:40 PM, Doug wrote:

There's not much harm in trying to repair it; It may be a simple repair. I have a very old toaster oven and the upper heating element stopped working a few years ago. I thought that it may have been a bad heating element, but upon investigation, I found that it was due simply to a loose connection.
Even if you don't find a simple repair, you will at least learn something about how such appliances are configured. I say go for it; you have nothing to lose.
"Man found electrocuted, in the smouldering ashes of house fire...."
Even if you don't find a simple repair, you will at least learn something about how such appliances are configured. I say go for it; you have nothing to lose.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:38:46 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Don't worry.... I'm getting that way too as I age. I agree with many that it's not worth the fix but worth the advantage so I may try to take it apart just for the advantage to test my new multitester. Now I have no excuse to learn with a new tester and a broken coffee pot.

does it look like this one?
http://www.1stincoffee.com/449.htm
fixing these types of small appliances is made more difficult by: hard or impossible to find the replacement parts units are typically designed for assembly not repair (hard to disassemble) time & effort worth more than a new unit
I'm trying to remember a repair I did in a Krups coffeemaker. It was finally successful (a leak of some sort or other) but it was purely an academic pursuit.....
The time to fix could have been better spent on a different repair job but since I don't watch sports on TV I guess it could substitute for entertainment.
OTOH tearing the thing apart will definitely be a learning experience.
cheers Bob

Good chance it is the element itself. Sometimes you can see where the break is so you can be sure it is the element. There may also be a fuse in there, a switch, etc that can also be the culprit..
You have nothing to lose by taking it apart. Even that can be a chore with some appliances, especially low end stuff that was machine assembled and snaps together. Capresso is probably better designed for service though.
Next is getting the part. You will have to contact the manufacturer or their service agents for them.

The resistance of the heating element can roughly be determined by dividing 120V by the stated current draw of the device, R=V / I. If the rating is not in amps, but in watts, use R = VxV/watts. The heater resistance is probably in the range of 5 and 50 ohms, off the top of my head. If it fails, it usually goes completely open, over 100,000 ohms. It is a good way to learn the circuit as well as practicing using your new multimeter. Good Luck

I can't imagine trying to fix it when you can buy one for $39 .
Sure, check it out. I have trouble with ovens that the crimped on connectors to heating elements fail. You can check heaters with multimeter. Some wiring is fiberglass shielded which is difficult to work with. Something that's used unattended can always catch fire.
Greg

Thanks to ALL. Greg in my case $39 is actually zero dollars since I'm going to get my daughter's almost unused one.
On 2/18/2012 8:03 PM, Doug wrote:

The problem I usually find with small heating appliances that suddenly go dead is the high temperature safety thermal fuse or fuse link. It's a very common problem and easily repaired. The fact that the fuse blew doesn't necessarily indicate there is a malfunction but the fuses can pop just because of the number of heat cycles that could stress the fuse element. If the thermostat is good, the fuse can be replaced without a problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cutoff
Most thermal cutoffs for small appliances look like the one in this image:
http://www.newark.com/productimages/nio/standard/4434628.jpg
The replacement can be obtained from most appliance parts houses.
TDD

I was a small-appliance repairman at a Tru-Value (in a previous incarnation). I agree with the failed connector, switch, fuse-link, or thermal-disc as the problem. Heating elements do not fail...in most cases.
Doug wrote:

Here's my coffee maker, cheap and it works, http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId 786919
"Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote in message

I use this for everyday coffee needs http://www.google.com/#q=coffee+press&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=u5VDT4eQHMTEtwflv_mwBQ&ved KIBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp82152aa1cf79e4&biw6&bihQ4
And this when I want 'presso. http://www.illyusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subcat_accessories_moka-pots-french-presses_bialetti-moka-express
And If I'm camping, I just make it Turkish Coffee.