OT: Coffee and #$%@$Keurig

Other than good health, it doesn't get much better than that !!!

I prefer to drink just espresso, and I used to start with green beans and roast them myself. In the end it just got to be too much like work, so I got a Nespresso pod machine and it's the best coffee investment I've made yet. Simple, easy, reliable and best of all consistently good coffee. (never the 'god shot' strived for but rarely seen with manual equipment, but always very good) But the 1-1/2 oz shots likely won't fill most travel mugs.
On 06/13/2012 05:30 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

[snip]
For the last couple of decades I use nothing more than a filter cone, a gold filter, and a mason jar. I take my coffee black, of course, like any sane human being.
Bring 620mL water to a rolling boil, take off stove. Add coffee. Now leave the room for a couple of minutes while it steeps (that's the hard part). Pour coffee through filter into mason jar, remove filter, rinse filter in hot water in sink.
After you fill your cup, you put the lid on the mason jar to keep it stable.
This is basically the same as using a "french press", except without the useless french press.
Jon

If you're attracted to the "pod" type of coffee maker, than other folks talking about various cone and automated coffee makers aren't of particular use to you.
We've had a contraption called a Melita "One:One" pod maker here at the office for quite a while. I'm a bit of a coffee snob - hand-grind and brew my own in a single-cup maker every day - but have tried the Melita in the past. I thought the resultant coffee was more than acceptable; far, far better than the pots of weak Costco alleged coffee out of some commercial "Newco" contraption, sitting next to the Melita, that the company provides for free.
While I ultimately prefer my own approach - I can select the coffee I want rather than the limited set available for the Melita, and it's more cost-effective - I could live with the Melita if it became necessary. And it seems to be standing up to its moderate use without problems.
Art
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:45:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@unisys.com (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:

I'm the OP.
Thanks to all for a lively discuss and lots of good suggestions.
Haven't decided which way to go yet but lots to think about and some links to options I wasn't familiar with. Thanks again.
Paul F.
On 6/13/2012 5:30 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

bialetti
http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/moka /
it comes in sizes from 1 to 12 cups.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:17:13 -0700, chaniarts

Looks like the 1 cup pot I have for expresso. Actually works good but wish I bought a larger one.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:30:40 -0400, Paul Franklin

We use a Braun/Tassimo. Never had any problems with it in the couple years we've had it. Cost a little over $100 I think. We only use distilled water in it.