OT: Cloud storage providers

Folks, I'm researching cloud storage providers, and asking all my NGs if people have real-time experience with and/or opinions about companies in this chart:

Your advice appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Charter has unlimited cloud storage.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I've always been apprehensive of storing data on another providers server. IMO, I feel hackers will target these servers knowing the abundant files which they may be able to gain access. There's also the possibility of server crashes. But overall, I simply prefer to eliminate the chance of anyone else accessing my info.

I use a separate external hard-drive for backing up my folders/files. You can find 1TB drives for under a $100 and 2TB for a little more. IMO, I just don't see the reason to pay when you can do it yourself.

Reply to
Meanie

That's what I do,

Fat-Dumb and Happy

I had Carbonite for a year and cannot recommend it.

My machine went down and while I found it backed up all my docs and pics it did not backup music and videos and most importantly my Thunderbird mail profile.

It took overnight on initial backup and subsequently was very intrusive in doing its background work. Often it would not let me shut my system down until it was done working.

I now use a separate Seagate hard drive for backup. Did not cost much more than the one year Carbonite subscription and is not intrusive at all.

Reply to
Frank

These are all valid concerns, mitigated somewhat by the security provided by MOST cloud servers. The remaining problem with your solution is similar to the real estate mantra... Location, Location, LOCATION!

How are you backing up to the external drive? How frequently? WHERE IS IT STORED? You should back up to a SEPARATE hard drive, you should back up continuously and the backup should be in a separate physical location in case of fire, theft or that "aw shit" moment. Only some form of Cloud backup can accomplish this.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

On 12/1/2013 9:00 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: e. IMO,

An external hard drive is a separate drive and is a USB connected device such as this >>>

If you want to carry it with you, you can put in a shirt pocket. It's not much different than frequently updating to a cloud.

If you do a cloud backup once a week, then you can do the same for the external drive. It's up to the user. Whenever I add a folder or file, I usually back up, but it also depends on the priority factor of that folder/file. Otherwise, I may back up once every week or two, though, if I don't add anything, I may not back up for awhile. I simply copy all folders/files from my PCs explorer into the drive and let it go to work......done.

Reply to
Meanie

Unless you have very large ammounts of data, I would recommend smaller drives (not much bigger than your hard drive) and use atleast 2 or 3 of them and rotate them every day. I have two desk tops in sepeate rooms and they both have about the same picture and data files on them. With that is a netbook I often have with me with most of the same. I do use one of the USB mini hard drives for a backup and have a few DVDs with copies of the picutres. If you have a secure place where you work or a close by relative you can trust, you may want to leave a copy of the important stuff there.

I don't want any of my data on a cloud where others may be able to get to it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Nonsense.

1) Trust but verify only works if you can verify. Trust alone is silly. 2) NSA 3) I you're that concerned about location, make two and keep one in a desk drawer at work (or some such). If you're really paranoid, put it in a safe deposit box.

Sure.

Weekly, at least.

In my house. The laptop goes with me (usually).

It doesn't mater for that "aw shit" moment. Off site is good, which is simply done. Alternate between two (or more) drives if you're that paranoid. If you are that paranoid, how the hell do you trust someone else with your data?

Absurd.

Reply to
krw

Clone the drive to an external drive and store it offsite. Keep your work system backup at home, and your home system backup at work - and if something is REALLY critical or sensitive, keep it in a safe deposit box. There is no such thing as a "secure" cloud. It might be secure today. You can bet at some point it WILL be hacked.

Reply to
clare

If I was a hacker, I'd look at the cloud the same way as a candy store with a flimsy door latch. You can bet I'd want to see and take a taste.

I can see some limited value to using it for a few people that travel a lot and may not always have their own hardware to access their info since any internet computer can be used. I can also see it being a PITA if you cannot get on line too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks to ALL for helpful advice. You are backing up (sorry!) my intuitive distrust of the cloud for two reasons (a) hackability -- not that I have anything the NSA would enjoy, and (b) unreliability.

For the last few years I back up [am supposed to be backing up!] to an external Seagate HD. Problem is, it runs off my computer, so if disaster strikes, would I lose everything IF HD was shut off? (More below re: continuous backup.)

Unlike some respondents, I do not have additional home computer; no tablet; no laptop; nada. Back in the Dark Ages, and quite content there.

That said: The concensus here [as well as computer lady's input] seems to be in favor of keeping one's backup-- in this case the ext. HD -- in a separate physical location. What does that MEAN? In another room? In another building?

Does another physical location mean that if ext HD is ON, contents will be wiped in disaster? But if it IS OFF, contents will NOT be lost? In the latter case, why not just let ext HD nestle beside the computer? Very confused...

In my long quest to deal with my undisciplined backup habits I have desultorily researched apps? software? that are said to enable continuous backup of DATA -- not programs, which can presumably be reinstalled.

I have been very timid/lazy, even after crashes few years ago, in dealing with backup, so I your experience appreciated.

  1. Agree cloud is not best solution

  1. Presently backing up data to Seagate Ext HD

  2. Need to understand "other physical location" for ext HD

  1. Would data be lost in crash if ext HD is (a) ON (b) OFF

  2. Recommendations for continuous back up of DATA only.

  1. Opinion on advertised "cloning" of all systems & data. Worth it?

Thanks for plowing through all this!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

blet; no laptop; nada. Back in the Dark Ages, and quite content there.

Can you burn a CD? Make two. Keep one at home, take the other to work or someplace away from the house and you are safe in case of a fire. It is also a good idea to take a lot of photos of you house and contents in case ever needed for an insurance claim.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What kind of disaster are you protecting against? If fire or flood destroys your location, your backup is toast if in the same place. Same goes for theft.

If connected it COULD be lost in case of data destruction by virus (think cryptolocker) or other catastrophic system failure. Safe if disconnected.

mirror systems (means redundant system, not just drive). Continuous backup in real life is a pipe dream and not required.

Clone the drive and you can drop it into a substantally identical system and be back up and running in minutes

Reply to
clare

As for another location to store the ext HD, IMO, that's a matter of preference. My main objective to have a back-up HD for protection in case of a failed or crashed PC hard drive. It has happened and I lost a lot of files.

If your PC (internal) HD fails or crashes and after it's fixed or if you simply get a new PC, it's easy to reload programs, but not easy to retrieve the data lost that you saved within those programs. You would start from scratch.

If your ext HD is plugged in your PC and your PC crashes, it will not crash the ext HD. In fact, many people don't even store their data to their PC HD and simply use the ext HD for their main storage.

I really don't think it's necessary to store it in another room, house, work, etc. unless you have some serious information that is wanted by another or you fear a house fire. If you're concerned about burglary/theft, then by all means, lock it up, but otherwise, I keep it by my PC and occasionally take it with me to work to access files from there.

The clone is a good idea if you want/need more than just back-up folders/file. Cloning will actually copy your entire PC HD exactly as it is on your PC hard drive with programs, folders, files, registry, etc. hence the word clone. It's simply an exact replica of your internal HD.

To determine the ext HD size, you can do two things. 1) simply match the same size as your PC drive. If the PC drive is supporting your data along with the programs to run it, you can ensure the same size ext HD will suffice. 2) You can go to properties of your C drive and right click properties to determine the amount of storage being used. Again, you can simply go with the same size or lower the size based on the amount you are using on the PC HD. If you think you will want to save more music or videos or serious graphics in the future, then go larger.

Overall, with the low cost of a 1 and 2 TB ext drives, you can simply splurge on that and it'll usually suffice for the average user.

Reply to
Meanie

It may be "easy" to reinstall programs - but it can take hours (or days) if there are numerous updates. A cloned hard drive is a 5 minute restore -

A foolish thing to do , as you STILL only have one copy of the data - and if that drive fails, you are USCWAP. And considering MOST remote hard drives use the cheapest consumer grade hard drives, assuming they will be "secondary storage". I've had a lot more "external hard drives" fail than system drives over the last number of years.

Reply to
clare

Go To Meeting? I can access my work intranet and laptop (assuming it's left ON) from anywhere. Security is IT's problem.

Reply to
krw

up (sorry!) my intuitive distrust of the cloud for two reasons (a) hackability -- not that I have any thing the NSA would enjoy, and (b) unreliability.

SM: I don't know a lot about the NSA, but no way to know. They may be trying to capture everything in the way of data.

backing up!] to an external Seagate HD. Problem is, it runs off my computer, so if disaster strikes, would I lose everything IF HD was shut off?

SM: I had a computer virus one time, that killed my hard drive. It also killed two external drives. I've backed up what I can to CD and DVD, as they won't pick up a virus, later.

lady's input] seems to be in favor of keeping one's backup-- in this case the ext. HD -- in a separate physical location. What does that MEAN? In another room? In another building?

SM: Another building. Work, or at friend's house, or outin the car.

HD is ON, contents will be wiped in disaster? But if it IS OFF, contents will NOT be lost?

SM: I'd keep the HD detached from the computer, unless in use. I lost a couple external drive that way.

nestle beside the computer? Very confused...

backup habits I have desultorily researched apps? software? that are said to enable continuous backup of DATA -- not programs, which can presumably be reinstalled.

SM: I should research that, also.

few years ago, in dealing with backup, so I your experience appreciated.

SM: I also don't do backups as often as I should.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't, because the typical HD size nowadays is 1 TB. Anything smaller than that won't be much cheaper. Since the price will be about the same, you might as well buy more storage. For one thing, the larger the device, the more copies of a backup it can hold. For another, people tend to accumulate more files than they think they will. More room is good.

and use atleast 2 or 3 of them

Remember, when it's attached to your network, it's just as vulnerable to hacking as the rest of your network. If you're not capable of doing a complete reinstall if your pc fails, then keep a backup drive connected in order to backup Windows and all your programs and system files. But as for your personal data, if it's important, limit your exposure to hackers/thieves by not keeping it (always) on your network. Store it on removable devices that can be connected only when you need access to the data. Otherwise, keep them off the network.

That goes for home networks as well. If it's kept on any device that is connected to your home network, and your network is connected to the internet, others may be able to get to it.

Separate your data into two categories: the stuff that's okay for others to view and/or share (e-books, recipes, music, etc), and the stuff that must be kept private (financial data, highly personal photos and such). If it must be kept private, don't store it on your home network. Use removable storage that is only connected to your pc or device on an as-needed basis. As for the lower-level stuff, store it where ever/however is most convenient for you to manage. But if it's important enough to keep, make backup copies of it.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Most subscription-based backup plans will automatically backup data found in certain folders (the User profile, most commonly), but if there's anything else stored elsewhere on the pc, the user must add that to their backup profile. Also, some plans limit the amount of data that can be backed up or have a maximum file size limit. So you have to read the terms of the plan to see if it'll fit your needs, and you may have to tweak your backup profile settings so it can find all the stuff you want it to backup.

Again, usually backup services have a user console that allows the user to change certain settings to the user's preference. And yes, the initial backup will be the slowest, because that's the first time it's backing up all your (selected) data. After that, it just performs incremental backups.

Personally, I prefer onsite storage, but there's a lot of my stuff that is handy to have ready access to (as long as there's an internet connection). For instance, my recipe collection and my service manuals for my cars and my yard equipment. It's really convenient to call up that service manual when I'm at the shop for a repair or just to buy a replacement part. I don't care if the world gets access to that kind of stuff, so I keep a copy in the cloud.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan