OT: Cloud storage providers

Page 1 of 2
Folks, I'm researching cloud storage providers, and asking all my NGs if people have real-time experience with and/or opinions about companies in this chart:
http://www.thetop10bestonlinebackup.com/online-backup-comparison
Your advice appreciated.
HB
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 19:11:33 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

Charter has unlimited cloud storage.
On 11/30/2013 10:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I've always been apprehensive of storing data on another providers server. IMO, I feel hackers will target these servers knowing the abundant files which they may be able to gain access. There's also the possibility of server crashes. But overall, I simply prefer to eliminate the chance of anyone else accessing my info.
I use a separate external hard-drive for backing up my folders/files. You can find 1TB drives for under a $100 and 2TB for a little more. IMO, I just don't see the reason to pay when you can do it yourself.
That's what I do, http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-clone-your-hard-drive/
On 12/1/2013 6:38 AM, Meanie wrote:

These are all valid concerns, mitigated somewhat by the security provided by MOST cloud servers. The remaining problem with your solution is similar to the real estate mantra... Location, Location, LOCATION!

How are you backing up to the external drive? How frequently? WHERE IS IT STORED? You should back up to a SEPARATE hard drive, you should back up continuously and the backup should be in a separate physical location in case of fire, theft or that "aw shit" moment. Only some form of Cloud backup can accomplish this.
On 12/1/2013 9:00 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: e. IMO,

such as this >>>
http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/4911/4911796_ra.jpg ;canvasHeightP0;canvasWidthP0
If you want to carry it with you, you can put in a shirt pocket. It's not much different than frequently updating to a cloud.
If you do a cloud backup once a week, then you can do the same for the external drive. It's up to the user. Whenever I add a folder or file, I usually back up, but it also depends on the priority factor of that folder/file. Otherwise, I may back up once every week or two, though, if I don't add anything, I may not back up for awhile. I simply copy all folders/files from my PCs explorer into the drive and let it go to work......done.
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 08:00:50 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Nonsense.
1) Trust but verify only works if you can verify. Trust alone is silly.
2) NSA
3) I you're that concerned about location, make two and keep one in a desk drawer at work (or some such). If you're really paranoid, put it in a safe deposit box.

Sure.

Weekly, at least.

In my house. The laptop goes with me (usually).

It doesn't mater for that "aw shit" moment. Off site is good, which is simply done. Alternate between two (or more) drives if you're that paranoid. If you are that paranoid, how the hell do you trust someone else with your data?

Absurd.
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 08:00:50 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

work system backup at home, and your home system backup at work - and if something is REALLY critical or sensitive, keep it in a safe deposit box. There is no such thing as a "secure" cloud. It might be secure today. You can bet at some point it WILL be hacked.
On 12/1/2013 1:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If I was a hacker, I'd look at the cloud the same way as a candy store with a flimsy door latch. You can bet I'd want to see and take a taste.
I can see some limited value to using it for a few people that travel a lot and may not always have their own hardware to access their info since any internet computer can be used. I can also see it being a PITA if you cannot get on line too.
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 11:28:49 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks to ALL for helpful advice. You are backing up (sorry!) my intuitive distrust of the cloud for two reasons (a) hackability -- not that I have anything the NSA would enjoy, and (b) unreliability.
For the last few years I back up [am supposed to be backing up!] to an external Seagate HD. Problem is, it runs off my computer, so if disaster strikes, would I lose everything IF HD was shut off? (More below re: continuous backup.)
Unlike some respondents, I do not have additional home computer; no tablet; no laptop; nada. Back in the Dark Ages, and quite content there.
That said: The concensus here [as well as computer lady's input] seems to be in favor of keeping one's backup-- in this case the ext. HD -- in a separate physical location. What does that MEAN? In another room? In another building?
Does another physical location mean that if ext HD is ON, contents will be wiped in disaster? But if it IS OFF, contents will NOT be lost? In the latter case, why not just let ext HD nestle beside the computer? Very confused...
In my long quest to deal with my undisciplined backup habits I have desultorily researched apps? software? that are said to enable continuous backup of DATA -- not programs, which can presumably be reinstalled.
I have been very timid/lazy, even after crashes few years ago, in dealing with backup, so I your experience appreciated.
2. Presently backing up data to Seagate Ext HD
3. Need to understand "other physical location" for ext HD
4. Would data be lost in crash if ext HD is (a) ON (b) OFF
5. Recommendations for continuous back up of DATA only.
6. Opinion on advertised "cloning" of all systems & data. Worth it?
Thanks for plowing through all this!
HB
On 12/1/2013 3:44 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
blet; no laptop; nada. Back in the Dark Ages, and quite content there.

Can you burn a CD? Make two. Keep one at home, take the other to work or someplace away from the house and you are safe in case of a fire. It is also a good idea to take a lot of photos of you house and contents in case ever needed for an insurance claim.
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 1:07:55 PM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ed, that's what I would LOVE to do! Put my effing data on disc. Cheap, safe, portable. Forget the effing cloud!
But something went wrong with my F drive. I can READ DVDs on it, but I can't RECORD! It says "F drive is not accessible. Incorrect Function" Whatthehell!!!
I actually hired someone to come in and figure out why, but they blew a lot of my time and money trying to contact Philips and getting transferred all over creation, result zip.
This can't be rocket science! I'll have to find someone to fix it. ****Maybe somebody here has a glimmer?**** Running XP on a Dell PC. Have also posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

Right! My nephew went through last year and photographed everything, inside cabinets, all detail. I keep disc at the bank.
HB
On 12/2/2013 9:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It isn't rocket science. Can you use a screwdriver? Then you can replace the drive. Long run it is probably cheaper than having a clueless tech taking a lot of time.
On Monday, December 2, 2013 6:53:55 PM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Whatthehell!!!

all over creation, result zip.

o posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

Yes, I can use a screwdriver, but I would also like to know whatthehell I a m doing with it! Are you suggesting opening the Ext HD and -- doing what? It works when READING discs, but just won't accept RECORDING them. Doesn' t that sound like software? This is the blind leading the (maybe) sighted, but do I have a point?
HB
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:37:25 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

two separate parts - so it can be a hardware issue - but what software are you using?? If you are using the windows included burn software, it does NOT handle DVD burning (using windows explorer). Youneed something like Nero - and even then, the older versions only handled burning CD ROM, not DVD. Reading DVD is supported by windows directly.
IF it is hardware, you can replace the drive in the external housing with a new drive with only a screwdriver and a half decent set of eyes.
On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:11:22 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

" Whatthehell!!!

red all over creation, result zip.

also posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

t? It works when READING discs, but just won't accept RECORDING them. Doe sn't that sound like software? This is the blind leading the (maybe) sight ed, but do I have a point?

You need something like nero to burn video dvd's but windows will burn a da ta dvd all by it's self.

for less than what you paid the tech to come out, you could have just bought another drive and installed it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:44:14 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

destroys your location, your backup is toast if in the same place. Same goes for theft.

(think cryptolocker) or other catastrophic system failure. Safe if disconnected.

backup in real life is a pipe dream and not required.

Clone the drive and you can drop it into a substantally identical system and be back up and running in minutes

On 12/1/2013 3:44 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

preference. My main objective to have a back-up HD for protection in case of a failed or crashed PC hard drive. It has happened and I lost a lot of files.
If your PC (internal) HD fails or crashes and after it's fixed or if you simply get a new PC, it's easy to reload programs, but not easy to retrieve the data lost that you saved within those programs. You would start from scratch.
If your ext HD is plugged in your PC and your PC crashes, it will not crash the ext HD. In fact, many people don't even store their data to their PC HD and simply use the ext HD for their main storage.
I really don't think it's necessary to store it in another room, house, work, etc. unless you have some serious information that is wanted by another or you fear a house fire. If you're concerned about burglary/theft, then by all means, lock it up, but otherwise, I keep it by my PC and occasionally take it with me to work to access files from there.
The clone is a good idea if you want/need more than just back-up folders/file. Cloning will actually copy your entire PC HD exactly as it is on your PC hard drive with programs, folders, files, registry, etc. hence the word clone. It's simply an exact replica of your internal HD.
To determine the ext HD size, you can do two things. 1) simply match the same size as your PC drive. If the PC drive is supporting your data along with the programs to run it, you can ensure the same size ext HD will suffice. 2) You can go to properties of your C drive and right click properties to determine the amount of storage being used. Again, you can simply go with the same size or lower the size based on the amount you are using on the PC HD. If you think you will want to save more music or videos or serious graphics in the future, then go larger.
Overall, with the low cost of a 1 and 2 TB ext drives, you can simply splurge on that and it'll usually suffice for the average user.

It may be "easy" to reinstall programs - but it can take hours (or days) if there are numerous updates. A cloned hard drive is a 5 minute restore -

and if that drive fails, you are USCWAP. And considering MOST remote hard drives use the cheapest consumer grade hard drives, assuming they will be "secondary storage". I've had a lot more "external hard drives" fail than system drives over the last number of years.