OT: Churchillian reposte

I hadn't heard this one.

In 1945, Churchill walked into the men's room at the House of Commons. Standing at the first urinal was Clement Atlee, the new Prime Minister. Churchill passed him and took up his position at the far urinal.

Atlee shouts down to Churchill, "Why so standoffish, Winston?"

Churchill, unbuttoning his fly, replied "Because, Clement, whenever you see something large you want to nationalize it!"

Reply to
HeyBub

On 8/22/2009 7:49 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Not bad.

My favorite Churchillism is this:

While serving as a young subaltern, Winston Churchill (who then sported a trim mustache) found himself embroiled in a heated argument with a grand dowager at a formal dinner. "Young man," she snapped, "I care for neither your politics nor your mustache." "Madam," Churchill replied, "you are unlikely to come into contact with either."

(Although I've heard this as "Madam, you are as unlikely to come into contact with the former as with the latter", which strikes me as better.)

You can find lots more at

(By the way, it's "riposte", but you knew that.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 8/22/2009 8:32 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

[snip]

OTOH, maybe it is a "reposte", since you're reposteing it ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

RepostAY. It is French.

Reply to