OT Chinese productivity

Page 1 of 5
Chinese workers build 15-story hotel in just six days
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101112/bs_yblog_upshot/chinese-workers-build-15-story-hotel-in-just-six-days
Be sure to watch the time-lapse video of the construction. Amazing.

They did not build it. They ASSEMBLED it, according to the report. BIG difference.

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Correct. Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Chinese construction practices:
http://gizmodo.com/5304233/entire-new-13+story-building-tips-over-in-shanghai/gallery /
Jon
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I agree with you, this is not the amazing feat that it seems to be.
The six days did not include site preparation or foundation work (referencing Jon Danniken's post, I can only hope they bothered with a foundation).
Work proceeded 24 hours per day. Tough luck for the neighbors, but in a communist dictatorship no one complains. There was no true "building" (no measuring, cutting, welding, riveting, or grinding), there was only prefab assembly. Six cranes were in service, compared to the usual one or two.
It would also be helpful to have China's cheap 1.3 Billion strong labor pool.
Tony Sivori Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.

Saw or read somewhere that throwing labor at projects is the rigour. That said early productivity gains that are yet to come are or and the first 50% the easiest to actualize. I'd hazard a guess more things in my house beside this G5 iMac will be from china. Hell they now have the fastest computer in the world. Still 1 billion with 800 million out of the progress loop should be interesting.
Good book if you can find it . "China at work" deals with tools prior to oil.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /
wrote Re Re: OT Chinese productivity:

Good excuses, but in the end they are the ones getting the job done and the Western countries are the ones loosing the jobs. They are on the way up; we are on the way down; and we are just passing in the middle.

Caesar Romano wrote:

Those are not excuses. They are reasons and facts.
We're losing jobs because of corporate greed. Why pay a decent, living wage when you can instead abuse the economically disadvantaged?

American worker productivity is much higher than Chinese workers.
"U.S. Workers World's Most Productive"
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/03/business/main3228735.shtml
--
Tony Sivori
wrote Re Re: OT Chinese productivity:

So how is it that they are beating the crap out of us?

China manipulates it's currency where the US lets theirs float.
A lot of it is corporate greed and taking advantage of a country full of people that will work for pennies a day.
Unfair tariffs on US goods.
Jim
Re Re: OT Chinese productivity:

The US is manipulating the $ right now by running the printing presses to "print" 600B$ of new currency right out of thin air. That drives the value of the $ down on world makes and raises the price of imported products.
Have you been watching the price of oil and gasoline lately?

china doesnt have all those pesky OSHA, minimum wage and other laws either.
If a worker dies on the job they just replace them.... the country overflows with available workers

IMO, it was still quite a feat. There was a lot of prep work done and good engineering and planning to pull it off, but still a lot of work at the job site.
We've bought some tooling from China over the past few years. It is just as good quality as the US build, but in 3 weeks (delivered) instead of 12 and $20,000 instead of $35,000.
wrote

(no
prefab
job
In the 1950's that was the USA putting up places like Levittown. I just saw a time-lapse film of the way they built those homes. They broke it down into I believe 27 steps and even had a crew that did nothing but install and bolt down the free washing machines that came with each home (and TV!). Parts of China look like the US in 1880's and parts look like the US in the 1950's and parts look just like the USA today.

as
Does the time lag represent a backup or lack of capacity in US toolmakers or are there so many Chinese machinists and factory floor space available for the price of one US machinist that they can work work four times as fast? Fast turnaround is really a competitive advantage because there hasn't been a place I've worked that didn't want their specialized *whatever* the day that they ordered it. (-;
-- Bobby G.

I've not visited the companies, but from what I've been told, they put a lot of people, each doing a small portion of the job and work more hours per day. Most of the tool shops here work 8 or 16 hour days. The US shop sends CAD drawing for approval after two weeks. The shop in China sends them in two days.
Cost aside, lead time can make the difference between getting an order from the customer or him going to a competitor.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:33:56 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Just curious. What kind of tooling?

wrote Re Re: OT Chinese productivity:

Cast aluminum tooling used for molding plastics. Usually a combination of castings mounted on plates with machining, knock out pins, cooling lines, etc.
On 11/13/2010 12:41 PM, Tony Sivori wrote:

I've watched a number of buildings go up and it is always the foundation work that takes all the time. That seems to take forever, and then the building blows up.
Not that I see anyone racing to build, but it is amazing how fast iron work can go. The way over built Empire State Building took a year or so. Four and a half floors per week in a building of a much larger foot print. I find that to be much more impressive.
Jeff

On 11/14/2010 11:23 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I know nobody can afford it any more (and in our disposable society where we routinely blow up 30 YO stadiums nobody wants it), but I LIKE 'overbuilt' buildings. I bet ESB is still standing long after many much younger buildings are taken down or fall down. The old buildings are probably overbuilt mainly because they just didn't know how much margin was needed, where today they can plot the structure to be 105% of what is needed, and not a penny more.
--
aem sends...

On 11/14/2010 11:44 AM, aemeijers wrote:

Yea, then some little Mexican worker leaves out that one bolt........
TDD

The ESB is overbuilt because it was intended to moor dirigibles.

Like the WTC. They even had to reinforce it after it was completed because they flubbed the calculations.