OT - Charitable Requests Overwhelming

It *will* work. Just be sure to ask them to "Remove my name AND address from their mailing list." Be sure to ask that b-o-t-h be removed as I did it in the past without emphasizing AND so the squirrels just removed my name the next time I got a mailing. I quickly corrected that oversite and have not failed since to ask for name AND address to be removed.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

just for curiosity. As of this morning, I have more than 40 requests for support. There may be some duplicates in the pile, I didn't make any effort to sort out and throw out duplicates. I use Charity Navigator as my primary screening tool, as well as those local charities my wife and I are personally acquainted with. It still is a huge amount of effort to relieve my wife and myself of our hard-earned pension and savings.

What do other folks do?

first check to see if Uncle Charity Monster is one of those requests

second, report him for spamming you

Reply to
ZZyXX

It hasn't worked for me. One organization that I do support has me on their mailing list twice. I put a PostIt note on my checks telling them to drop one or the other but it never happens. Maybe an empty envelope with the note will have more success.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

After my father died I got his junk mail. Most senders gave up after a couple of years, except it was a couple of decades for some (mostly political organizations). Notifying them made no difference. Even after I moved, the junk kept coming.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Per Mark Lloyd:

I still have trouble with the idea that some people talk to strangers making unsolicited phone calls... period....

Every so often the news does a bit on some scam or another and a local citizen that got taken. Somewhere along the line they say some mealy-mouthed BS like "You really should check with the Better Business Bureau before you send money to a stranger who calls you on the phone."

That always makes me a little crazy - as in wanting to throw something at the TV screen....

Heaven forbid they should say "You talk to strangers on the phone???? What, are you stupid????"

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark Lloyd:

I still have trouble with the idea that some people talk to strangers making unsolicited phone calls... period....

... Heaven forbid they should say "You talk to strangers on the phone???? What, are you stupid????" ...

Actually, there is one phone solicitation I do respond to--the annual student telethon from my uni engineering college from which graduated. I do enjoy talking with current student if only for a brief time and do request a pledge card each year to which respond as see fit depending on the year and all...

Reply to
dpb

The president of my alma mater is the highest paid president of a private college in the US. They don't need my money.

When I was there it was in the top three along with MIT and CalTech. Now it's 147th.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm sure many are worthy, however when you are on a pension (if you are lucky to have one) you need to support yourself first, otherwise you become part of the problem.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Per dpb:

Some standup comic or another said something like this:

"I *never* hang up on telephone solicitors. Instead I talk to them. I tell them that my wife left me, I'm out of work, the house is about to be foreclosed, the dog died, my son is in jail for drugs, my 12-year-old daughter is pregnant, I keep getting letters from the IRS..... and *they* hang up on *me*."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)