OT Cell problem

First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high hopes.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Some cut. I bought a couple clamshell phones on Ebay for under $30 if memory serves. I have no idea about cell company policies.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You'd probably get better results if you disclosed the make/model and asked the question in a cellphone venue. My Palm Treo 850 has a menu option that requires me to push another key to complete the turnon process. Otherwise, it goes back off. Assume you've examined those options.

If you're not using it, why carry it on your person?

Reply to
mike

mike wrote in news:kntc98$3lg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's an LG 500G.

Good idea trying a cell newsgroup. I'll see if I can find one.

I didn't see that option. I'll look again later.

In case I need to make a call when I'm away from home, Also in case of an emergency - like a medical problem I can call 911. Just in case. Makes me feel better.

Reply to
KenK

You need to lock your keyboard. I googled for: lg500g key lock and I found this:

HOW TO KEYLOCK THE LG500G

Exit all menus back to the main screensaver. Locate the lower left key with the padlock on it. PRESS and HOLD. The screen will display the message that the keys are locked.

TO UNLOCK: press any key to activate the screen. Press the upper left button with UNLOCK over it - a screen pops up telling you to press the upper right button with YES over it. Press , ONCE , because it becomes the dreaded BROWSE button on unlock.

I don't whether or not this will work on your 'phone, but it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps,

pilgrim

Reply to
pilgrim

Depends on the phone. My BlackBerry has a magnetic switch in it that turns off the keyboard and a few other features when a magnet gets close to it - and the holster has a magnet in the right place. The phone runs about 4 days on a charge if it is not used - and that's with a 3 year old battery.

Reply to
clare

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying

problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high hopes.

TIA

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

Reply to
HeyBub

pilgrim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, but this works only when the phone is on. I need a mechanical lock or key protection when the phone is off.

Reply to
KenK

Clever idea! Never occured to me. Unfortunately - always an 'unfortunately', isn't there? - the cell case is extremely difficult to open. I dread changing batteries, much less doing so every time I wish to use it.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:1ixot.99451$ snipped-for-privacy@fed08.iad:

Reply to
KenK

"HeyBub" wrote in news:h4- dnZgCq6ZyGz7MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and pay the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
KenK

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and pay

the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

KenK wrote in news:XnsA1CC5664ACCF8invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

Stop farting.

Reply to
PeterD

Wouldn't one be too small for a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 1/2" cell?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:rxPot.127923$ snipped-for-privacy@fed07.iad:

Reply to
KenK

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:rxPot.127923$ snipped-for-privacy@fed07.iad:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably a better selection online anyhow. (I know there is a much larger selection of cases online than I can find in the local phone store for my model). Try Amazon since a lot of times you can throw something else into the order to hit the $25 limit and get free shipping. Or eBay because that often has free shipping. In some cases for both sites, the cost is more to cover the "free" shipping but I've also found items where it's less and still free.

Reply to
Lee B

Call your provider and have the web blocked. That will solve that piece.

Reply to
Thomas

The OP didn't specify what cell phone he had, but this might help.

willshak