OT - Cell phones

Page 2 of 3
YEah, that really pushes my buttons.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Same here. They're much handier than the business band radios of old. We can leave voice mail for each other with the phone which is a big advantage over the radios.
CY: Yes, that's good. I'd guess that there was once in a while when the cell towers were overloaded, or the power was out. That the business radios worked. But, that's not very often.
We can call our farmer customers if we need to. They can't call us. Our phones don't broadcast our numbers, a very handy feature.
CY: Ah, so you have call ID blocking. I did that for a while. I'm considering unblocking for the new phone. Nice to have my customers be able to get a hold of me.
My co worker has a camera phone. It was handy once. He tried to describe an electrical component to me without success. He showed me a picture of it the next day.
CY: Yes, that's good. The phone I had, was able to email pictures to others computers. Which came in handy.
I bought the first personal ones for my parents. They needed one if they had problems traveling on country roads in Nebraska.
CY: I have suggested a phone for my parents, but they don't seem interested at the moment.
A list here of prepaid cell phones if anyone happens to be interested: > http://tinyurl.com/dfyvn
CY: Thanks, that looks useful.
On 10/7/2010 9:34 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I simply don't answer if the CID is blocked. That idea is something from the past when cell phones were a lot more expensive to use and not as common. Some people thought it was a big deal if they had your cell # and would sometimes abuse the privilege. Now all you do is annoy someone if you block CID.

It comes in very handy for me. What is the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?

CY: I've heard from two other people that the Fed Ex drivers aren't very diligent. They slap a sticker on the door and run. They don't make much effort to pound on the door, ring the bell, etc.

I simply don't answer if the CID is blocked. That idea is something from the past when cell phones were a lot more expensive to use and not as common. Some people thought it was a big deal if they had your cell # and would sometimes abuse the privilege. Now all you do is annoy someone if you block CID.
CY: when I got my first cell, I also had a pager. I'd have people beep me, and I'd ring em back. Much the same, I didn't want to pay for junk calls coming in. Now days, cells are common. Today I turned off the call ID blocking for my outgoing calls.

It comes in very handy for me. What is the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?
CY: Yes, I've found that to be the case. I've been able to pop and send a picture many times, and that's really come in handy.
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:37:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I don't answer calls without CID (or name but no number of blocked) unless I am expecting a call. Most of them are junk calls.
--
77 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
On 10/9/2010 8:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

is passing the info anyway, and IMHO they shouldn't be allowed to charge extra for delivering it to my end of the loop. Remember, they used to charge extra for touch-tone, too.
I usually just let the droid answer it. Not like I get many legitimate calls anyway.
--
aem sends...

On 10/9/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

CID comes with cellphones and I ported our house number that everyone had to a pay as you go VoIP line which includes CID, voicemail, voicemail to email etc and costs ~ $4.50/month.
On 10/10/2010 7:32 AM, George wrote:

Fine and dandy as long as you don't get any multi-day power outages and your cell carrier has good UPS systems at the tower sites. On your home VOIP, as soon as whatever toy UPS is on your cable or fiber modem goes flat, there goes your phone service. On many cell companies, their tower UPS systems are good for about 4 hours. A hardwired non-cordless phone on an old-style copper POTs line is by far the most reliable service you can have.
--
aem sends....

On 10/10/2010 7:41 AM, aemeijers wrote:

Yes, many cell companies have toy power backup. Our phones are on VZW which can ride through weeks because they have large battery capacity and generators on everything.
Four hours is actually pretty optimistic. AT&T & tmobile sites have their equipment in pedestals and there is only a small battery fitted. They are lucky if they can stay up one hour.
The home VoIP line is purely a convenience thing.
George wrote:

We're pretty fortunate from that standpoint. Only one of our customers blocks our calls. Most agree with our reasoning if we explain it. I ask "Do you want to pay my boss XX $/hour for me to talk to Farmer Blue on the phone about his problems?" I don't see how guys in welding/repair shops track their time. It seems like they are always being interrupted. I doubt there is such a thing as flat rate for most of their work. Our office can handle most of the questions and the scheduling. We need to concentrate on our repair work. We're like most farm related businesses. Things get pretty hectic during the growing season. It's better organized if farmers call the office to schedule work instead of trying to track us down.
On 10/8/2010 9:44 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I have a pager and instruct people to call that number and leave a message, I keep my cellphone turned off.
TDD
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 23:53:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas

how stupid. You can take messages by having them call your cell phone with its ringer turned off or set to beep just once. Once less device to pay service for or to carry around.
On 10/9/2010 12:12 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:

Before you questioned my intelligence, pinhead, you should have asked. If there is an emergency, I've instructed those who would have reason to call me in an emergency to punch in 911 followed by their number, usually the last four digits or a pass-code. I won't talk on my cellphone when I'm driving, not because I can't walk and chew gum at the same time but because the multitude of inattentive morons I share the public roads with requires that I practice extreme diligence.
TDD

attention on something you let the call go to voicemail.
If you are on the road a lot one of the best investments you can make is a BT speakerphone. Mine announces the incoming caller and does a very decent job of voice calling.

What's astonishing is, how cell-phones have dozens of features so one can have/buy/own any number of devices to interact with each of them, giving everyone more features than they know what to do with, so everyone can have an untold number of personalized options, yet you two think everyone should use theirs exactly like you do. What a couple of pompous asses.
nb
On 10/9/2010 8:56 AM, notbob wrote:

Thank you for telling me about my donkey's attitude. If you had read closely, you may have noticed that I described what I DO MYSELF, not what everyone else SHOULD or MUST do. I wrote about MY use of a cell phone and pager. I wouldn't think of trying to control your use of a cellphone. If your use of a cellphone is a danger to me on the road, I'm going to be as far away from you as I can get. My philosophy is to let the inattentive drivers wreck behind me, not in front of or next to me. Please behave as you wish, it's your right to do so. If you were chastising someone else, never mind.... 8-)
TDD
On 10/9/2010 6:21 AM, George wrote:

That's why I have voicemail with my paging service. If I need to write down information, I pull over to the side of the road or I wait to get to my destination before trying to decipher what someone is trying to tell me. I rarely talk and drive unless it's to get directions on the move and that's usually at slow speeds without a flock of 3000 pound unguided missiles surrounding me. GEEZ!
TDD
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:19:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Why carry two devices when the cell phone can do everything the pager does. Why have people leave a message on one device forcing you to manually dial it on another device? Just leave the message on the cell phone, and then call back later.
Who the fuck said you have to be a roadside hazzard in order for people to leave messages on your cellphone. Maybe you shouldn't have either device if you are incapable of prioritizing your attention.

All the cell phone companies have both 1) the ability to leave a number instead of a message and 2) the ability to call back the person who left the voicemail with a single command.
I don't see having to read the # off a pager to be manually typed into a cell phone as a great feature.
On 10/9/2010 10:27 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:

One more time, I have had the same pager number for more than 20 years, it's how people get in touch with me. If it's an emergency, those who have a reason to call me with an emergency know to punch in 911 followed by their number. REDUNDANT communication is important to me and the paging system has proven itself to be much more reliable in getting a message to me. I hope you can understand that. I have more than one phone number and those numbers are forwarded to a single point which is my paging service. A cellphone doesn't always work and only one cellphone has ever proven itself to be as tough as my pager which will last 15 years. It has a 1996 Motorola Nextel phone that was huge and tough enough to use as a billy club and keep working. The little Nokia I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it. The pager hits the ground, bounces a few times and all I have to do is wipe any dirt off of it keep on truckin. I want things that work all the time and in my many years of experience, cellphones don't do that.
TDD