OT Cell phone voice recognition

I would post this to a cell phone Usenet group, but I don't know of an active one. If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate the name of the newsgroup.

My cell phone has a feature that you can speak the name and it will call the number. The only problem is that my phone must not understand hillbilly.

I had about 20 numbers in my phone from people I occasionally call. Half of the time I could not get the phone to understand me. Because I only use reading glasses, and don't have them on most of the time, it would be nice to be able to just speak the number instead of having to put on my glasses to see. I wanted this to work badly enough that I deleted all but 8 phone numbers from my contacts and it still doesn't work right.

A friend and I walk 3 miles almost every evening, and we call each other to make sure we both are going. I had his name in my phone directory as Dan. I would say........Dan, and the phone would ask.......Did you say Pam? No, I didn't say Pam. Well it couldn't get it. I ended up changing his name to Mike so it would not try to call my sister. It still misses it half of the time. It does pretty good if I am still in my car, and have the radio off, but if I am outside walking, it misses it half of the time.

You would think if they were going to use VR they would at least let you record your own voice pronunciation with the entry.

It would also be nice if would just start calling out numbers in your directory. You could have a skip 5 command or a skip 10. Back 1.

After it fails to look up the number you have to press another button on the phone to try again. You need a "try again" VR command too.

BTW I have a M320 Sprint phone.

Reply to
Metspitzer

A few observations:

A. If the names are numbered, you might get by with just entering a number (if you can remember the association). B. Get a 'phone with a larger screen so you can see the numbers. C. Go by a Sprint store and explain your problem to the technician. Maybe he can load the hillbilly dialect detection circuit D. (My favorite) Get contact lenses for reading (usually a "+" number). Wear only one. That way you can read, but the fuzzy distance doesn't interfere with long-distance depth perception, as in driving. There are, however, two problems associated with this scheme: I. Some people's brain explodes as it tries to deal with conflicting information, and II. Depth perception at less than 18" suffers somewhat.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Metspitzer" wrote

You are on the right track by changing names. I had a problem with calling hOme as the pronunciation was mistaken for O and the phone wanted to dial zero. It is now listed as "my house" and the accuracy has been perfect. Joan wan another problem with the O sound no I now use her last name.

Does the phone have speed dial? I can have 10 numbers that all I have to do is press and hold a button down for a few seconds and it dials the assigned number.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's been a couple years, but a friend, which carrier he uses I don't know, complained that he could say 2 and it would dial phone number 2, but he couldn't say 2 1 2- 2 3 4 - 5 6 7 8 and have it dial that number. He had a lot more use for that, when he was driving. I wonder if they ever fixed it.

Reply to
mm

It does have a speed dial, and I guess that is what I am going to have to use. I really wanted VR to work though. I was messing with another feature from Google called GOOG-411.

works just about as poorly, but when you are away from a phone book it is useful to give it a try.

Has anyone besides me noticed that GOOG-411 is using a human voice to emulate a computer sound?

It asks for a business and city state. It would be cool if it used GPS to at least start with businesses in your area.

Reply to
Metspitzer

It thinks dan is pam, make dan, pam [ then it will probably say, Do you mean spam]. My motorola does the same thing and I gave up. I figure its a feature they thought they could gain sales with and knew it didnt work but included it any way,

Reply to
ransley

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I never wore glasses until 45 or so when my arms were getting too short . After wearing reading glasses for a while, my eyes got also a bit worse for real distance and got some astigmatism. I went for real prescription glasses with graduated focus. As explained to me, you either get used to them in about 10 days, or not. Just try real hard. I did and after about a week of annoying vision, it "clicked", and I haven't looked back. I like humongous glasses, and nowadays they're not so easy to get, but I like preipheral vision. For the relatively low degree of correction, I don't want contacts. Maybe I would have at 30 or

35, but not now.

I have never used the VR on my iPhone, because I'm too cheap to pay extra for it .

Reply to
Han

If your cell phone VR thinks DAN is PAM, try reprogramming that number as ... DAN HOME, DAN CELL, or DAN WORK, for each of those contact numbers.

Be creative with voice commands when encountering a name that your VR has difficulty recognizing.

Also, cell phones are sensitive to extraneous noises, so speak the name in a relatively quiet environment, and hold the phone close to your mouth. Speak the way you normally do - don't shout.

My cell phone - a Nokia - recognizes my wife's voice, as well as mine.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

I lot depends on how much effort they put into it when designing the phone. I had one phone that was just as you described and others that were really decent. Current phone is really decent when using the BT speakerphone.

If voice recognition is an important feature for you it is a good idea to try out the various phones that can be used on your carrier.

Reply to
George

my commonly called numbers are all speed dials, i just open phone and press ONE button...

no messing with speech recognition

Reply to
hallerb

alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular ...

Look through the alt.cellular hierarchy :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

The keyword was "active"

Reply to
Metspitzer

I didn't need glasses until I was 54 and it was a *quick* progression from cheaters to prescription bifocals. I needed bifocals for computer screens (so have the biggest lenses I can get). I don't want graduated focus because the screen is pretty much equidistant from my eyes and the keyboard is also, more or less. The bottom glass is also good for reading books. I can still get by without correction for distance, but I too have picked up an astigmatism, so that won't be long. The only problem I have with driving is that the instruments are too close. ;-)

I'm far too cheap to own an iPhone.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: