OT carburetor question

Page 3 of 3

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:35:54 -0400, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Wonder what acetone's like? I think it's what they use in nail polish remover, but I don't know how easy it is to buy it in the kind of quantity that would be useful for parts cleaning.

Acetone is available in quart and gallon cans at most larger hardware stores.
bob_v
Bob Villa wrote:

Yes, normally in the paint section.

I wonder how long that will be true. Acetone was the chemical they guy was buying at the beauty supply to make bombs with. Last time I was in the home store they only had quarts and not many of those. I bet you will be signing for it soon.

I disagree. Mexicans work their ass off.

p.s. Some are legal, some are illegal.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:44:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've always used the GUNK product with the parts basket. Stripped the carb and put all the metal parts in for soaking (auto store).
Allow to sit a day or so, rinse with water and blow out the jets with an air hose. Soaking helps break down varnish and grime - overnight.

What you might try is the dishwasher soap (Cascade, Electra-sol etc.) and boiling water. Give it a soak for 20-30 minutes and it should be dazzlingly clean.
--

Roger Shoaf