OT carburetor question

I still have some 1.1.1 trichloroethane and it does a great job on grease but not so much on carb varnish.

Reply to
gfretwell

Back in the early 70's I worked for an electrical supply company that also had a motor rewinding shop. In the shop was a hot trichloroethylene vapor tank that was used to clean parts. You would place your dirty, greasy metal parts into the tank, the vapor would immediately start to condense on the surfaces and you could see the grime dripping off the metal. Sometimes the boss would let us bring our engine parts into the shop on the weekends so we could clean them up. I miss those days.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:hc7r15$v3d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I worked in a mfg shop in that era and had the same thing - Trichloroethylene Vapor Degreaser. It was a large steel lined pit in the concrete floor. A large basket was loaded with parts and lowered into the pit with an overhead hoist. Had my motorcycle frame in there once to give you an idea of the size. Under the wire mesh pit bottom was the nightmareish liquid a bubbling. The vapor filled the pit up to the cold water pipes that were maybe 2 ft below the top rim around the perimeter. Vapor did not come above the pipes. You could also just hang parts in it off the edge from long hooks. Occasionally your fingers went below the vapor line. You had them out in less than a second but they were a combo of white dry and red burned.

Reply to
Red Green

Van Chocstraw wrote in news:DIWdnYqlH8U3CnjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I disagree. Mexicans work their ass off.

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9CB1F2D208A5DRedGreen@

216.168.3.70:

p.s. Some are legal, some are illegal.

Reply to
Red Green

That's the stuff, I read where it's making a comeback because the safer replacement was murdering the helpless little ozones. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes. Is that a concern?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It should be to you...if you want to "sound" intelligent.

Reply to
Bob Villa