OT: car wiper blades

Page 1 of 2
I know this is more of a car question but decided to ask here anyway. Just wondering when you clean your wiper blades, do they get absolutely clean or do they still give off black powder or stain on your paper towel or sponge? Is there a favorite cleaning solvent to do this job?

Desert.... wow. And I thought it was hot in Houston. Thanks.

Well almost <g>. Where I am, usually we have 95 to 98F but sometimes 102F. But we have some humidity with that. I can tolerate up to 95 but 95 and up, it burns my skin.

Most times I just use a paper towel with water and yes, there is a black residue.
I've been using Bosch blades for a few years now. A few bucks more than others, but they seem to wipe better and last longer.

I recently had some Bosch blades that starting chattering. I went back to the auto parts store where I bought them and said to the guy "My Bosch blades are chattering. I honestly don't remember when I bought them, but I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year. Do you think they're just worn out?"
We went outside, he listened to them chatter, grabbed me a new pair and installed them for me. No receipt, no paperwork, nothing.
When I offered to tip him he said "Don't worry about it. You were honest and you were a nice guy with no bitching like we get from a lot of people. Have a nice day."
They'll be getting my business in the future.
Which store?
I've had good results with Anco blades.
I recently had some Bosch blades that starting chattering. I went back to the auto parts store where I bought them and said to the guy "My Bosch blades are chattering. I honestly don't remember when I bought them, but I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year. Do you think they're just worn out?"
We went outside, he listened to them chatter, grabbed me a new pair and installed them for me. No receipt, no paperwork, nothing.
When I offered to tip him he said "Don't worry about it. You were honest and you were a nice guy with no bitching like we get from a lot of people. Have a nice day."
They'll be getting my business in the future.

The store with all the batteries, oil and other car related stuff.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:56:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I used to just give them a swipe with a rag soaked in laquer thinners - softened them up - took off the oxidized surface, and made them work for another couple of months. I use silicone rubber blades now and they do not harden nearly as fast.

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 23:48:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

That's impressive... very nice.

Same brand on several cars of mine. Not sure if they last longer, maybe??? They seem to work good except for when the window or wiper needs some cleaning. Thanks.

While on the subject of windshields, I use either Prestone yellow or RainX pink for fluid. It is far superior to the cheap blue stuff. It will help get light frost off the windshield and it does not freeze like the blue once the alcohol flashes off.

Do you think this is better than a mix of water with vinegar? I've been using these 2 for some time now. I don't have to worry about freezing temps 99% of the time.

May not be any better for cleaning, but it is much better if you live in a cold climate.
Add a couple of drops of dish detergent to your mix to take advantage of the surfactants.

or, Jet-Dri
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 05:22:27 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

Very interesting idea that I never thought of. Just wonder if the window is slightly dirty if that's still okay otherwise sounds good ?

I have cleaned blades. I don't see where it helps. It does matter on blade type. Wish I could remember all the ones I've used.
Greg

The only cleaning I've ever seen help is when there is a leaf or bug stuck to a blade. Seems like after a year or so they just lay over and don't work very good anymore.
On 01/13/2013 03:39 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Agreed. However I usually just clean them with whatever I'm using to clean the windshield, either ammonia water or a premade window cleaner. Usually the first wipe does result in a lot of black coming off.
Now what I was going to say which is somewhat unrelated to the OP's question but may be helpful, is that I've had excellent luck with the newfangled silicone wiper blades. I've tried both PIAA and Silblade and both seem to be very good and last at least 3-4x as long as any other blade that I've tried. I replaced one pair of PIAAs because the wiping edge actually wore out (after several years of daily use) and wasn't sharp anymore (so they became slightly streaky) but the blades were still nice and soft and flipped over properly and never chattered.
I prefer PIAA over Silblade because the Silblades that I tried on my Jeep (because they were cheaper than I could find PIAAs at the time that I ordered them) are painted a glossy metallic black which when hit by the sun at just the right angle can be as blinding as the old school polished stainless blades.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:52:46 PM UTC-7, Nate Nagel wrote:

==One thing I found is that factory wiper blades from Chrysler will last at least one season and then be useless crap. I'm going to try those new silicone ones and see how they perform.
==
On 01/13/2013 04:17 PM, Roy wrote:

I hope you like them! Just be ready for the sticker shock - but IMHO they're worth it.
My cars with a few exceptions have always been parked outside, because the places I've lived have all been "high rent" districts where a garage is something only really rich people can afford... so I wish someone had turned me onto the silicone blades years ago. I used to recommend Bosch blades but the silicone ones are just so much better.
Clean the windshield really well right before installation (if you hand wash your car, I would wash the windshield with Bon Ami - yes really! - before starting your usual wash regiment, just be sure to rinse well) and enjoy.
nate