OT: car repair and idiots of the day

I follow a BMW website that focuses on repair of BMWs. So, a guy posts a detailed description of how to change an alternator on a BMW X5 SUV. He says he didn't remove the battery cable first, because it's in the back and you have to remove the spare tire to get to it. So, he disconnected the cable and just tied it off with some string. It's still in the work area and he didn't even bother to put some tape on the big exposed ring terminal on the end. It's about half way down in the pics, after #7 in this thread:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/100940-diy-2006-x5-3-0i-ccv-overhaul.html
It would be bad enough if the alternator terminal was easily accessible, etc. But this one you can't see well, it's underneath, all kinds of stuff nearby.
And now I have two idiots claiming that I'm a troll for pointing out that this is not only very bad practice, but dangerous. IMO, that pic, that procedure belongs in the book showing really, really, dumb things. But these guys can't grasp the fact that you have a cable the size of your finger running direct to the battery.
trader_4 wrote:

Most BMW drivers are quite a bit show off crowd. I admired old Bimmers, not any more, they are all junk. Look at their SMG tranny with known issues. After 3 years they all start falling apart. You can find lots of 3-5 year old Bimmers in the market at a fraction of original price.
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 4:06:58 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

There are a lot of BMW fanatics over there. When parts fail on a BMW, like window regulators that almost never fail on other cars, they just salute the BMW flag, make silly excuses like "it's a performance car, what do you expect..." And if you say that it's not what you'd expect in a quality car, that Hondas costing less than half don't have the problem, they tell you that you shouldn't be a BMW owner. Great for BMW, keep shipping crap and the dumb owners don't care. If instead they told BMW that it was crap and they are pissed, maybe BMW would fix it.
Worst BMWs are the ones built in the 2000+ era with the V8. Unbelievable. Valve seals go at under 100K miles. I've seen many where they went at 75K. It's like a $4K repair. They leak oil from every possible seal and gasket. What makes no sense is that even lesser cost manufacturers have known how to build V8s for decades. And I don't see how oil seals equate to being a performance issue. Given the high failure rate on seals, CV boots, etc, it almost sounds like the vendor for their those parts is the CEOs brother in law....
trader_4 wrote:

filtercosts almost 100.00. Are they gold plated or really something special? My friends M5 is barely 3 years old with many bugging minor issues. A bolt costs 80.00 at the dealer. The car is now worth less than half the original price. His Volvo XC90 is same but with lesser degree. My family's Acura, Subaru just chug along giving good dependable service. Depreciate slower too.

In my experience people will spend $1000 to repair their BMW or Toyota or other "quality car" and not blink an eye. But if their Chevy or Ford needs a $250 repair they scream JUNK to everyone within earshot.
On 06/16/2015 09:37 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

True!
My favorite are the Apple iDiots that think nothing of tossing out their $500 iToys every few years when the battery is shot but bitch like school girls when their 15 year old refrigerator craps out.

You'll love this:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
nb --owns zero Apple prods ;)

have to ask how much they cost, you cannot afford them.
Anybody who drives an older one is either a hasbeen or a wannabe - or a mechanic (and not too bright at that)

I read that thread with interest, and you seemed to make the same fundamental mistake that is often made here: you tried to get the guy (a guy! with a BMW kind of guy to boot!) that he was wrong. Never going to happen. You made your point in your first one or two posts, and those readers with half an ounce of brains will read your posts and say to themselves "yeah, duh. I would do it trader4's way . . .". Your job was thus done at that point.

wrench is a different story!!!! It can virtually vaporize a small wrench and do a LOT of arc damage.

Fire in the hole! Battery catches fire and blows up. Acid everywhere. Money is saved?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*