OT Car repair

Page 4 of 4
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:44:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon

poisoning. It is not a fast or easy death - and criminal charges are no joke either if you get caught.

Both then and now, I don't think it hurts the ground or the grass much, but it's poisonous to dogs and cats, iirc. If we could only get the cats to drink it and somehow protect the dogs.
It's bad when the rain makes it run off into streams.

Modern coolant breaks down quickly in the environment. It's only dangerous when consumed by animals before it has a chance to break down.
Coolant tastes sweet, which is why it's attractive to animals.
--
Tegger

both air and soil is about 1 day. However, engine coolant (particularly old, used coolant) is more than just ethylene glycol and water. It contains additives (many of which, today, are organic acids) as well as heavy metals as the product of corrosion. The heavy metals don't break down - so it is a good idea to dispose of the stuff in a "responsible manner".