OT Car Key question

Page 4 of 4

Yup, was a brand new imported German car...
The cop was one of those cocky ones who thought he could handle anything...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 3:54 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I think he's been watching too much of "1000 Ways to Die" on Spike.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 3:54 am, "Stormin Mormon"

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/slimjim.asp
Add pictures here
✖
Very few vehicles made in the last 10 years or so can be opened with a slim jim. As for side airbags causing slim jims to be "launched" see for yourself and make up your own mind:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/slimjim.asp
http://www.towtimes.com/?p ’1
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/slim.htm

✖
On Sep 19, 4:53 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I wouldn't call what you do locksmithing Chris...
Advanced handymanery perhaps but not locksmithing...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:55:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Impossible.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 3:55 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I read what you post here and in other newsgroups...
You really don't know as much about locks as you think you do...
That isn't *just* *my* opinion Chris, there are others who used to actually post on alt.locksmithing that agree with the statement that you aren't very good at locksmithing...
The fact that your business has so many aspects to it and that you are doing so many different kinds of jobs really serves to back that statement up by your own actions... If you were a good locksmith there would be no need to do anything but that type of work...
Then when you factor in your idea of what constitutes a "joke" and what doesn't, it makes people wonder if you aren't accessing usenet during your library time at the mental facility...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

What exactly is that supposed to mean?
For years some auto manufacturers have covered the locking mechanism with a plastic cover. But, that doesn't mean that you can't open the door with a slim jim.

Many? Newer?
Can you provide a list of the "many newer" cars that have side impact bags inside of the front doors? Cause, I'm wondering if I got ripped off, since my '08 and '10 vehicles don't have them.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/18/2011 10:31 AM, Twayne wrote:

Around here, the dealers don't care to pay for the special machine, and to keep a trained operator. They job the chipped-key work out to the one real locksmith left in town, who does have the machine. Dealer gave me the secret number, and pointed me to the locksmith. I got two of the normal-sized keys, since the one chipped key that came with car was one of those huge things with the buttons, and the ring loop in wrong spot, so no male can keep it on a ring in pants pocket without it constantly jabbing him. What idiot thought that thing up? And I can't even get a normal separate fob for the car (05 Caravan), and only key holes are driver door and tailgate. I just leave it unlocked most of the time, unless I am in a real crappy area. The stuff in the car is cheaper to replace than the window glass anyway.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.
Add pictures here
✖

keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

If it's a GM key, a GM dealer (Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC Truck) might be able to tell you from the code numbers what it fits.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/15/2014 5:28 PM, Mairlyn Braly wrote:

Not sure about the black plastic. If memory serves, some time in the early eighties.
In 1986, they put resistor pellet (not a chip) in some of the GM models, Trans Am and Corvette. In later years, they put resistor pellet in keys for other models of vehicle.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Mairlyn Braly wrote:

Hi, Some does not have anything imbedded. Just blck plastic. No logo on it?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/15/14, 2:28 PM, Mairlyn Braly wrote:

Not sure about the year, but most (if not all) of those automotive 'immobilizers':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser
... employ RFID tags within key heads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification
Erik