OT Car Key question

Personal observation of a police officer's last day on the job when he was injured at the premises where I worked at the time, 12 years ago... In discussion of the incident later on after it was officially and thoroughly investigated by both the police department, the state labor authorities and OSHA it is one of the more common non-criminal accidental line-of-duty injuries that are suffered by law enforcement officers right behind "accidentally" driving off the road and falling down icy steps... It isn't going to be something that gets tons of publicity as it is more often than not a result of the officer's personal ignorance and lack of proper training that cause such self- inflicted "accidents"... Which is why police departments often do not possess the tools anymore and will gladly open a vehicle in an emergency situation by applying a baton or spring loaded punch tool to the least expensive panel of glass on the vehicle nowadays...

You would only really know about such accidents if you worked for OSHA, law enforcement or a towing company...

Not everything that happens to the police makes the news, especially the things which only happened because of a mistake made by the officer when the situation can be controlled...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I wouldn't call what you do locksmithing Chris...

Advanced handymanery perhaps but not locksmithing...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

12 yrs ago??? Yeah, OK.................
Reply to
Ron

I think he's been watching too much of "1000 Ways to Die" on Spike.

Reply to
Ron

Ron

Impossible.

Reply to
krw

Very few vehicles made in the last 10 years or so can be opened with a slim jim. As for side airbags causing slim jims to be "launched" see for yourself and make up your own mind:

Larry W

legroups.com...

I read what you post here and in other newsgroups...

You really don't know as much about locks as you think you do...

That isn't *just* *my* opinion Chris, there are others who used to actually post on alt.locksmithing that agree with the statement that you aren't very good at locksmithing...

The fact that your business has so many aspects to it and that you are doing so many different kinds of jobs really serves to back that statement up by your own actions... If you were a good locksmith there would be no need to do anything but that type of work...

Then when you factor in your idea of what constitutes a "joke" and what doesn't, it makes people wonder if you aren't accessing usenet during your library time at the mental facility...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Yup, was a brand new imported German car...

The cop was one of those cocky ones who thought he could handle anything...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

Reply to
Mairlyn Braly

Mairlyn Braly wrote in news:a7088754-cb9a-4402-8491- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

If it's a GM key, a GM dealer (Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC Truck) might be able to tell you from the code numbers what it fits.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not sure about the black plastic. If memory serves, some time in the early eighties.

In 1986, they put resistor pellet (not a chip) in some of the GM models, Trans Am and Corvette. In later years, they put resistor pellet in keys for other models of vehicle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Some does not have anything imbedded. Just blck plastic. No logo on it?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not sure about the year, but most (if not all) of those automotive 'immobilizers':

... employ RFID tags within key heads.

Erik

Reply to
Erik