OT Car Key question

Paid 1.99 at ACE hardware. You think it is chipped?

Reply to
LouB

It seems that no one, except a few, believe that there are some car keys that are not chipped. They must all be young and don't remember when a car key was just a key, and not a transmitter. I just had a spare house key made because mine broke in the front door lock after 27 years of use. In order to distinguish the house key from the others I carry, I bought one of those soft plastic rings that slip around the edge of the key head to identify it from the other keys. My front door is red, so I bought a red ring. There is no chip in it as far as I can tell. :-)

Reply to
willshak

True Story...

I locked myself out of the house years ago.

Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away, phoned my wife (at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key. I took a thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors and nail clippers.

After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into the key slot despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use something metal to turn the cylinder, but it worked!

I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but eventually threw it away.

Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left handed)!

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Ace is great for the chip keys. After they make it, they try it out on your car, if it works you pay for it, if it fails to start the car then there is no charge.

Reply to
RickH

Sometimes proudly, sometimes with regret, but, yes, they are all beginning to be older memories.

Reply to
DanG

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It must vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly brand too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s in your area.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Do they have the computer to program the car's computer? Mine requires two good keys to program a third. If two aren't available a dealer is required.

Reply to
krw

Mine were $15 and $30 (different dealers - same key).

Reply to
krw

Depends on the brand. I've heard very high prices, well over $100 from a dealer for some brands. My key is $2 at any key place as it has no chips, sirens, passport photos, etc.

A few years back, my boss went to Europe and took his key with him. His wife used his car and locked the keys inside and the fob did not work. No one would use a slim-jim because of all the electronics, wires and switches buried in the door.

A local locksmith could make a door key if he had the code. We called the dealer and they would not give the code since we were not the owner. After about 30 minutes, I was able to convince him to call the locksmith and they gave him the code. It was about a 2 hour project from when she first called me for help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Around here, the dealers don't care to pay for the special machine, and to keep a trained operator. They job the chipped-key work out to the one real locksmith left in town, who does have the machine. Dealer gave me the secret number, and pointed me to the locksmith. I got two of the normal-sized keys, since the one chipped key that came with car was one of those huge things with the buttons, and the ring loop in wrong spot, so no male can keep it on a ring in pants pocket without it constantly jabbing him. What idiot thought that thing up? And I can't even get a normal separate fob for the car (05 Caravan), and only key holes are driver door and tailgate. I just leave it unlocked most of the time, unless I am in a real crappy area. The stuff in the car is cheaper to replace than the window glass anyway.

Reply to
aemeijers

willshak wrote in news:CP6dndyQdMUZiOjTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

No,it's that the cars made before around 1998 are "chipless",no inherent security system built into their EFI,and -most- of those cars are in the junkyards now. I chopped the black plastic cap off my 94 Integra's valet key so it would fit in my wallet as an emergency key.It had no RFID or resistor chip. But it's wiser to treat a capped key as having some sort of chip for security,as those are much more common these days,UNLESS you specifically KNOW it's not chipped. (RTFM;owner's manuals are your friend.) Unfortunately,my Integra GS-R was STOLEN in 2007(stripped and torched,a total loss),and if it had had a chipped EFI system,they would not have gotten it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ned Flanders wrote in news:A29dq.22261$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.iad:

you were lucky,because most scanners and copiers do not copy to exact size.

I could pick my apartment door's lock. A couple of "bobby pins"....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I expected that when I went to Ace Hardware to get a third key. Instead, they cloned one of the original keys. Evidently the original idea was that each key have a unique RFID code, and an ordinary person could, with the two previously programmed keys, program the car's computer to accept a third uniquely addressed key.

Reply to
Bob

Interesting. I thought the code was supposed to thwart a "copied key" attack.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit...

The 2 or 3 day wait is because the car dealership makes it a low priority call with the locksmith in the area that can originate and program the high security auto keys... This saves the dealership money on the side job and lets them make a higher profit...

Most dealerships don't have the $25,000 key machine required to originate newer auto keys -- that is the ONLY limitation...

But the dealership has the necessary programming code for the vehicle computer, the key blanks and often the bitting code for the cuts on the key... Just not the machine which costs more than some of the cars to cut them on...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

A dealer is needed to obtain the PIN code for the vehicles on board computer, anyone with the expensive ODBII programming tool can program the car's computer once they have the PIN code and a properly cut compatible transponder key...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Ed:

Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a modern car because the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them and many newer cars also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can fire if they are shorted out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...

Ever see what a guy looks like with an airbag launched slim jim sliced into his neck ?

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Cite, please.

Reply to
willshak

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

For years some auto manufacturers have covered the locking mechanism with a plastic cover. But, that doesn't mean that you can't open the door with a slim jim.

can fire if they are shorted out by someone who hasn't clue one > what they= are doing...

Many? Newer?

Can you provide a list of the "many newer" cars that have side impact bags inside of the front doors? Cause, I'm wondering if I got ripped off, since my '08 and '10 vehicles don't have them.

Reply to
Ron

Don't hold your breath.

Reply to