OT Car Key question

Page 3 of 4
LouB wrote the following:

I would say just soften it with heat from a hair blower of by holding it over a flame. If you f**k it up, buy a new key without the plastic. I got my spare unchipped car key at WalMart. It is in my wallet.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that enables your car to start. without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not start. If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can make you a blank that has no chip or plastic "cap",even "credit card" ones that will fit in your wallet.
Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not destroy it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My son works at a Ford dealership prepping cars. Mom wants a key made for her 2010 Focus. Son asks about it. With his employee discount, they can do it for $80. But they need to keep the car for a day or 2 while the key is ordered from someplace. They tell him that the security level is so high on these things they can't even make a chipped key at the dealer level.
So my wife goes to Ace hardware & has it made in 10 minutes for $50.
Oh well--
Jim

Ace is great for the chip keys. After they make it, they try it out on your car, if it works you pay for it, if it fails to start the car then there is no charge.
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:34:54 -0700 (PDT), RickH

Do they have the computer to program the car's computer? Mine requires two good keys to program a third. If two aren't available a dealer is required.
On 9/18/2011 08:27, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I expected that when I went to Ace Hardware to get a third key. Instead, they cloned one of the original keys. Evidently the original idea was that each key have a unique RFID code, and an ordinary person could, with the two previously programmed keys, program the car's computer to accept a third uniquely addressed key.

Interesting. I thought the code was supposed to thwart a "copied key" attack.
On Sep 18, 11:27am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

A dealer is needed to obtain the PIN code for the vehicles on board computer, anyone with the expensive ODBII programming tool can program the car's computer once they have the PIN code and a properly cut compatible transponder key... ~~ Evan

Bullshit...
The 2 or 3 day wait is because the car dealership makes it a low priority call with the locksmith in the area that can originate and program the high security auto keys... This saves the dealership money on the side job and lets them make a higher profit...
Most dealerships don't have the $25,000 key machine required to originate newer auto keys -- that is the ONLY limitation...
But the dealership has the necessary programming code for the vehicle computer, the key blanks and often the bitting code for the cuts on the key... Just not the machine which costs more than some of the cars to cut them on...
~~ Evan
Jim Yanik wrote the following:

It has been established that the OP's key does not contain a chip. Keys that do not contain a chip can be used to both unlock the doors and start the car, like they used to before the gummint and insurance companies got involved. My 14 year old truck requires no chipped key to start. It does have remote keyless entry, but only because I installed an aftermarket kit myself. Afterwards, I did lock the keys and remote in it one time and had to call the wife to bring the spare keys from home. I then had a spare key made to keep in my wallet.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Jim Yanik wrote:

In typed:

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It must vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly brand too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s in your area.
HTH,
Twayne`

Mine were $15 and $30 (different dealers - same key).
typed:

Depends on the brand. I've heard very high prices, well over $100 from a dealer for some brands. My key is $2 at any key place as it has no chips, sirens, passport photos, etc.
A few years back, my boss went to Europe and took his key with him. His wife used his car and locked the keys inside and the fob did not work. No one would use a slim-jim because of all the electronics, wires and switches buried in the door.
A local locksmith could make a door key if he had the code. We called the dealer and they would not give the code since we were not the owner. After about 30 minutes, I was able to convince him to call the locksmith and they gave him the code. It was about a 2 hour project from when she first called me for help.

Ed:
Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a modern car because the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them and many newer cars also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can fire if they are shorted out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...
Ever see what a guy looks like with an airbag launched slim jim sliced into his neck ?
~~ Evan
Evan wrote the following:

Cite, please.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Don't hold your breath.

Personal observation of a police officer's last day on the job when he was injured at the premises where I worked at the time, 12 years ago... In discussion of the incident later on after it was officially and thoroughly investigated by both the police department, the state labor authorities and OSHA it is one of the more common non-criminal accidental line-of-duty injuries that are suffered by law enforcement officers right behind "accidentally" driving off the road and falling down icy steps... It isn't going to be something that gets tons of publicity as it is more often than not a result of the officer's personal ignorance and lack of proper training that cause such self- inflicted "accidents"... Which is why police departments often do not possess the tools anymore and will gladly open a vehicle in an emergency situation by applying a baton or spring loaded punch tool to the least expensive panel of glass on the vehicle nowadays...
You would only really know about such accidents if you worked for OSHA, law enforcement or a towing company...
Not everything that happens to the police makes the news, especially the things which only happened because of a mistake made by the officer when the situation can be controlled...
~~ Evan

12 yrs ago??? Yeah, OK.................