OT Car Key question

Page 2 of 4
dadiOH wrote:

Not all burn. Bakelite, for example, is thermoSETTING. The hotter it gets, the more consistent it becomes. It's possible to turn a Bakelite ashtray into one big, honkin', molecule! Oh, it will eventually char and disintegrate, but burn? Nope.
Polystyrene peanuts won't support combustion either - they WILL flame a little bit, but are self extinguishing.
There's more than two dozen plastics, each with differing burn and burn-retardant characteristics.
HeyBub wrote:

Disintegration - in this case - works too. :)

Will they melt? Melting - in this case - could work too :) #2
--

dadiOH
____________________________

A propane torch.

Why?
Earl wrote:

No chip in the key. $1.99 at Ace Hardware. Had a key made the other day and it opens the door and started the car no problem.
Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.
Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Andy comments: I'd drop it in a small pot of boiling water, fish it out with some pliers (or some method), and see if it is soft enough to scrape off with a knife........ If there is no hole in the metal to fasten it with, you might have to drill a hole....
If the pot of water (212F) doesn't work, heat up the oven to 400F and put the key in for a few minutes, setting it on a piece of aluminum foil so it won't make a mess if it melts.... If possible have the key held so the plastic part is on the bottom so if it runs it won't drip over the metal part and bugger up the key part....
Just some suggestions..... Good luck.
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Andy wrote:

Thanks
LouB wrote:

I'd start off with a razor knive and shave down one of the skinny sides until there was metal, then peel the rest of the plastic off. You could probably achieve the same thing with a well-sharpened chisel.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Damn stuff is hard. Will try heat.
On 9/16/2011 7:27 AM, LouB wrote:

Plastic may also be soluble in acetone or nail polish remover.
LouB wrote:

If you can shave off a sliver, you can shave off two slivers. Do that enough times and you'll be at metal.
Jon

I'd go back to Walmart and have another key made with one of their 'wallet blanks'.
I think it was Walmart- maybe Ace hardware? check around.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Key came from Ace hardware.

For emergency only, to open the car door -- does not start engine -- in case you have locked your keys in the ignition, get a plastic key made at the Auto Club. Fits in your wallet.
(Don't ask how many times I have done it. The winner was TWICE in one day, in the rain, with the engine running...)
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

True Story...
I locked myself out of the house years ago.
Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away, phoned my wife (at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key. I took a thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors and nail clippers.
After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into the key slot despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use something metal to turn the cylinder, but it worked!
I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but eventually threw it away.
Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left handed)!

you were lucky,because most scanners and copiers do not copy to exact size.

I could pick my apartment door's lock. A couple of "bobby pins"....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Could the supplier of your spare key not tell you whether the plastic cap is functional or not?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

I know it is NOT
LouB wrote the following:

It seems that no one, except a few, believe that there are some car keys that are not chipped. They must all be young and don't remember when a car key was just a key, and not a transmitter. I just had a spare house key made because mine broke in the front door lock after 27 years of use. In order to distinguish the house key from the others I carry, I bought one of those soft plastic rings that slip around the edge of the key head to identify it from the other keys. My front door is red, so I bought a red ring. There is no chip in it as far as I can tell. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No,it's that the cars made before around 1998 are "chipless",no inherent security system built into their EFI,and -most- of those cars are in the junkyards now. I chopped the black plastic cap off my 94 Integra's valet key so it would fit in my wallet as an emergency key.It had no RFID or resistor chip. But it's wiser to treat a capped key as having some sort of chip for security,as those are much more common these days,UNLESS you specifically KNOW it's not chipped. (RTFM;owner's manuals are your friend.) Unfortunately,my Integra GS-R was STOLEN in 2007(stripped and torched,a total loss),and if it had had a chipped EFI system,they would not have gotten it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik