OT Car Key question

Page 1 of 4
Just got a spare key for my car. The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end. Is there an easy way to get the thing off?
Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?
LouB wrote:

If the car is bewer model the plastic handle may contain a chip. Make sure that is not the case. Cjip embedded spare key costs ~100.00(you get a blank key with chip and have it cut for your car)
Tony Hwang wrote:

No chip in the key. $1.99 at Ace Hardware. Had a key made the other day and it opens the door and started the car no problem.
Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.
Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything. There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I ALREADY have the key
On 9/16/2011 7:26 AM, LouB wrote:

You're missing the point totally. Get another one made *from a plain metal blank* that doesn't have the plastic shroud on it.
Doug Miller wrote:

And what if the blank is not made as plain metal (which it is not)??? There are not a lot of makers of car key blanks.
On 9/17/2011 7:48 AM, LouB wrote:

Then find one that *is*. Sheesh. How did you ever reach adulthood?

NO SHIT! I know that. Get one with no plastic. Try a locksmith. You should have a plain key made instead of buggering up the original key. Once you take the plastic off, there may not be enough metal left to turn the key one inserted in the lock. I don't know for sure, but for two bucks, why take a chance? Do what you want, but there is an easier way if you stop and listen to what people here say.
Put a torch to it and bur the crap off. I don't give a damn what you do.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Than why did you reply??
On 9/16/2011 5:13 AM, LouB wrote:

worth of time trying to figure out how to get the plastic off. Pay the man at the hardware store, and be done with it.
On 9/16/2011 5:13 AM, LouB wrote:

version of the security chip in it. What brand and year is your car?
But as to how to get a naked key- go someplace else and pay another 2 bucks. Just ask them to show you the blank before they cut the key. It ain't worth the work to carve/grind off. You may not like the shape of the key head under the plastic- they are often pointy, so as to keep the plastic shell on the key.
--
aem sends...

Ace hardware made me a chip key for about $70 here.
Because the new spare key is fat and "literally" a pain in the ass to store in my wallet... I hid my spare key on the vehicle itself in a place that would require a screwdriver to find it. I figure if I lose my keys I can always borrow/buy a screwdriver someplace to get at the spare.

If it is a plain key, not transponders or embedded chips, just get another copy made at the locksmith for about $2.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No chip in the key. $1.99 at Ace Hardware. Had a key made the other day and it opens the door and started the car no problem.
Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.
Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?
LouB wrote:

Most plastics break...tried whacking it with a hammer?
All plastics - AFAIK - burn. Use a propane torch.
--

dadiOH
On 9/16/2011 6:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:

It is getting to be an old memory, but I took one of those off several years ago. I used a good sharp wood chisel. The plastic is VERY tough and tightly bonded to the metal. Make sure you don't get your fingers ahead of a sharp chisel in motion. It seems to me I stood the key on the ring end on a scrap wood block and used a hammer and good wood chisel to slice down one side. The other side was much easier, but it did not just fall off.
DanG wrote:

Thanks

Aren't they all getting to be old memories, Dan? ;)
On 9/16/2011 9:44 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Sometimes proudly, sometimes with regret, but, yes, they are all beginning to be older memories.