OT: car emergency tool kit

With the exception of the Hersey bars, it was a direct quote from Dr. Strangelove.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hersheys Tropical bars would deal with this problem, but I have no idea if they still make them.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

I hope they catch the asshole that vandalized the locked gate, so that poor family never knew it wasn't safe to go down that road!

Wonder how much investigative time and money will go into that search. Don't hold your breath!

Reply to
aspasia

Aw, how sweet it is! Should have remembered...one of my all-time favorites, Must have seen it 10-12 times. Anybody who hasn't, run, do not walk, to rent film or borrow from your library!!!!

"We'll meet again..."

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I imagine it was a local who used that road all the time with an appropriate vehicle and better judgement about the weather. I bet they still drove past a sign saying this road is closed in the winter.

Reply to
gfretwell

[...snipped...]

"Handmaiden" my foot! Aspasia was the CONSORT of Pericles! She would not accept one of the only two possible roles of a female in

5th Century BCE Athens: Matrons; stay home and make babies, or Heterae - entertain the guys) *

*The formation of the city-state in ancient society, coincident with the growth of trade and money, gave new desires to that portion of society released from care by the labor of the slaves. Supported by the luxury loving master class, certain women, the heterae, were able to rise far above the average and to give a glamorous foretaste of the intellectual possibilities of womanhood. It was under the stimulus of the heterae that art and poetry and science were developed in classic Greece." From:

Aspasia, however, an educated and strong woman, chose to be neither a baby-factory nor an entertainer of men. Supported by the powerful soldier-statesman Pericles, she proudly took her place in public life

-- unheard of in the "phallic" society of her time.**

**Yes, there IS a book called "The Phallic Society" about the "Golden Age" of Athens.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

[...]

Someone else pointed out that it came from "Dr.Strangelove" which reflected the Cold War mentality. Gen. Buck Turgidson, as well as Major T. J. "King" Kong" would have been officers in WW II

Couldn't access site, but in general...

Hmmm...guess I bit again. Not totally lacking a sense of humour, but allergic to tacky male jokes.

Interesting new article by Christopher Hitchens in Vanity Fair on the subject of male/female sense of humour.

Aspasia [...]

Reply to
aspasia