OT: car emergency tool kit

Page 4 of 4

Jason Killen wrote: ...

If you're actually broken-down stuck, w/ most vehicles these days, there's probably not a heck of a lot you're going to be able to do on the roadside to get it going again. There are a couple of things, though...
Keep a spare serpentine belt and the proper tool to change it -- typically a square drive breakover handle.
Duct and/or electrical tape can hold together a radiator or heater hose long enough often to get to help.
Make sure you've got enough of a jack and handle and wrench to change a tire -- many of the supplied ones are barely adequate in a heated garage, what more by the side of the road at night in the cold and wet...
Good flashlight/spare batteries.
Flares, reflective warnings, "Call help" windshield sign...
Depending on area traveling, time of year, etc., proper weather gear, water, food, snow/ice gear/chains, etc., etc., ...
Cell phone, charger, etc., ... if remote/rugged area like the Oregon family, may not be of much use so don't count on it as only survival tool, though. Corollary -- don't get lost or try "less-traveled" routes in winter.

If one ties a white rag to the door handle or the car antenna, passers-by are supposed to call for help for you. Lacking a white rag, I think any rag would do.
Does anyone still know that?
Have the makers of signs convinced people that they must have a sign to get help?
Being a some what organized person, I'd be thinking like this:
a: What are the likely problems? b: How can you avoid problems? c: What are your skills? d: What tools and parts do you need to do the likely repairs?
As to myself: a) Flat tire, out of gas, neglected filters, dead battery, assorted breakdowns. b) Better preventive maint c) Assorted repairs d) compressor, fix a flat, spare wheel, j ack, lug wrenches, gascan, assorted hand tools, battery jumper pack.
I like your list of tools. I also include a VOM, and a breaker bar and a socket set for busting loose lugs, or turning a serpentine belt adjuster. I also always have cell phone, flashlight, maps, compass. Oh, compass is essential. I have got lost a couple times when I knew full well I'd be home if I went North and then West.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Get the socket set, and a cheater bar. A good set of wire-cutters. jumper cables. A tire-pump that plugs into the lighter. An empty fuel can. Flashlight, tape. -------------------- A box containing repackaged Oil, Antifreeze, water. (I recommend re-packaging everything 20-oz soda bottle, because they don't leak as much as oil bottle do.) --------------------- A good hat, and gloves, because freezing makes you stupid. If you have room, 50' of 1/2" woven nylon rope, a fire blanket, Flares/signal panels. A small spade. (you can move snow with a spade. you can't move dirt with a snow-shovel.) ==========================================Also consider an emergency kit that will keep you alive if you can't fix the car. In fact, put that together first.

I lived in the Adirondack Mountains, Saranac Lake, NY. It was suggested to keep candles in the vehicle and burn them for warmth. No way to work on a car in Winter.
I live in the desert now and one thing suggested is to set your spare tire on fire as it will send an alert of smoke. Plenty of water; per person.
-- Oren
My grand parents used to live on Bloomingdale Road. They are now burried just east of there -- also on Bloomingdale Rd (route 3).
Yes, candles are a good idea. And some copper wire to fashion a candle holder to hang the candle from the miror so it is at least some what safe.
Lighting up the tire didn't do much for the guy in Oregon. He shoulda stayed on the main road.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Burning the spare tire didn't help, but they had four others to try on different days.