OT: car emergency tool kit

Page 2 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That GPS information is only good if you can supply the information to someone else. Apparently, they did not have a working cell phone, or were in a dead zone, and were unable to call for help and give their location. It would seem awfully strange that someone working for Cnet did not have a cell phone. My cell phone has GPS capability. It will give me the lat. and long. coordinates of my phone. Giving that info to rescuers will lead them right to me, if my phone was working, that is.
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Willshak wrote:

When you're in unfamiliar territory, a mapping GPS can give you an idea where you're most likely to find other people by telling you about towns and/or major intersections. It's also been alleged that the guy in question tracked a semicircular route, which would have been much less likely if he had been carrying a GPS. The fact that you can't tell anyone where you are doesn't make it useless for you to know where you are.
--
Asking Iran and Syria to help us succeed in Iraq is like your local fire
department asking a couple of arsonists to help put out the fire.

I hope they catch the asshole that vandalized the locked gate, so that poor family never knew it wasn't safe to go down that road!
Wonder how much investigative time and money will go into that search. Don't hold your breath!
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:59:31 -0800, aspasia wrote:

I imagine it was a local who used that road all the time with an appropriate vehicle and better judgement about the weather. I bet they still drove past a sign saying this road is closed in the winter.
Jason Killen wrote:

Actually, the original script had "Dallas" instead of "Vegas." Considering Major T.J. "King" Kong's apparent background, Dallas was appropriate. The movie, however, came on the heels of the Kennedy assasination and a last-minute change was made to the words.
wrote: ....

Three Hershey bars.

Only in cool to cold weather. 48 oz of chocolate sludge melted all over your socket-set isn't going to help anyone but the ants.

Hersheys Tropical bars would deal with this problem, but I have no idea if they still make them.
Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
mm wrote:

Two turtle doves, and a parrrrrtridge in a pearrrrr treeeeeeeeeeeee!
--
Asking Iran and Syria to help us succeed in Iraq is like your local fire
department asking a couple of arsonists to help put out the fire.

You must be younger than I am. Nylon stockings, Hershey bars, and probably lipstick were how GI's made friends with the girls** during WWII. **girls in their late teens and 20's.

With the exception of the Hersey bars, it was a direct quote from Dr. Strangelove.
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:46:01 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Aw, how sweet it is! Should have remembered...one of my all-time favorites, Must have seen it 10-12 times. Anybody who hasn't, run, do not walk, to rent film or borrow from your library!!!!
"We'll meet again..."
Aspasia
Enough booze to make everyting go smootly

The tool you need is the one you won't have. :-)
1) Multihead screwdriver: Even the best of these (like the one from Snap-On) will sometimes have trouble with situations where you really need to put some major force on the head of a screw. Watch out for cheap ones. And, even if you buy a really good one, make sure you have extra magnetic tips. I'd still keep a regular #2 Phillips screwdriver in the car, and a GOOD one.
2) About the tips: Take a really good look at some typical screws in your car and make sure you really have the right screwdriver tips. I don't know if GM still uses Pozidrive screws (look halfway down this page: http://www.sizes.com/tools/screw_drive.htm ). If they do, and you own a GM vehicle, be aware that a regular Phillips driver can wreck a Pozidrive screw head very quickly, making it impossible to remove with the tools you have on hand. Torx head screws are also common in some vehicles. Don't buy full sets of these little things - just get the ones you see used in your car.
3) Are you able to get under your vehicle without jacking it up? If not, don't bother carrying tools for working on anything under the vehicle because you'd be dumb to work under a jacked car. Call a tow truck.
4) A socket set may be more useful than a multi-head screwdriver, since you can get sockets which not only handle bolt heads, but also normal screws. For example: <http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID 74&group_ID2&store=snapon-store&dirtalog> Pair this with a screwdriver-type handle, and you've got a lot of versatility: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_IDu736&group_ID 0&store=snapon-store&dirtalog
Consider what you are actually likely to try fixing, and focus on that. You should also do a test run with the tool that (theoretically) removes your wheel lug nuts. Sometimes, the ones that come with the car are pathetic.
message

versatility:http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_IDu736&g ...
Good point with the multi headed screwdriver. Might be nice to have a flat head with a wide head too.
I've been trying to remember what I've ever fixed on the side of the road. Once I replaced a battery and once cut the end off the top hose of the radiator where there was a leak. That reminds me, a razor blade might come in handy.

Not a razor blade. Too flimsy, too hard to hold, too easy to hack the fuck out of your finger with it, and then you'll wonder why there's only one package of gauze and no large butterfly bandages in the first aid kit. :-)
Get a good folding knife, get it scary sharp, and don't use it for anything else.

You would find it faster to check lists already published e.g. in AAA magazines. E.g. the first essential is a flashlight (unless you drive only in daytime.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Jason Killen wrote:

Because there are very few mechanical problems I think I could fix , my toolkit is:
hammer, screwdriver set, pliers,
duct tape, muffler bandage, heavy wire
4 x 8" thin rubber and large hose clamps for temporary hose repair
flares, reflector sign , flashlight
oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid , antifreeze mixed
blankets, coveralls, chemical heat packs (pocket warmers)
My main concern is winter driving and staying warm while waiting for help to arrive , or while waiting to hitch a ride.
On 7 Dec 2006 10:09:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I still don't know what people would do with a hammer. I don't use pliers much either.

All of these others are good, although because the darn LeBaron trunk is so small, I had to stop carrying some of them.
In 1967, I was driving from Chicago to Montreal and the guy in Canada checked my oil and said I didn't need any. About 3 in the morning, miles from anyplace -- the sky was so clear and there was no ambient light from any place on earth, that I could see more stars than any other time in my life -- I saw the oil gauge dipping to the bottom every 20 seconds. I had two riders and a '50 Olds, and didn't know whether to just stay there until daylight when I could hitchhike some place to buy oil, or drive on. I drove and it was only about 40 or 100 miles to a gas station, and I didn't do any damage to theengine, but I've carried two quarts of oil for the last 40 years because of this. One quart of transmission fluid usually.

On the car, not much, but the car is frequently nearby when you want a basic toolkit for something else.