OT: car emergency tool kit

Page 1 of 4

This is kinda off topic but I can't think of a better place to ask it. I was thinking about making up a car emergency tool kit. I'm having trouble thinking up what would actually be useful when stuck on the side of the road. One of those jumper/tire pump things could be very useful but what else might one really need. I could include a socket set and such but it's not like I've got a car parts store in the trunk so I'm not sure I would ever find a reason to use them. So here is what I have so far:
hammer, to wack stuff multihead screwdriver, to screw stuff up or down vice grips, to grab stuff pliers, to hold stuff needle nose pliers, to get into small areas
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Jason Killen wrote:

Battery charger. Duct tape. Water. Oil. Work gloves. Funnel. Small plastic tarp for getting under car. Small shovel. First aid kit. Blanket. Snacks. Drinking water. Reflective plastic heat blankets. Cell phone charger.
Norminn wrote:

Rope (sufficient strength for towing). Sealed can of gas with stabilizer. Shotgun. Hand axe. Carpet samples (for traction in mud). Fuses (both kinds: electrical and flares). Aerial flares. Soap and/or hand-cleaning gel. Battery-operated radio. Flashlight with spare batteries. Binoculars. Clean shirt. .45 caliber automatic with two boxes ammunition Four days concentrated emergency rations. One drug issue: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills. One miniature combination Russia phrase book and Bible. One hundred dollars in rubles. One hundred dollars in gold. Nine packs of chewing gum. One issue of prophylactics. Three lipsticks. Three pair nylon stockings.

A guy could have a nice weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

A good list with many useful items and a few tongue-in-cheek.
Nylons, lipsticks, rubles, Russian phrase book, chewing gum (and prophylactics) come straight out of WWII, when those items were used as currency.
Instead of Russian phrase book, consider Arabic.
All lists made by and for males. No items needed by females.
QED
aspasia wrote:

Lipsticks? Nylons? Gold? Soap? Tranqulizers? Sounds pretty distaff to me.
And the (bottom part of the) list did not come from WWII; more recent than that (1964).

I didn't write this.

No. Those items were used by males to buy females from defeated nations in WWII Europe.
Their inclusion in the list is outdated. Maybe it's all a joke? It must be, since list doesn't include a basic first aid kit.
Females might need toilet paper, sanitary products, towels, and cleansing products.
In addition to the male "clean shirt" it might be nice to include spare garment(s) for females as well.
Most women carry comb, lipstick, compact, etc. in their purse anyway.
Nylons would be nice to replace fan belts, however, which do not appear on the above list.

Which doesn't mean (a) that it wasn't copied from WW II lore and (b) wasn't prepared by a well-intentioned male.
Cell phones should be a given in this day & age.
Some drinking water would be a welcome addition to the four days' rations.
Also radiator water and anti-freeze might come in handy.
aspasia wrote:
Dear handmaiden of Pericles, please see imbedded comments:

Is there one woman - anywhere - who doesn't want lipstick, nylons, gold, soap, or tranquilizers? And, aside from the gold, is there a man that does?

Not a "joke." The official name is "parody."

Real men don't need piddly bandages. They don't have time to bleed.

They might "want" them, but need? Nah. Just like watches (there's a clock on the stove).

Some claim women do their best work sans garments.

The list was not copied from WW II lore nor was the list was prepared by a well-intentioned male.
God save us from the wrath of the northmen and protect us from females without a sense of humor. Here's one: http://mosnews.com/news/2006/12/07/bashkkilling.shtml
Back to the list, however. Please check:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/quotes
Search for "nylon" to see the above list in context.

[...snipped...]
"Handmaiden" my foot! Aspasia was the CONSORT of Pericles! She would not accept one of the only two possible roles of a female in 5th Century BCE Athens: Matrons; stay home and make babies, or Heterae - entertain the guys) *
*The formation of the city-state in ancient society, coincident with the growth of trade and money, gave new desires to that portion of society released from care by the labor of the slaves. Supported by the luxury loving master class, certain women, the heterae, were able to rise far above the average and to give a glamorous foretaste of the intellectual possibilities of womanhood. It was under the stimulus of the heterae that art and poetry and science were developed in classic Greece." From: http://www.weisbord.org/Feminism.htm
Aspasia, however, an educated and strong woman, chose to be neither a baby-factory nor an entertainer of men. Supported by the powerful soldier-statesman Pericles, she proudly took her place in public life -- unheard of in the "phallic" society of her time.**
**Yes, there IS a book called "The Phallic Society" about the "Golden Age" of Athens.
Aspasia

[...]
Someone else pointed out that it came from "Dr.Strangelove" which reflected the Cold War mentality. Gen. Buck Turgidson, as well as Major T. J. "King" Kong" would have been officers in WW II

Couldn't access site, but in general...
Hmmm...guess I bit again. Not totally lacking a sense of humour, but allergic to tacky male jokes.
Interesting new article by Christopher Hitchens in Vanity Fair on the subject of male/female sense of humour.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701
Aspasia [...]
clipped

Wrong, again and again and again. YOU didn't stop and ask for directions. I want the reflective blanket to keep me toasty warm while YOU walk to the next town for help. :o)
The best 5 bucks I ever spent for emergencies was on a tire patch kit. One of the ones with self-vulcanizing rubber strips and a big sewing needle with a handle to push them in the hole. (It's nice to have a pair of pliers to remove the nail/screw too). Usually, if you notice a leak before it gets too low to drive on, you can patch it on the side of the road faster than you can change the tire, go fill up with air (an air pump would be nice too) and not have to worry about it again.
I keep one of these in each car...whether it runs or not. :)
I also like to keep a coat hanger or large nylon wire ties for things like supending a dropped exhaust. I haven't needed this myself since I started carying it, but I've helped out a few other people.
GPS navigation system......
this single item is probablyt the best bucks i ever spent.......
works in car or on foot, would have prevented that disaster whewre the 2 kids and mom survived while dad died trying to go for help
How do you figure that? They had no cell phone nor ham nor CB. Maybe they coulda got their exit instead of going past the exit?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Cell and CB, whenever traveling away from streetlights and road signs. In isolated areas like pacific NW has scattered all over, a disposable Very (sp?) pistol might not be a bad idea, aside from the chance of starting forest fires. A red star shell gets a lot of attention, as long as it gets above the horizon of a potential rescuer.
aem senfds...

Actually, they had 3 cell phones. They were too far from a service area to make a call. However, some cell company engineers did eventually sniff some traces of their *attempted* calls which ultimately led to rescue of the mom and two kids.

you can buy a external cell phone yagi antenna, for well under 50 bucks it will provide service in far away locations. if the cell system detected these failed calls they would of gone thru fine with a yagi.
I helped a friend with a cottage in a no service area, with that yagi he gets 4 bars:) but is terthered to a cable when usiung the phone. nice al;l cell phones ave a standard jack, under one of those small plastic covers on your phone.
Anyone who has used a GPS navigation system like a garmin street pilot KNOWS its way better than a compass. One day they will be mandated in all new cars for safety!
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:32:48 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

I think they did have a cellphone. That's how they eventually found them.
And you never go past your exit? Show a little compassion for a dead man and his widow and orphans.
And there was supposed to be a closed, locked gate on the road they took, but vandals had cut off the lock.

I like my compass.

Children are being taught to sit down; if lost, and not wonder away. I wish this dad would have stayed with his broke-down car.
-- Oren

Me too. I don't want GPS. The odds on getting lost and suffering a permanent injury because of it are very low.
If I had to go to clients all the time, and was short of time, a GPS might be necessary for work. But probably not. I find reading the map and finding a place to be one of the most fun things I do.
Sometimes I eschew the map, even. Went to a party in Atlanta, had looked at the map on the way from the airport before I got to the party. Then I decided to find my hotel without looking at the map again. Just headed northwest, and then north, and then a bit northeast, and I found it. It was great.

He did for 3 or 4 days. It would be difficult to know what to do after that long a period.
By checking his tracks in the snow, it turned out that he walked 10 miles in a circle however, and died only a mile from his car.