OT -- car door locks need lubrication

Page 3 of 5
Radiator antifreeze works great for preventing things like locks and snow thrower chute cables from freezing. Just put some antifreeze in a syringe and shoot up.

The first can I got was a free sample. Can't remember where and when but it was before I got my mechanics licence in Dec 1971 - Likely at a Texaco sponsored service station training meeting. For years the stuff was not readily available on Canadian shelves. Haven't bought a can for YEARS..
"Ed's Red" is a pretty good mix 1 part Dexron 1 part Varsol (stoddard solvent) 1 part Acetone Optional (and recommended) 1 lb anhydrous Lanolin per gallon.
It was originally a "bore cleaner" for guns but makes a pretty good penetrating fluid.
On 11/8/14, 9:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

CRC's closest replacement seems to be Power Lube. Their best penetrating oil seems to be Freeze Off. It cools the material to help it wick the solvent. Amazon reviewers say it works when nothing else will. One reviewer wasn't satisfied. He still had to get a breaker bar and a pipe to remove overtorqued lug nuts. :)

It makes pretty good dry cleaning fluid too, to remove grease stains from clothes. Be careful on synthetics.

Howzabout you morons buying a can of graphite suspended in a solvent. Napa auto stores carries 'em. Douche yer locks with the graphite/solvent, then wait for the solvent to evaporate. No more frozen locks. And yes, it gets cold, here. I've seen my locks work fine at 30 deg F below zero. That's 50 deg F below freezing.
nb
notbob wrote:

Uh, isn't that 62 degrees below freezing?
Who is the moron now?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 11/25/2014 7:05 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I may print that one out. Much too good.

Used to do that with some throttle cables back in the "early yeaes" of cable operated automotive throttles.

That's exactly what "lock ease" is.

NOW you tell me!
notbob wrote:

Sorry, when the lock mechanism fills with water and it freezes, the lock doesn't work. It's raining now and will freeze tonight. I bet when I go out to the shed in a few minutes and pop the cap off the Ace 'weatherproof' lock water will run out. Graphite, Tru-Flow, BreakFree, WD-40, doesn''t make a difference.
On 11/9/2014 4:32 PM, rbowman wrote:

I've seen folks who cut part of inner tube, and make a flap that covers the entire lock. Bet you've done that?

LIke I knew that, (M)Oren.

Well, duh!!
My guess would be, you should prevent the water from getting into the lock in the first place. Much to my amusement, this is one time a small piece of duct tape jes might actually solve yer problem. ;)
nb

Chunk of innertube over the lock to keep water off of it does work, though.
On 11/9/2014 5:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote a minute ago: > I've seen folks who cut part of inner tube, > and make a flap that covers the entire lock. > Bet you've done that?
- .. Christopher A. Young ..
Clare typed:

> keep water off of it does work,

Stormy quoted: "now that you have read everything before doing any thing...."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, that's my next step. No reason to rush into things an weatherproof the lock in August.
Oren wrote:

Damn straight. I pulled the batteries out of all the bikes and wrapped them up for the winter yesterday. It's raining now, supposed to freeze overnight so tomorrow's drive to work will be a pleasure.
rbowman wrote:

Ditto...
I don't have problems with our car door locks freezing, but one of cars (a 2004 Lincoln LS) has an annoying problem a couple of times each winter. If it's been above freezing and raining and then the temperature drops quite a bit the front passenger door latch won't do its thing and keep the door closed. Obviously something is freezing up inside the door.
I only notice this happening if a passenger gets in and the sound of the door closing and latching isn't isn't normal. If I let the engine warm up and turn the heater on full blast in about 5 minutes whatever is frozen melts and the door latching returns to normal and stays that way for a long time until the next "rain and freeze" situation.
Yeah, I know, I should pull the inside panel off that door and see what I could lube up, maybe I'll get to it this year.....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 11/26/2014 11:13 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

The quick and dirty way:
After dark, go out with the car keys, Mini Mag flash light, and WD-40 with the LRT.
Roll the window down. Lean over, look in with the mini mag. At the door edge, you should see mechanism. Use the LRT to hose down the latch mechanism.
Pull the door lock and opening handle (while watching from above into the door) to see what moves. Hose it down again with WD.
Remit $47.50 for internet consultation.