OT: Car Daytime Running Light Switch

Page 5 of 6

:)

They waste energy with the bulbs themselves AND the support circuitry required to run them at half voltage. Ironically, with the s10, it's using a 12volt relay for the DLR circuit, and, I strongly suspect a resistor to drop the voltage by half to feed thru the relay to the lights. So, the truck has additional plastic molding to hold the additional relay, the materials used to construct the relay that serves no other function, the wiring, Additional programming of the trucks computer, a photo voltaic cell (I'm assuming thats whats sitting in the middle of the dash behind the windshield to determine whether or not it should shut off DLR and run full power or not.
And, it's mass produced, so a considerable amount of energy and resources were wasted doing it. I suppose it's 'nice' that the truck turns the lights on for me if it thinks it's dark outside (ie: I entered a tunnel on a bright sunny day), but, I can turn the lights on myself. I don't need the truck to do it for me. The truck won't switch over from DLR to headlight full if it detects rain, either. It requires the outside light level to change. As, the truck in my case, has no idea something is hitting the windshield; it has no sensors to tell it anything about the windshield. It requires the light entering that cell/sensor to drop to a certain level before it'll go from DLR to full on headlights.
That's also causing an additional load on my alternator, which in turn causes the engine to have to work a little harder to keep the rpms where they should be. As, the more power demands made on the alternator, the more resistance to being turned by the engine.
Also, when one considers how much energy is consumed to make ethanol enriched gasoline (which is nearly all we have access to here in tn), it doesn't add up to a savings. It's a net loss.
on 9/12/2016, Diesel supposed :

I think it boils down to the idea that it is okay to give the fuel companies another 2 million gallons of gasoline sales per year as long as each individual only gives up a teaspoon or so under the misconception that it actually saves lives or prevents accidents.
I don't care one way or the other really, but I am *not* the one who needs to get acquainted with the facts because I am 'puzzled'. I am *not* 'in over my head' or 'the village idiot' just because I have an opinion about Ohm's Law which differs from the pack of wannabe engineers here. IMO, there are some otherwise intelligent people here who need to 'get off of their high horses' and treat others with some respect instead of denigrating everyone to make themselves feel worthy.
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 02:51:13 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[g]

Agreed. I think they assume that because we aren't 'old timer regular posters here' that we are idiots/newbies or something. If we disclosed some information about our backgrounds, the silence from the wannabes would be astounding. So quiet, you could hear a pin drop. [g]
I'm waiting for one to give me an education on IT related things. <EG>

The purpose of daytime running lights is to increase visibility in marginal conditions such as rain, mist, fog, or twilight. Many drivers don't have the good sense to turn on their headlights during such conditions, and safety is improved by having a car that's smarter than its driver.

It also makes it easier to determine direction at a distance. This helps on two-lane highways to see that a car ahead in your lane is passing oncoming vehicles and coming towards you.
Sun, 11 Sep 2016 23:06:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

That would make more sense if the DRL actually came 'online' during such events, but, they don't. They tend to run while the car is, during the daytime, bright sunshine days.. no less, until it's dark enough (or the car thinks it is) that it switches DRL off for normal headlight operation. During the bright sunshine day though, you're wasting atleast 6volts of juice per light with little gain and putting unnecessary wear and tear on the filaments in your bulbs as you do so. Lower voltage doesn't mean the filaments lifetime isn't being reduced. It's glowing, it's being reduced.
If the car was actually smarter than it's driver, it wouldn't let dumbass driver run with brightlights on as an oncoming car/truck approaches. It would turn them off for the dumbass driver. I don't know of any particular ones that do, presently.
DRL doesn't help pedestrians or cyclists though. Seems it has a negative affect on those. At the end of the day, you can't fix stupid.
I realize this newsgroup has some interesting characters who don't like outsiders upsetting the good buddy system. ROFL, my bad.
On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 3:10:40 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

There's a big difference between other drivers *needing* headlights to be on in the daytime to see the truck/car coming towards them and something that makes the vehicle *easier* to see. *Easier* is what Doug wrote.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 08:32:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

state of tune.
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 12:57:13 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think his glow plugs may not be as bright as they used to be. ;-)

Oh, my plugs are fine, thanks.
However, DRLs seemed to have a negative impact on single- vehicle injury and all crashes involving pedestrians and pedalcyclists.
LOL.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:00:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

-
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Tue, 13 Sep 2016 03:04:25 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

ROFL. If you're going to try and be a smartass with a 'witty' insult, wouldn't it be a good idea to proof read your retort for lame typos before hitting send?
Considering how well you're doing with the 2prong adapter discussion (they aren't illegal in the United States), you aren't exactly in a stellar position to be commenting on how dim you think I am.
Please, feel free to continue making more ASSumptions about what you think I do/don't know. It greatly amuses me and likely provides for a laugh or two (at your expense, I can't stress that enough) some others who do know me and some of the things I'm responsible for.
I look forward to future posts from you confusing Canadian electrical code for that of US electrical code. Not only do you confuse the two, you don't even own up and admit you were wrong, either.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:57:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Oh, I read just fine. DRL isn't 'optional' (hence my comment, needing) on cars that have it, afaik. It's illegal in some places to disable it if your car came with it, infact. And, according to atleast one nhtsa report, it doesn't increase safety. It can, oth, result in a crash that might not have happened had they not been on. IE: it doesn't make the oncoming car easier to see.
check it out for yourself:
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:57:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Except that it doesn't always make the oncoming vehicle easier to see. In fact, it might 'hide' one as another poster previously indicated.
The analysis evaluates the effects of daytime running lights (DRLs) against three types of target crashes: (1) two-passenger- vehicle crashes excluding rear-end crashes, (2) single-passenger- vehicle to pedestrians/cyclists crashes, and (3) single- passenger-vehicle to motorcycle crashes. Each crash type was examined at three crash severity levels ? fatal, injury, and all severity. The basic approach is a control-comparison analysis of real-world crash involvements for DRL-equipped vehicles and non-DRL vehicles. Ratio of odds ratios were used to derive the DRL effects. A 95-percent confidence interval was used to infer statistically significant conclusions. The Fatality Analysis Reporting System and the State Data System were the crash data sources used for this analysis.
The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the DRL effects were also not statistically significant. When examined separately for passenger cars and light trucks/vans (LTVs), DRLs in LTVs significantly reduced LTVs? involvements in the target two-vehicle crashes by 5.7 percent. However, the remaining DRL effects on these three target crashes were not statistically significant. Although not statistically significant, DRLs might have unintended consequences for pedestrians and motorcyclists. Particularly, the estimated negative effects for LTVs were relatively large and cannot be completely ignored.
For PCs and LTVs combined, DRLs seemed to have no effect on Single-PV-to- PED/CYC fatal crashes. However, DRLs seemed to have a negative impact on single- vehicle injury and all crashes involving pedestrians and pedalcyclists.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
Give yourself a 'tune up' before you concern yourself with my operational state, thanks.
Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:32:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Except that what Doug wrote isn't really backed up by facts. When you consider the additional resources spent providing this 'feature', you really are losing, not gaining. The s10 example I provided uses a 12volt relay to run the DLR circuit. 12volts to keep the relay closed so it can provide 6volts or so to the headlights. Additional wiring, additional circuitry, additional plastic molding efforts to support the relay that has no other purpose on the vehicle. Not to mention the energy used to create the relay itself, the plastic and the additinal support circuitry required for the DLR to work.
Where exactly is the benefit?
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
Interesting analysis, too. They seem to have reached the conclusion that these DLR lighting systems provide no real safety advantage for the driver or the oncoming cars, but, do infact, have a real negative effect for cyclists and pedestrians.
When you consider the energy and resources wasted to equip cars/trucks with the feature in a mass production scale, you aren't coming out ahead. You're wasting resources, instead.
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 9:09:56 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

...and that response shows that you had no clue what I was trying to say.
Moving on.
On 7/23/16 3:22 PM, Meanie wrote:

Others have suggested putting the park brake down a notch. There must be a switch right there. Maybe you could use that circuit for your on/off switch if you don't want to depress the park brake pedal.
On 7/24/2016 6:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

As replied above, it doesn't cut them out on my car.
the VIN NUMBER references everything about what features the car has