OT: Car Daytime Running Light Switch

Page 3 of 6
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 4:22:34 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Have you considered the insurance implications?
Are you getting a discount because your car is listed as having DRL? Wouldn't it suck if they denied a claim because they determined that you modified a built-in safety feature?
(Before anybody tosses something derogatory in my direction, I seriously doubt that this would ever be an issue. I'm just putting it out there. Heck for all I know, the Ins Co may not even know that the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes. Now *that's* something that could be an issue.)
On 7/23/2016 8:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Discount from insurance? LMAO! Oh wait, you're serious?
Frankly, I've been paying insurance for many many years without ever requiring the need for their service, as I'm sure many others have. Therefore, you can guess if I give a damn what they think or if I care to disclose more info than what they need.
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 9:26:26 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Yes, I'm serious. I get a discount on 2 of my 4 vehicles because they have automatic DRL.

I didn't say anything about "disclose".

Why on earth would you want to disable a safety feature that makes it easier for other drivers to see you?
On 7/23/2016 9:23 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

You missed the "more info" followup.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Again? Yeah I forgot about that debacle.
--
Tekkie

Meanie posted for all of us...

Don't they pay your mortgage?
--
Tekkie

Umm. If the other drivers need headlights to be on in the daytime to see the truck/car coming towards them, it's time for new glasses and/or contacts. Better yet, it's time to remove said asshat from the road.
Diesel used his keyboard to write :

What gets me is that we are being told to conserve energy by getting 'Energy Star' appliances, using LED and CFL bulbs, adhering to DST mandates, and yet they waste energy with DRLs which only marginally affect visibility. Idiocracy anyone?
On 9/11/2016 5:53 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

How much energy is being wasted? Unless you have numbers backing up your claim it may be you qualifying for the idiocracy.
How much load on the alternator? How many gallons of gas?
on 9/11/2016, Ed Pawlowski supposed :

Greater than zero. You don't get something for nothing.

About an estimated two million gallons of gas per year in the USA. Not much, but not zero either.

licensed drivers, equals a whopping SEVEN TEASPOONS of gasoline per driver per year.
Don't you have anything more important to worry about? Sheesh. Get a grip.
Doug Miller has brought this to us :

It's even less per day, or per minute. What's your point? Do you think it becomes negative if you go with smaller and smaller intervals?

I'm not the one making a big deal out of it, you are.

No, of course not. The point -- obviously so, except, apparently, to you -- is that the amount wasted is completely insignificant.

the waste of this trifling amount. DRLs are proven to improve safety. The cost is 7 teaspoons of gasoline per driver per year. You apparently think that's a big deal. You need to get a grip.
Doug Miller submitted this idea :

They apparently cared enough about the trifling amount to not want taillights to be included in the DRL scenario. Why not, if it is so trifling an amount? Have you even read anything other than blogs about this subject?
On 9/12/2016 8:53 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Well duh, taillights are not on. only front lights.
I also take issue with the numbers. They used simple math that it takes X power to make a given amount of energy. It is not linear.
You need X power to turn the alternator no matter how much power is actually generated. If the car was usung a lot of electrical drvices the add on may be accurate. It it is sing very little it may not take any additional power for the energy consumed. Remember, the alternator is turning based on the rpm of the engine.
For the past few decades I've run manufacturing plants. It takes a certain amount of fuel to bring the boilers up to pressure. When we start one of the small machines we see zero increase in consumption because what we don't use is otherwise lost at idle. That 7 teaspoons a day may really be 3.
Ed Pawlowski submitted this idea :

Well duh, my question was why not have taillights on too if it is so trifling an amount.

Wrong, the power generated affects how much work it takes to turn the generator.

Every bit of additonal energy means additional work to turn the generator or alternator. This additional work means more gasoline is used.

Apples and oranges, we aren't driving Stanley Steamers with DRLs.
On 9/12/2016 8:26 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Taillight are not deemed to have a benefit as DRL are.

While the power generated can affect the energy needed, even if no power is generated the hardware still is tuening. You have frictional load from bearings and anything else making contact.

That is true once it exceeds the basic load of turning the equipment. If no power is used the alternator does not stop, it is still turning making minimal power, needed or not. Unless you have a clutch to disengage or remove the belt, it is using power from the engine to spin. If it spins it makes electricity and it may be enough to power the DRL with no additional load.
I've not seen any tests done to actually measure the difference, only theoretical derivatives.

Ed Pawlowski laid this down on his screen :

Even in low visibility conditions? Come on, you can do better than that. If the performance hit is negligible - why not?
Plus, DRL benefits are disputed.

Yes, minus the magnetic effect which is added when the electrical load increases. If the 'energy fairy' concept works for you that's fine, but don't expect me to buy it.

Bullshit! The effect of 'generation' is actually only 'conversion' and the more you demand, the harder it is to turn the rotor and the more chemical energy is converted to electrical energy. It matters not whether it is friction or friction plus magnetism that the engine is overcoming.

Well maybe you should then. Hook up a generator to a lamp or other device through a switch. Hand crank the generator with the switch open, then have somebody throw the switch on.
On 9/12/2016 10:09 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

If there are low visibility conditions your headlights should be on. Wipers on, headlights on. Half hour beforse sunset, hald hour after sunrise. Fog, mist whatever.

Apples/oranges. The alternator on a car is spinning pretty fast when the engine rpm is 1.000 and more. Wasting power in many cases.