(OT) Car coolant question

With you? You always come disarmed. Where's the fun in that?

Of course I'm right but not because I'm smart, rather you're so damned dumb.
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:28:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

<smile>

The severely retarded usually just smile when someone tells them the truth.
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:40:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I guess you speak from experience. Hope you took your meds lately.

Well, yes, I've been talking to you long enough.

Of course, twice a day. It's clear that you need real help though, Douggie. A very long-sleeved jacket would do it.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:30:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Obvious you need more medicine or more doseage so you better get yourself checked out soon.

You really are a dumbshit. ...and really proud of it.

I watched a show where the builder of some vehicle decided to not use radiator. Ran full out for probably less than a minute before it went south.
Greg
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:02:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

No radiator.... heck no. Or if you do, you won't have any need to fix the radiator.

I think 15-20 seconds would be max.
Greg

How long is your garden hose ?
Greg

Depends on the car and engine - what thermal mass does it have? Some engines will run at low power for HOURS with no coolant. Others are scrap in 5 minutes. The important thing is how long it takes to get the critical parts of the engine heated up to the critical temperature. If you are not stupid enough to pour cold water into it, most engines can stand 300 degrees F without damaging the valves, rings, cyls, bearings, block, heads or gaskets under light load.
HOWEVER - I would at least block the hoses and fill it with water, and better yet short circuit the rad hoses. The water in the block will take more than 5 minutes to heat to the point the thermostat would open.
This time of year, it should be OK. Watch the dash gages in case it warms up, or the temp light comes on. If that happens, shut off the engine, lift the hood till it cools down.
I had to remove my car's radiator to get it repaired. That may take several days to a week, since the repair shop is real busy. I want to move the car to a differerent place on the property. It will take 5 minutes at most to start it and move it. Is it safe to run an engine without coolant for a short time like this? It's an 80's car with 6 cyl engine if that matters. I dont think it can get real hot in that amount of time, but I thought I'd ask. I'm handy with cars, but no mechanic.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Dash light is controlled by a sensor in the water. No water, no sensing. ooops, too late

Cute !!
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Without coolant the guage will in all likelihood never go up - or the light come on. Bothe measure COOLANT temperature, not engine temperature. No coolant, no indication.
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:34:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, this is correct. The sensor goes right into the coolant. The last time I changed a sensor, I had to drain the coolant first, or it would have spilled all over the place.
On Jan 26, 6:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Connect the two open hose ends together after filling as much water as possible, use several wraps of duct tape to hold them together. Then go for it, just keep an eye on the temp gauge that it doesn't go up much past the midrange and you're fine.