OT car auction

Page 2 of 4

auction:

Look at advertising. It's about addicting people to become materialistic consumers in order to enrich the owners of the production chain and (incidentally) keep employment up. IOW, it's about making and keeping people wage-slaves.
On 8/19/2013 10:09 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Seems that our economy is dependent on such things. I wonder how many people either have or can even save up enough to make a purchase like that. If you had to pay cash, sales would plummet. Hopefully, with a tangible asset they can at least stay ahead of the depreciation.
How about the people that take a home equity loan so they can take a fancy vacation? A woman at work wanted to take cash out of her 401k to buy a big screen TV. I guess that is more important than retiring some day.
Few people have any money management ability it seems. A conversation came up at work recently. My shipper just bought a house and he is going to need a new car soon. After closing on the house, he said he has $4000 to put down. We have 20 employees. Of the 20, only four of us have that much money in the bank. Everyone has it in the 401k that they cannot touch, but for savings, some have less than $100.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

purchasers, $29,000 doesn't seem that much more unrealistic than $21,000.

On 8/19/2013 7:09 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

instant gratification as opposed to delayed gratification
chaniarts wrote:

less happier because of it. In fact, I think they were probably happier because of it.
On 8/20/2013 7:06 PM, Bill wrote:

I've had periods of little savings in my younger days. I'm happier knowing if the refrigerator dies I have the cash to buy a new one. I rnjoy vacations knowing I won't br in debt when we get home. If I knew when I was going to die, I'd plan to die broke on the last day.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Because you'd otherwise feel unfulfilled? I'm like you in the sense that I don't like to worry--any more than is already built into the game.

Ed has it right. One works to make money. One makes money to buy things. One saves to buy things at a future time. If there is no future...

I don't like to worry but I'm not totally negative on borrowing. Debt isn't going to kill me but I also have a decent positive net worth.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

around at the time. One leaves various sorts of legacies. If one's days are numbered few, "things" surely take on a different perspective. Money isn't the only thing to be gained from work either. I've seen people who's days were severely numbered, work until they couldn't. I'm sure you folks know this stuff, so I'll quit trying to explain to people who don't need it anymore than me. Enjoy.

Let me ask you a question. Answer honestly! If you weren't paid, would you show up to work tomorrow?

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

The eagle flies on Friday, so yes. ; ) In the news, you'll find a few people who win the lottery and don't quit their jobs. Explain that?!

I don't believe you.

Ever notice that the "news" doesn't ask again in a month?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Do you think if a dyed-in-the-wool farmer hit the lottery that he would quit farming?
Do you think Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, The Wright Brothers, Paul Erdos, worked as hard as they did "for the money"?

On 8/24/2013 12:15 AM, Bill wrote:

I think it was fame(facetious), very few people think of the most important inventor of them all in the last few hundred years, Nikola Tesla. He was smarter than Thomas Edison but most folks know nothing about him because Edison had a better press agent. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 05:59:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It't hard to include crazies in these sorts of discussions, though there is some of that in all "inventors". Tesla was the Macadamia of the nutties, though.

You are using what he invented every day of your life. Crazy people are the most creative and the mainstream always seems to shun them until they are needed, like during wartime. World governments sought out the crazies during WWII in order to come up with ways to win the war. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:51:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That doesn't change the fact that Tesla was a certifiable nutcase. Much of what people today attribute to his genius might as well be aliens in Area 51.

Yea, he was such a nutcase that The FBI scarfed up all his papers after his death. I really have to wonder what secret devices the government developed from the crazy genius's work? ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:25:15 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Put down the refer. The black helicopters are really dark blue.

Yea, they're outside my home right now. I saw a floating eyeball outside my window a while ago. It was an "eyeborg" that new surveillance device the secret government agencies are using to spy on us insignificant citizens. O_o
TDD