OT/ Canada Going Down the Tubes :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/us-montreal-mayor-idUSBRE95G0GB20130617
Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals, police said during a morning news conference.
Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.
Yeah, that was on both the CTV and CBC news today.
For decades there's been whispering that the construction industry in Quebec was in cohoots with the mafia, and a task force to root out all the corruption has been doing a pretty effective job at finding out who's been lining their pockets with money from government construction projects.
The previous mayor was forced to resign about 7 months ago (last November), and his replacement was seen as being clean as a whistle.
But, apparantly, this task force is digging pretty deep, because the two projects that Applebaum was arrested for were done back in 2003.
I guess they figure if he's ever had his hands in the cookie jar, he's dirty, and needs to go.
I'm just glad that they're getting rid of corruption in Quebec politics. It's been going on too long.
--
nestork

Please don't tar the whole country with the same brush as Montreal (or Quebec) or the "big buffoon" in "Toronto the good"
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:20:11 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/us-montreal-mayor-idUSBRE95G0GB20130617

Are you referring to that big bozo alleged cocaine snorter and all-round big bag of shit Ford? Yah!...he's one for the books, that boy.
In

i think he is referring to Home Guy<g>

You said it - I didn't - but yes, I'm talking about Toronto's Pillsbury Doughboy and all round punching bag.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:41:02 AM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/us-montreal-mayor-idUSBRE95G0GB20130617

I had been considering retiring to Canada to get away from the problems in the U.S. but it looks like you have the same stuff going on. I guess everybody everywhere does, and probably always has.
'Pavel314[_2_ Wrote: > ;3081455']

> in the U.S. but it looks like you have the same stuff going on. I guess > everybody everywhere does, and probably always has.
We have the same problems, but they're smaller because we only have 1/10 the population of the US. That is, we only have 1/10 of the school shootings, 1/10 of marital relationships ending in murder-suicides, 1/10 of the number of serial killers, and 1/10 of the number of people trying to poison the local city's drinking water supply.
So, you can say life is a bit slower here.
--
nestork

Maybe fewer serial killers. It j