OT - Canada for President

Page 1 of 4
Sorry it had to come to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqN_nXee4-I

-C-
Han wrote:

Giggle.
The interesting part about the upcoming election will not be the qualifications of the Republican candidate.
The election will be solely about four more years or not.

If the various challenges to Obama's candidacy get traction across the country, Obama will have a hard time running when disqualified in various states.

Maybe not.

Please tell me why a sitting president would not be qualified to run for a second term. Any challenges to his being able to run are now moot. And they never were valid in the first place.
--
Best regards
Han

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/16567672/ga-judge-orders-president-to-appear-at-hearing
On 1/24/2012 10:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/16567672/ga-judge-orders-president-to-appear-at-hearing "It's one of many such lawsuits that have been filed across the country, so far without success." <yawn>

Perhaps, but completely irrelevant. ...as is usual for your posts.
On 1/25/2012 7:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Did you read your article before you posted it? I thought not.

I know you didn't. No one is that dumb. Oh, wait...

From your link: "It's one of many such lawsuits that have been filed across the country, so far without success."
--
Best regards
Han

Even then it just about the primary. I am thinking Mr, O could probably still get the nomination w/o GA if needed.

And in the general, GA's 16 electoral votes are already in the [light] red column, but he's got 92 extras to play with.
Jim

Now you've got it right! Although, I believe there is at least 1 state whose electoral votes are going to be distributed according to popular vote ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/26/12 6:26 PM, Han wrote:

Maine was the first state to allot their votes that way, Nebraska is second. The winner of each congressional district in Nebraska gets one electoral vote. The overall winner gets the two votes representing the two senators. Obama got 1 electoral college vote last election, McCain got 4.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:37:47 -0600, Dean Hoffman

That is the *dumbest* thing a state could do. Doesn't surprise me that the Mainics bought into it, though.
On 1/26/12 9:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not even close. A state awarding its electoral votes based on the national vote totals holds that distinction. From Wikipedia: http://tinyurl.com/2ud245
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:39:28 -0600, Dean Hoffman

The mitigating fact is that the states won't award electoral votes based on national vote until enough states pass such a constitutional amendment to give the needed electoral votes. It's not *that* dumb. Misguided, to be sure. A state diluting what electoral votes it has is just plain *stupid*.

I would suggest that apportioning does exactly the opposite. Currently you get a few big EC states that get all the attention because it is winner take all. The candidates can, and do, ignore most of the others. With votes apportioned in some manner, smaller states become more important again as every COngressional district is theoretically in play. Would also make election night much more interesting.

Actually, no. The bubble states get the attention.

The popular vote would make sure the small states in flyover country would get *no* interest.

No, it's actually just the opposite. Popular vote would concentrate the interest in the large metropolitan areas, leaving flyover country without representation at all. The founders didn't just throw together the Constitution. There was a *lot* of thought put into this.
Small states have a far larger representation in Congress (and the Electoral College) relative to their size, than large states. This wasn't done by accident.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:39:28 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I think you win that round!
The number of people who support it in a poll is a little less than that 4yr old Wash. Post poll-- but still a majority- http://www.gallup.com/poll/150245/Americans-Swap-Electoral-College-Popular-Vote.aspx?ref=image
That said, IME, most casual observers think the Electoral College is outdated. Most folks who take the time to study the *why* it is there, and the *how* it usually works, support keeping it. I'm one of the converts.
Jim