OT - camping lantern choices

Page 4 of 4
On 1/19/2016 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

I think the white gas options throw more light. E.g., I'd not put my CFL lantern up to "light a campsite" whereas it was common to do so with the white gas lantern -- especially around the cooksite. Lots of energy pent up in dead dinosaurs!

I think the only "incandescent" flashlight I have left is the Thor-X: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> It's a perfect example of the inefficiency of incandescent technology; it is notably *hot* in front of the beam! And, it literally *eats* batteries!!
The bigger downside, however, is that it is totally impractical to use! I can light up houses blocks away, "accidentally". :<
bob_villain posted for all of us...

Don't forget the radioactivity from the mantles...
--
Tekkie

On 01/19/2016 01:15 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I have an Aladdin kerosene lantern that is an excellent light source. It became problematic when the old ladies in charge decided thorium had to be eliminated to make the world safe for children. I believe Aladdin has went to an alternate. I haven't tried one but understand the light output is diminished.
On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 10:43:18 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:

here with a hand-me-down. Coleman twin-mantel and Coleman fuel...it's like smelling napalm in the morning!

Radioactivity from the mantles.
What a joke.
I am 60 + yrs old and still around.
I used tons of Coleman lanterns. :-)
But I think that LED lanterns are probably a better bet.
They won't melt tents as much as the white gas models. :-)
Andy
On 1/19/2016 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:

I remember that in camp stoves, some are "dual fuel" which is Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline.
The LED lantens I have over the years, not bright enough to be useful. One camping trip, I tried my LED lantern to walk from the camp fire back to my vehicle. Not bright enough. Had to get out my LED flash light and shine that down the trail.
Didn't have my Ozark fluorescent to try, but I think that would have worked fine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/19/2016 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:

How old are they? The Colemans I have are plenty bright for reading. They are about 2 years old and may be better than stuff from the past.
On 1/19/2016 9:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Newer LED's (the actual diodes) are much brighter. And, I think the power sources (NiMH and LiIon) are much more stable (than NiCd, for example). Couple that with smarter driver circuits (that try to control current through the LED's instead of voltage across them)
I've had several "lantern form factor" are lights that would quickly dim as the battery voltage sagged.