OT - camping lantern choices

Page 1 of 4
A friend of mine is considering a two mantle lantern for power cuts and camping. Mine is propane, he prefers Coleman fuel. Which do you like, and why? Does one have a big advantage?
Wick lamps for ultra pure or kerosene don't put out enough light.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/18/2016 8:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Have you looked at the LED lanterns? Very bright and 40 hours on a set of batteries. If you are looking at indoor use for power failure they are much safer too. I have a couple of them.
On 01/18/2016 07:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I should take another look at them. I've got a Coleman rechargeable LED lantern with a mirrored conical reflector. It's better than cursing the darkness but not by much.
http://www.coleman.com/product/led-rechargeable-lantern/2000001562
rbowman wrote:

old fashioned mantle type running on white gas. I mean old Coleman lantern.
On 1/18/2016 10:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Power cuts often happen in the winter, when that heat is welcome.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/18/2016 10:03 PM, rbowman wrote:

My LED lantern has a silver tornado funnel reflector. One I had with a tornado reflector, I tried spray painting the reflector flat white. More even light spread that way. But still not bright enough to be useful.
Walmart has a cheap fluorescent lantern that is bright enough to be useful.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/19/2016 06:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was hoping to use mine to light a 8x12 shed. It was bright enough to see large objects but too dim to see any detail. Since I was reloading I didn't want to use the propane lantern.
On 1/19/2016 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:

The Walmart brand fluorescent lanterns take four D cells, and much brighter.
Walmart also has "closet lights" in the small electrical section, 4 D cells, and can mount to the wall. Or, ceiling, if you're creative. I have a closet light over the light switch in my bedroom, for power outs.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

YOu may want to look into the led shop lights. Get one of them for about $ 40 and a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter from Harbor Freight for about $ 20, the lowest powered one should be plenty and a deep cycle battery. Or maybe get one of their 120 volt generators for about $ 100 or less on sale. The generator probably will not last too long, but not that much either. You could power a lot of light with that thing and it should not cost that much to run. Just put it outside the building and on the opposite side of the door so no CO gets into the shed.
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 08:43:29 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I have several hand-held led lanterns that run on D cells - 20 LEDs on high and 10 on low - Plenty bright to read by - even with cataracts. The LED landing lights we are putting on the Pegazair will light up a full 2 stoy building from 600 feet away bright as day - and blind you if you are looking at them. I think they are 40 watts - mabee 60. And that's real power consumption - not "equivalent"

what type of batteries does this come with?
On 1/19/2016 8:56 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

Five hours on high -- not long enough to be useful, I'd think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

what type of batteries?
On 1/19/2016 9:58 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

Internal, rechargable. Which suggests sub c nicads. My question, is there a provision for primary cells for when the nicads go flat? Or are you in the dark till you can recharge?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That "suggestion" is a wild ass guess. Could be anything.
On 1/19/2016 10:28 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

Only been working on consumer electronics for forty or so years. Yep, wild ass guess.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

it could not ***possibly*** be any of the other rechargeable technologies?
On 1/19/2016 1:37 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Having been working on consumer electronics for 40 or so years, I disagree with your last text.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

maybe you should get more current.
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:47:03 -0500, Stormin Mormon

drawer cheapassed stuff.